I must say it is silly to boycott any network

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by actsnoblemartin, Jun 9, 2007.

1. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    The candidates , both republican and democrat should be willing and open, to debates hosted by any network. To be honest, I was very disapointed with msnbc, what kind of questions were those, "what do you NOT like about america". I know chris matthews is a partisan, could he atleast be honest about it.

Secondly, I know fox news is slanted a bit right, but ive seen democratic strategists, democrats, and even people with liberal leanings on their channel. They are not satan, to be honest, I like cnn best. I think they are the most in the middle of the three majors (msnbc, cnn, fox)

BBC is preety good too.

your thoughts please?

2. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    democratic debates are first and foremost designed to reach and influence democratic primary voters. If I wanted to maximize the viewing audience, Faux News would not be my choice.

If you wanted to get a maximum audience for the NFL draft, for example, you would not broadcast it on Lifetime.

3. actsnoblemartin

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    True, but i dont like the spirit of what it says. As you well know my dear friend, one of those men will be the democratic nominee and im sure there are democrats and independants who watch fox news. It would be like the republicans boycotting msnbc because they think its too liberal. But i digress maineman, how is your day going, and what is your favorite news station.

4. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    This isn't the presidential debates..it is the debates that precede the primaries.... I am sure that there are some moderate democrats and independent voters who watch Faux.... but you need to realize that in the primaries, all candidates run to the sides to capture their committed base -who are the ones who actually VOTE in primaries...and then, when they get the nomination, they run to the middle to capture the center of the bell curve. The majority of Faux voters will not really like what the democratic presidential candidate has to say during the general election campaign, they will really not like what democratic primary candidates have to say!

Re: news channels... I watch them all...but probably spend more time on CNN than the others.

5. Superlative

Superlative Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    They serve no purpose in informing the public.

Their sole purpose is PR.

They shouldnt even be called Debates, no one is actually Debating anything, they are Question and Answer sessions, sometimes they dont get to answer with anything more than a raised hand.

They are ridiculous, and an easy way for the media to gather fodder for blasting the candidates on the front page.

its a elimination process, it gets rid of the candidates that cant speak well in public, and those that have trouble forming coherent sentances.

Dont ask me how Bush got by this.

Its a way to measure public feeling toward ceratin candidates. Since the candidates are so far removed from the little people.

The "Debates" are designed to help the candidates gather information for themselves,(PR) they find what resonates best with the viewers and they hit those notes more and more as the whole process moves on.

These "Debates" are not for the better understanding of the candidates by the public.

They are for a better understanding of the public for the candidates.

It doesnt matter what network they are on, it actually serves as a benefit to have them on specific networks, then the candidates actually get the necessary feedback and public polling info they want from their specific voters.

Why should Democrats discuss anything on a Republican Network? Republicans most likely going to vote Republican.

If the Dems want to know the opinions of Democratic voters they want to broadcast on those specific networks, same as Republicans, its called a Target market.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    maineman wrote:
    This is actually the best response I have seen so far as to why the Democratic candidates refused to debate on FoxNews. It is logical, makes sense, and doesn't make them sound like whiny babies.

Unfortunately, none of the Democratic candidates have handlers smart enough to spin it this way. If they had stated this upfront, they would have been fine. "Hey, we aren't going to debate on Fox because most of the people we are trying to reach at this time don't watch Fox. Talk to us during the Presidential debate...then maybe we'll reconsider." They would have come across as honest, sincere, and interested in reaching their base (even though the stats of liberals who watch Fox are pretty impressive last I heard).

Instead, they came across as elitist hard-line lefties who wouldn't dream of standing up infront of one of the most popular, wide-reaching cable news channels because it slants right, instead of left. At best, they looked afraid of what questions a big, bad, Fox News person might ask. At worst, they looked like they were willing to isolate the media if it didn't report things the way THEY wanted them reported.

Maineman, I think you need to pick your favorite Dem and start working for them...you'd do a better job than whatever nimrods they currently have on their payroll!

7. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,102
    I think its silly to boycott a network.

The Democrats should meet the shrills on Fox Spews head on.

Of course, the problem is that the shrills aren't interested in debate. They're interested in shouting down their opponents. Guys like Limbaugh/Hannity/O'Reilly et. al. would never appear on a level playing field because they'd get slaughtered.

8. actsnoblemartin

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    I agree with you, but i must ask one question. Is it appropriate then for republicans to boycott msnbc because not many republicans watch the so-called debates?.

also, it is sad, that as a nation, were so partisan and divided that we wont watch the other party debate, and see why and how we disagree with them, and god forbid, maybe we agree with them on some things.

9. actsnoblemartin

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    But the republicans havent boycotted msnbc, and i doubt many republicans watch them. What would u say if republicans boycotted msnbc?.

I wonder this though, should republicans watch the democrats in these primary so-called debates, and vice versa, or is it, we dont like the other side, so we wont listen to them. I admit, i have trouble listening to clinton and edwards, cause im sorry a 400$ haircut, and clinton is a wishy washer liar. :p

10. actsnoblemartin

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    im sorry, but I believe the democrats wont go on fox because they dont like fox news. Now, do i think o'reilly, limbaugh, and hannity bully and shout down people, yes i do. I think civility is lost on those men, not only those men, but we are talking about fox news. If you want to say, republicans on fox news, and democrats on msnbc fine.