I have been Called to the Principal's Office

before I said, "yes, exactly, I'm embarrassed to even need to ask."

Then I went through "Teaching 101:"

1. Present a concept that is in the curriculum
2. Have the student demonstrate learning
3. Grade the learning on a scale (usually 0-100)
4. Reteach the concept if learning is not demonstrated
5. Rinse, Wash, Repeat.

Not really very complicated.

Anyway, the English Teacher wanted to continue to harange me about being "disrespected" and my "tone" and "How she felt" and how all this had prevented her from communicating her excuses for not having sent home any graded work for 4 weeks....yada, yada.....

I told her not to waste my time trying to make this her emotional issue, as there was nothing, "madame," that I could do to cure it. Furthermore the remedy was quite simple: send graded work home every week.

I asked if there were any other questions. There were none.

Then I presented the principal with the district's Public Complaint Policy, a form he claimed never to have seen. I told him we had completed it through step 4, and then showed him the Complaint Form that he had seen, then I excused myself from the meeting.

take it above the principal and if that fails take it the newspapers / local news station, make them look really bad.

5. Rinse, Wash, Repeat.

Anyway, the English Teacher wanted to continue to harange me about being "disrespected" and my "tone" and "How she felt" and how all this had prevented her from communicating her excuses for not having sent home any graded work for 4 weeks....yada, yada.....

I told her not to waste my time trying to make this her emotional issue, as there was nothing, "madame," that I could do to cure it. Furthermore the remedy was quite simple: send graded work home every week.

Then I presented the principal with the district's Public Complaint Policy, a form he claimed never to have seen. I told him we had completed it through step 4, and then showed him the Complaint Form that he had seen, then I excused myself from the meeting.

What is so difficult about the concept of "you don't demand respect, you earn it" that people like that English teacher can't grasp it? If you behave like a moronic slacker, you don't have much room to whine when you're treated like one.

5. Rinse, Wash, Repeat.

What is so difficult about the concept of "you don't demand respect, you earn it" that people like that English teacher can't grasp it? If you behave like a moronic slacker, you don't have much room to whine when you're treated like one.

Well, in these meetings, you want to keep the issue as simple and crystal clear as possible.

The job of the bureaucracy is to cloud it up, much like a skunk will spray its attacker, in a defensive posture.

This is why the principal wanted to discuss "what is a graded paper."

All you want to do is find out if everyone understands your complaint: Once they admit they do, you've won. Then it's up to them to either respond to correct it and make you happy, or not.

5. Rinse, Wash, Repeat.

take it above the principal and if that fails take it the newspapers / local news station, make them look really bad.

I doubt that will be necessary.

When dealing with Bureaucracy, documentation is EVERYTHING.

With my weekly emails, I've documented everything: I have Six (6) emails repeating my request, and asking why it hasn't been done, usually with no response. Now I will document the meeting minutes.

By the way, I forgot to add that the Principal suggested that if there wasn't any grade for the week, the teachers simply send home a signed note stating there was no grade, and why.

I told him that this would document the classroom activity, or lack thereof, very nicely.

5. Rinse, Wash, Repeat.

Union teachers....sorry but that is what this is coming down to. They know its pretty well impossible to get them fired. They know you cant make them do more work then the want to.

Good to see your filing all of the proper complaints!

5. Rinse, Wash, Repeat.

Union teachers....sorry but that is what this is coming down to. They know its pretty well impossible to get them fired. They know you cant make them do more work then the want to.

I'm actually hoping to have made my point, finally.

If I go any further, the principal sends a copy of my complaint, and a written report of the conference to a review committee appointed by the Superintendent or designee. I get a copy of the report, and so do any teachers involved, and a copy is filed at the school. The principal then must provide copies of learning activities, methods, and use them to determine a professional opinion. I also am given the opportunity to render an opinion untilizing supporting evidence.

In other words, the principal has to do a shitload of work.

Then within 60 days of receiving the complaint, the committee puts together a written recommendation which is distributed to the Superintendent, and "all parties of interest."

Then if I'm not satisfied, I can appeal to the Superintendent and, if necessary, the Board of Education.

Yes, I think you are.

When I taught full time I had 150 students and gave 25 academic lectures or classes a week. Do you have any idea how much prep work that demanded of me?

I didn't have time to send parents reports every week.

I really didn't have enough time to give the students the individual attention they often needed.
It is amusing that you imagine that you have "memories" of giving lectures or teaching classes.
If it happened it explains a lot.
When I was in school I had dozens of graded papers to bring home each week, which I did, no matter how often my parents were to move without telling me

Since the beginning of the school year about a month ago, I have requested that:

Teachers send me ONE graded paper per week per subject

I stipulate it must be a paper, graded, as opposed to their practice of simply showing the grade in an online gradebook called "Infinite Campus."

My intent is to SEE whatever the hell they're teaching, and if it is being learned. You cannot do this just by looking at the grade

I also stated that if I didn't see graded papers, then I'd need to see THEM AND the graded papers, and we could arrange a meeting.

WELL, apparently this is proving to be An Issue for which I must see the principal!!!???

It seems some teachers are just overwhelmed with the prospect of teaching anything that may be worth assessing the value on a weekly basis!!!!!:eek:

GODDAMN? WTF??

Am I being completely unreasonable???:confused:
It's the teachers fault your 10th grader is a fuck up?

Interesting.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

my stepson gets straight As but he knows that every tuesday (grade day) he better have brought his folder home with everything in it. you are a jackass if you aren't reviewing what your kids do in school

3rd grade.

The "Friday Folder" or in your case, "Tuesday Folder" often disappears after the 6th grade and students don't have just one teacher that is accountable for most of their learning.

Obsentiously, this is because the student, going from one classroom to another, must keep their OWN folder of graded papers, but what I'm finding is the teachers use it as an excuse not to hand back anything, but to keep folders within the classroom.

Complicating the issue more is the "Block Scheduling" whereby students don't see teachers every day, but every other day: what is done on Friday will not be available until the following Tuesday, a spanse of time during which the HS student (and even teachers) often forgets anything happened.

5. Rinse, Wash, Repeat.

If I go any further, the principal sends a copy of my complaint, and a written report of the conference to a review committee appointed by the Superintendent or designee. I get a copy of the report, and so do any teachers involved, and a copy is filed at the school. The principal then must provide copies of learning activities, methods, and use them to determine a professional opinion. I also am given the opportunity to render an opinion untilizing supporting evidence.

Then within 60 days of receiving the complaint, the committee puts together a written recommendation which is distributed to the Superintendent, and "all parties of interest."

Then if I'm not satisfied, I can appeal to the Superintendent and, if necessary, the Board of Education.

So what you are basically saying is that they are going to tie you up in paperwork...and you wont see any results of this until next year.

I would just start at the top all on your own....and not wait for them to dick around.

5. Rinse, Wash, Repeat.

As the military says, shit rolls downhill. Is the principal going to take on more work AND put himself under critical scrutiny by the school district, or is he going to insist that the teachers do more work? Doesn't take a genius to answer that question.

So what you are basically saying is that they are going to tie you up in paperwork...and you wont see any results of this until next year.

I would just start at the top all on your own....and not wait for them to dick around.

I'm betting it doesn't come to that. That principal would be a damned fool to put himself through all that when he can just come down hard on the teachers and make THEM do the extra work to shut Samson up.

No actually, I have done all the paperwork. I have my e-mails, and the form is quite simple, as is my complaint.

The principal will be the one that has to do A LOT of extra work. And the District. And all the while, I might be enlisting other parents to follow my path, now that its already established.

No, the whole thing becomes a bureaucratic nightmare for the administration.

All because teachers cannot supply me with ONE graded paper every week.

:cuckoo:

No actually, I have done all the paperwork. I have my e-mails, and the form is quite simple, as is my complaint.

The principal will be the one that has to do A LOT of extra work. And the District. And all the while, I might be enlisting other parents to follow my path, now that its already established.

Good let it become a nightmare for them. You will at least get the results you want.

Then what are you waiting for.....file it and do it! The longer you wait the worse it will get. It is obvious that neither the teacher or the principal have ANY interest in you or your child.

You tried the nice way...and they more or less told you to damn bad they wont do it.

Good let it become a nightmare for them. You will at least get the results you want.

Then what are you waiting for.....file it and do it! The longer you wait the worse it will get. It is obvious that neither the teacher or the principal have ANY interest in you or your child.

You tried the nice way...and they more or less told you to damn bad they wont do it.

I'll give it a couple of weeks.:cool:

The District Level Committee chairperson will appreciate that I gave the school every possible opportunity to satisfy my complaint, and will be pissed off even more that he or she has to deal with such stupidity from the school.

Besides, it's not even October.....60 days is still well within the Fall Semester, and even more so the 2010-2011 school year.:eusa_angel:

I'll give it a couple of weeks.:cool:

The District Level Committee chairperson will appreciate that I gave the school every possible opportunity to satisfy my complaint, and will be pissed off even more that he or she has to deal with such stupidity from the school.

Besides, it's not even October.....60 days is still well within the Fall Semester, and even more so the 2010-2011 school year.:eusa_angel:

So if you give it a couple of weeks...that's what mid to end of October? Then they have the 60 days to respond...now your into next year. The way i see this is a wasted semester.

Have you had any informal chats with this chairperson? I think you may want to prime that pump.

spoiled kids are the best. Hey mine were so I'm not calling you out.
Good luck getting the grown ups to respond to your every whim when you can't get your kid to listen.

Are they in any extra activities. Mine were in wrestling and fear of removal from the team was more than enough motivator to have the grades above a minimum.

5. Rinse, Wash, Repeat.

Well done!
:clap2:

I think it's hillarious to put underpaid teachers under extra demands becuase our kids are too spoiled to listen. Good luck with your browbeating of the teacher.
Most times kids bad grades are due to bad parents not teachers.

I think it's hillarious to put underpaid teachers under extra demands becuase our kids are too spoiled to listen. Good luck with your browbeating of the teacher.
Most times kids bad grades are due to bad parents not teachers.

Extra demands? You mean like assigning work, grading it, and then giving it back? You consider those things to be "extra" to the job of teaching? What, then, do you consider a teacher's job to be?

I don't recall it being the parents perogative on setting when graded activities were done. LOL

Forum List

Back