I predict Picard will be total garbage

They are raping a beloved franchise for cheap partisan points..

You think Kirk kissing Uhura wasn't making a point?
Not really. Everyone knew Kirk was randy as hell.

Ah, no, Wayne. The entire point of Uhura, Sulu, Scott, Chekov and especially Spock was to break the entire doctrine of fear of all white all the time and drive home the message that all people of every race (or planet) are equal, and can live together in peace and harmony toward a higher end than mere acquisition of wealth or power.

Yes, the Kirk/Uhura kiss was aimed straight at testing and breaking the racial boundary on TV, but Kirk didn't kiss her because he was "randy," he kissed her because he was being forced to by the people there where he was at.
Its a joke. I've probably forgotten more Star Trek than most people will ever know.

BTW, here is a hint. SF writers have been breaking the whole "white man" thing (a more self-hating phrase has never been uttered) since the early part of the last century.

Star Trek just put on film what was already going on in books.

Good to hear. But I haven't forgotten any Star Trek. I've probably forgotten more than you ever knew to begin with. I have Sci-Fi books dating back to the 1940s and Amazing Stories and Plastic Man. I'm familiar with every famous writer plus some I doubt you've ever heard of. It was always a white-dominated medium written by mostly white people. If you have examples of Blacks having roles, dominant roles in early 20th century science fiction, I'd love to see it! Seems writers were more comfortable introducing space aliens long before they were comfortable accepting the black man as just "one of the guys." Roddenberry broke that.

The last thing we need is another Star Trek show, especially one featuring Jean Luc Picard, a very boring character from the very boring Next Generation show.

These people are out of ideas. This is pure exploitation hoping to make money. Worse, it is on CBS ALL ACCESS like ST Discovery. That kills it right there. I became quite fond of The Orville ITMT on Fox. Now, I've heard they are taking that off television and moving it to Hulu. Oh well. Fuck 'em. I hope they lose their shirts doing that. I won't be manipulated like that. Want to put it on a steaming service? Fine, but put it on TV as well.

Hell will freeze over before I invest all kinds of money on more hardware and services and have to pay $44 a month to watch one TV show I used to see for free.

Too funny. A conservative whining about capitalism at work...

No jackass, as an expert and connoisseur in Star Trek, I refuse to see it crassly exploited for sheer profit. Star Trek was originally the vision of one man, a guy who started out a cop in LA. It had a message and a vision about the future, and by his own admission, due to interference and stupidity by the NBC network constantly fighting him over everything, starving him of money, that vision really only lasted for the first season of the original Star Trek. After that, it has all been down hill.

Now "Star Trek" is nothing more than rehashing old characters and themes with lots of space ships and special effects in order to keep the "franchise" alive. Technically, if you want to see the real STAR TREK, you have to go back to 1964, two years before the show aired on TV, and watch the original pilot rejected by NBC called 'The Cage' later woven into two episodes to save money and repackaged as 'The Menagerie.'

Also watch the film "Forbidden Planet", which was a huge initial influence on ST.

The last thing we need is another Star Trek show, especially one featuring Jean Luc Picard, a very boring character from the very boring Next Generation show.

These people are out of ideas. This is pure exploitation hoping to make money. Worse, it is on CBS ALL ACCESS like ST Discovery. That kills it right there. I became quite fond of The Orville ITMT on Fox. Now, I've heard they are taking that off television and moving it to Hulu. Oh well. Fuck 'em. I hope they lose their shirts doing that. I won't be manipulated like that. Want to put it on a steaming service? Fine, but put it on TV as well.

Hell will freeze over before I invest all kinds of money on more hardware and services and have to pay $44 a month to watch one TV show I used to see for free.

Too funny. A conservative whining about capitalism at work...

No jackass, as an expert and connoisseur in Star Trek, I refuse to see it crassly exploited for sheer profit. Star Trek was originally the vision of one man, a guy who started out a cop in LA. It had a message and a vision about the future, and by his own admission, due to interference and stupidity by the NBC network constantly fighting him over everything, starving him of money, that vision really only lasted for the first season of the original Star Trek. After that, it has all been down hill.

Now "Star Trek" is nothing more than rehashing old characters and themes with lots of space ships and special effects in order to keep the "franchise" alive. Technically, if you want to see the real STAR TREK, you have to go back to 1964, two years before the show aired on TV, and watch the original pilot rejected by NBC called 'The Cage' later woven into two episodes to save money and repackaged as 'The Menagerie.'

Also watch the film "Forbidden Planet", which was a huge initial influence on ST.

Not sure how much FP was on shaping Star Trek, but it is certainly one of the greatest Sci-Fi Movies of ALL time! Nothing better as a kid than to sit down on a Saturday night, get real stoned, and watch that on the late, late horror show!

Picard was a mess. I do not find his goal of "saving" some robot girl to be a compelling plot.

Kirk-Spock-McCoy made the first show interesting. After that, all characters in Star Trek were bland and uninteresting, except perhaps Data.

# 1, how can you say such a thing?

LMAO!!

I have to agree.
  • Chekov had everything as a "Russian invwention."
  • Uhura had her drop dead body and gorgeous singing voice.
  • Scotty's engines were always on the verge of exploding. No wonder he drank.
  • And Worf's exploits on the Klingon Homeworld with brother Kurn fighting the Durass Family for control of the Counsel against the Romulan incursion and the loss of his mate was a CENTERPIECE of TNG.

LOL. You are confused Moon Bat.

Liberalism has been proven in history to be a failure time and time again and the idea that it will produce an utopia in the future is nothing more that Hollywood Liberal Limousine fantasy science fiction.

Really? Frankly, we were pretty liberal between 1932 and 1980, and we did nothing but grow as a country and an economy.

Then Ronnie Reagan took over and drove us into the ditch.

If you want a dose of economic reality go read Robert Heinlein's book "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress". Anybody that read that book and understood it would never vote for a Democrat or any Liberal. That is where the phrase "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" came from.

Heinlein was a fascist...

Yup. All Downhill from there. Seven More TV series, 13 major theatrical releases... clearly the people running it were totally fucking it up after Season 1.

The thing was, Roddenberry wanted to do high-concept Science Fiction... but his vision was saved by people like DC Fontana, Gene Coon and others who actually knew what they were doing.

What really saved Star Trek was that these "hacks" as you call them got it to three seasons. Three Seasons meant enough to go into syndication. This allow people to take second and third looks at it and allowed it to develop a cult following. Which lead to all the movies and spinoff and why we are still talking about it today.

So the issue is Romulan refugees after their star went supernova.

Not very subtle.

So, what the fuck happened to the Romulan FUCKING EMPIRE?
I was wondering that myself. The Romulan star is a bit vague while hinting that it is the Romulan home star. It could have been any Romulan star. They are, after all, a Star Empire, are they not?

And what about asking their cousins for help? I'm sure the Vulcan's would send ships immediately!

The lack of respect for cannon, is disgusting.

These woke libtard bastards want to make a point about refugees, and they are too fucking lazy to do so, without shitting all over decades of fandom.

How the fuck hard would it be, to write up a situation, that makes the point, without also showcasing how little respect you have for the franchise AND the fans?

Ah, no, Wayne. The entire point of Uhura, Sulu, Scott, Chekov and especially Spock was to break the entire doctrine of fear of all white all the time and drive home the message that all people of every race (or planet) are equal, and can live together in peace and harmony toward a higher end than mere acquisition of wealth or power.

Yes, the Kirk/Uhura kiss was aimed straight at testing and breaking the racial boundary on TV, but Kirk didn't kiss her because he was "randy," he kissed her because he was being forced to by the people there where he was at.

The difference is that, at the time, it was the first interracial kiss on tv. It was actually brave and ground breaking.

NOw? Now the stupid points that Picard is going to make, are ALL OVER THE AIRWAVES, CONSTANTLY.

Instead of a brave voice raising a point that has not been heard, hollywood is just joining in the baaing of the massive flock of woke sheep.

So the issue is Romulan refugees after their star went supernova.

Not very subtle.

So, what the fuck happened to the Romulan FUCKING EMPIRE?

The Romulan Star Empire was a small, very limited association of stars. Likely a galactic star cluster (a group of stars born together who wander apart like the Pleiades). The idea that the home star went supernova and exploded is bullshit. Stars don't just blow up, these things don't happen overnight. In all cases, any kind of stellar explosion would have been preceded by millions and millions of years of a planet being uninhabitable, anyway.

The point is, they would have had plenty of other planets of their own, already , to relocate their people onto.

Yup. All Downhill from there. Seven More TV series, 13 major theatrical releases... clearly the people running it were totally fucking it up after Season 1.

The thing was, Roddenberry wanted to do high-concept Science Fiction... but his vision was saved by people like DC Fontana, Gene Coon and others who actually knew what they were doing.

What really saved Star Trek was that these "hacks" as you call them got it to three seasons. Three Seasons meant enough to go into syndication. This allow people to take second and third looks at it and allowed it to develop a cult following. Which lead to all the movies and spinoff and why we are still talking about it today.

LOOK you bone brain, do you idiots ALWAYS rewrite the facts to your convenience? Those TV series (two of which have never been on TV and one of which has only had ONE episode so far), and the movies, that only speaks to the commercial success and exploitation of the franchise, NOT to how faithfully it has held to Gene's vision, desires or wishes. By the middle of the 2nd season, Coon was basically fired, Gene was so pissed at how far he had strayed while he was away on other projects, and by the 3rd season, Gene was divorced from the show altogether, fed up with NBC, moved on to other things and no longer gave a crap if it lived or died.

THE ONLY OTHER Star Trek spin off he's had direct involvement in (other than consulting for some of the movies), was The Next Generation, which was actually spun off from the shards of Star Trek II, a failed attempt to bring ST back to television, and he only did it because the network assured him full creative control. As to his vision being "saved" by Dorothy or Coon, these were two people whom Gene groomed into the roles so that they could share some of the load which was too much for one man. Anything they "knew" they only knew by dint of Roddenberry who was the fount for all things Star Trek.

What is being offered now on CBS All Access is puke thrown out there for Trekkies who will swoon for anything with space battles, aliens and ray guns.

LOOK you bone brain, do you idiots ALWAYS rewrite the facts to your convenience? Those TV series (two of which have never been on TV and one of which has only had ONE episode so far), and the movies, that only speaks to the commercial success and exploitation of the franchise, NOT to how faithfully it has held to Gene's vision, desires or wishes. By the middle of the 2nd season, Coon was basically fired, Gene was so pissed at how far he had strayed while he was away on other projects, and by the 3rd season, Gene was divorced from the show altogether, fed up with NBC, moved on to other things and no longer gave a crap if it lived or died.

Uh, guy, you give Roddenberry too much credit. Take a look at his IMDB listing.

Ever hear of the Questor Tapes? Or Genesis II? Of course you didn't.. because they were crap.

And those were the ones he could get someone to do a pilot on.

David Gerrold said it best. "Gene was a TV Producer. A TV producer is what happens when a human being falls asleep next to a bag full of money."

THE ONLY OTHER Star Trek spin off he's had direct involvement in (other than consulting for some of the movies), was The Next Generation, which was actually spun off from the shards of Star Trek II, a failed attempt to bring ST back to television, and he only did it because the network assured him full creative control.

Indeed. And the first season of TNG was crap!!! Besides having Wesley Crusher (the most annoying character in Science Fiction besides Jar-Jar Binks) the stories were dumb, preachy and really annoying. Thankfully for all involved, Rick Berman kind if eased him out and let the show breathe by developing the characters.

What is being offered now on CBS All Access is puke thrown out there for Trekkies who will swoon for anything with space battles, aliens and ray guns.

And why is that a bad thing? Sounds like they know their target audience.

Uh, guy, you give Roddenberry too much credit.
You mean I give Gene credit for creating Star Trek and revolutionizing all of science fiction from basically space operas with Flash Gordon rockets to a believable model of the future all based in credible theory researched out by the Rand Corporation? Gee.

Ever hear of the Questor Tapes? Or Genesis II? Of course you didn't..
Of course you are wrong as always. I've seen them, Planet Earth and others a dozen times and have most of them on DVD. Planet Earth was weak and based on Gen II which wasn't bad, but The Questor Tapes was a fabulous story with a killer ending that was made into a pilot but like 90% of all risky pilots, didn't get picked up by the network because network reps are more interested in keeping their jobs than good television. What else would you like to know?

And those were the ones he could get someone to do a pilot on.
How many pilots have you written, produced or sold?

David Gerrold said it best. "Gene was a TV Producer. A TV producer is what happens when a human being falls asleep next to a bag full of money."
David is an ass who wrote one good novel, The Space Skimmer. The Producer is everything. Gene worked his BUTT off doing the work of ten people to get Star Trek on the air. He single-handedly produced the first half of the 1st season! Today, they have half a dozen producers.

Indeed. And the first season of TNG was crap!!! Besides having Wesley Crusher (the most annoying character in Science Fiction besides Jar-Jar Binks) the stories were dumb, preachy and really annoying.
It had its problems. They were trying to find their way redoing a TV cult classic without trying to appear to compete with or replace a venerable icon. The actors were uncomfortable for the same reasons. Some of it got a little preachy. It took a season to smooth out. That was mostly DC Fontana that preached. Wesley never bothered me, it was Dr. Crusher I couldn't stand. But all in all, the 1st season had a number of good episodes, regardless.

I can't help it if the truth hurts you. You just want to justify your love of the new crap because you'll suck up anything with space battles and people with rubber faces. Far far better than Discovery or Picard put together is The Orville. It is more 'star trek' than those two.

Last edited:

The Kirk character would kiss and ph uk anything if it moved.

I'm sorry, I can kind of see an advantage of streaming services... I'm paying directly for the shows I want to see as opposed to the whims of advertisers as to what they put their money behind.
If we still had just a few major networks with no cable and other options most shows like Picard would not even be ideas let alone considered as a series. Hits today can have very few viewers compared to the past.

The Kirk character would kiss and ph uk anything if it moved.

That explains why all of Kirk's love interests were dogs. o_O

tumblr_nrsndceWuR1uagjl6o2_1280.jpg

bff3c8fa65194af2a1ca7774c7ee1088--star-trek--star-trek-original.jpg

407cd09c525f09cba566b5bf3085737a.jpg

Picard was a mess. I do not find his goal of "saving" some robot girl to be a compelling plot.
Yet.

You see, this is a single, 45 min. episode. If you judge that quickly, you really have no business offering learned opinion.

Like all series, its off to an awkward start.

Its a joke. I've probably forgotten more Star Trek than most people will ever know.

BTW, here is a hint. SF writers have been breaking the whole "white man" thing (a more self-hating phrase has never been uttered) since the early part of the last century.

Star Trek just put on film what was already going on in books.

Good to hear. But I haven't forgotten any Star Trek. I've probably forgotten more than you ever knew to begin with. I have Sci-Fi books dating back to the 1940s and Amazing Stories and Plastic Man. I'm familiar with every famous writer plus some I doubt you've ever heard of. It was always a white-dominated medium written by mostly white people. If you have examples of Blacks having roles, dominant roles in early 20th century science fiction, I'd love to see it! Seems writers were more comfortable introducing space aliens long before they were comfortable accepting the black man as just "one of the guys." Roddenberry broke that.
I find it laughable to think that you believe you know more. I've only been watching and wrapped in the genre since I was 5 years old when I was watching the Original Series as it actually happened. Then the decade and a half of reruns, syndications, and more books than I can count. I have SF from the early part of the last century.

But hey, if it floats your boat, knock yourself out. I will just carry on secure in My knowledge and enjoyment of ScyFi AND Fantasy with my particular love of Star Trek.

Forum List

Back