I m glad i was born in 1953 and got to live most ofthe 50s

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
and all of the 60s - cause everythingafter that mainly blows

how bout a little of that///////////////

I am one year old than you. Being a kid in the 50's was fine but once the 70's hit, I was longing to be a kid again.

I guess it all depends on where you lived. I was born in the 60's & lived on a farm in the rural Midwest & it seemed like everything was ok until just after Thanksgiving 1979. Thats when Jimmy Carter put a grain embargo on Russia. It had little effect on Russia but devastated the USA farming community. All around farmers went bankrupt, families went on welfare. Neighbors were trading us government cheese for eggs from our chickens. Suddenly nearly everyone at school including us were on the free lunch program.

Farm land prices dropped 85% in months. You could not get a loan. Farm auctions were everywhere & that is where you had to go to get stuff because store prices were to high. People were crying as their stuff was auctioned off. It was tough getting fuel, fertilizer, herbicide, pesticide & seed to put in a crop. Some people we knew committed suicide. Neighbors were trading stuff for farm animals to butcher so they could feed their families. We grew, canned & butchered everything we ate for over 2 to 3 years. We could afford nothing from the stores. The only candy I got all year was from a birthday party at school. Most of us wore second hand clothes that nobody else wanted. It was the worst time I have ever experienced.

The entire community celebrated at the polls as we all voted for Ronald Reagan. Everything was very different a year later. I have never seen such a positive change in my life as I saw that year. Things never recovered to pre-embargo levels due to Brazil becoming the new agriculture trading partner of choice for Europe since the USA could no longer be trusted as a reliable trading partner. Brazil turned millions of their Amazon Rain Forest into farms to feed the world after Jimmy Carters stupid stunt. But at least the USA farm community was no longer living in crisis poverty mode, but did have to rely on farm subsidies for many years later to keep things going.

I am one year old than you. Being a kid in the 50's was fine but once the 70's hit, I was longing to be a kid again.

So what did you miss, being a kid or the 60's?
Being a kid. My dad. Not worrying because that's what my parents were for. Unconcern about the future because my world was my bike, my trees, my lunch I ate under a bush, watching bugs, believing in Santa Claus. Innocence.

So what did you miss, being a kid or the 60's?
Being a kid. My dad. Not worrying because that's what my parents were for. Unconcern about the future because my world was my bike, my trees, my lunch I ate under a bush, watching bugs, believing in Santa Claus. Innocence.

Yeah, but that's not about the 60's. That is about being a child again.

IMO, the 60's were a steaming pile of shit. :lol:

Your question was what I missed. Being a kid, or the 60's. My answer is being a kid. And why. :)
The 60's was not much fun for me. Nor was the 70's.

Me too! It was the last best time to live as a child in this country. People left their doors unlocked. Most white neighborhoods were crime free. Still got a decent education that didn't make up shit about those bad white people and how they hurt all the minorities. Good times!

Once the propagandist made the bombing of Hiroshima look like an evil thing that only cruel Americans would do yet cover up what the Japs did, then the country went to hell.

PLUS, American males born in that year did not face the DRAFT.

Lucky sods.

People born in 50, 51 faced the LOTTERY and the very real possiblity of getting their asses shipped to Viet Nam.

What a difference a year makes, eh?

Things like the above are why I lagh and luagh and laugh at people who tell me they are MASTERS OF THEIR OWN DESTINY.

Last edited:
Yes, those were Happy Days

TheFonz.jpg

Last edited:

PLUS, American males born in that year did not face the DRAFT.

Lucky sods.

People born in 50, 51 faced the LOTTERY and the very real possiblity of getting their asses shipped to Viet Nam.

What a difference a year makes, eh?

Things like the above are why I lagh and luagh and laugh at people who tell me they are MASTERS OF THEIR OWN DESTINY.

There was still a draft but I believe those born in 53 and after weren't drafted. Thank you, Mr Nixon.

I was born in 1953 and I told people that I was happy to have been born then.To be a kid in the 50's and a teen in the 60's...What a great time period.The 70's OK....seems to have gone down hill after that.

My sister is 2 years older than me and is always trying to be 22 again (she'll be 50 this year). I love being my age and have no fantasies of going back.

what was the tax rate on the top 1% back in the 50s.

That may give you a clue as to why things were so great for the little guy

Old racists are dying off thank god.

I get such a kick out of people who really think the 50's and 60's were the good ol days. Back when certain people knew their places and would never dare to question them.

Fuck that. The old school idiots are dying off.

Go America!

Forum List

Back