I have been Called to the Principal's Office

I'm actually hoping to have made my point, finally.

If I go any further, the principal sends a copy of my complaint, and a written report of the conference to a review committee appointed by the Superintendent or designee. I get a copy of the report, and so do any teachers involved, and a copy is filed at the school. The principal then must provide copies of learning activities, methods, and use them to determine a professional opinion. I also am given the opportunity to render an opinion untilizing supporting evidence.

In other words, the principal has to do a shitload of work.

Then within 60 days of receiving the complaint, the committee puts together a written recommendation which is distributed to the Superintendent, and "all parties of interest."

Then if I'm not satisfied, I can appeal to the Superintendent and, if necessary, the Board of Education.

So what you are basically saying is that they are going to tie you up in paperwork...and you wont see any results of this until next year.

I would just start at the top all on your own....and not wait for them to dick around.

No actually, I have done all the paperwork. I have my e-mails, and the form is quite simple, as is my complaint.

The principal will be the one that has to do A LOT of extra work. And the District. And all the while, I might be enlisting other parents to follow my path, now that its already established.

No, the whole thing becomes a bureaucratic nightmare for the administration.

All because teachers cannot supply me with ONE graded paper every week.

:cuckoo:
What if there is a week where there are no graded papers?

I don't recall it being the parents perogative on setting when graded activities were done. LOL

Nor is he asking to. One written assignment a week sounds like a perfectly logical assumption to make. "LOL" I'm still waiting for you to tell me what you think the holy, sacred, exhausting job of teachers is that Samson's request is so unreasonable and extraneous to. What is it you imagine they SHOULD be doing that doesn't include assigning written work and grading it?

So what you are basically saying is that they are going to tie you up in paperwork...and you wont see any results of this until next year.

I would just start at the top all on your own....and not wait for them to dick around.

No actually, I have done all the paperwork. I have my e-mails, and the form is quite simple, as is my complaint.

The principal will be the one that has to do A LOT of extra work. And the District. And all the while, I might be enlisting other parents to follow my path, now that its already established.

Then there should be a good reason why, and it takes all of five seconds to scribble a note stating that reason and hand it to Samson Jr. Quite frankly, I would have expected some sort of yearly or semester syllabus - or at least an outline - to have made an appearance at the beginning of the year so that the parents would be expecting the weeks full of lab work.

you could have 30 parents with 30 different request. Some might be honored some not.
He said his kid wasn't reliable with bringing papers home, so that gets turned into the teachers fault.
Shit I don't need that kind of pressure for dogshit pay and no respect.

you could have 30 parents with 30 different request. Some might be honored some not.
He said his kid wasn't reliable with bringing papers home, so that gets turned into the teachers fault.
Yep.

The school takes into account what the parents in the area want as a whole. One parent with an attitude doesn't count for much.

Then there should be a good reason why, and it takes all of five seconds to scribble a note stating that reason and hand it to Samson Jr. Quite frankly, I would have expected some sort of yearly or semester syllabus - or at least an outline - to have made an appearance at the beginning of the year so that the parents would be expecting the weeks full of lab work.

Why does there have to be a good reason? How often should a child's education be assessed? Should there be a quiz or "paper" every day? If all the time is spent assessing what is learned, when is there time to learn?

And if the parent wants to micromanage their child's education, then maybe they should be putting some onus on the child to communicate with them and let them know what they are doing.

Seems to me like Samson is not actually interested in the grades or the papers, but more in just creating a hassle for everyone.

There were syllabii, and I can check grades thathave been given with those that have returned home. Generally, Samson Jr. has been reliable.

At any rate, each week I give my phone number and urge anyone who's interested in explaining their situation, e.g., "I Gave Jr. this paper, this week a chance to voice their POV: None has.

Why?

Because they haven't given him anything, and the only excuses they have is they simply cannot put it together.

try sitting down with the kid and reviewing some of the work instead of being a thorn in the teacher and priciple's ass.
Teenagers only act like they hate you, they don't.

...the principal has to do a shitload of work...

Samson's goal: create a bureaucratic nightmare for the administration.

He doesn't really care about "the slaves" education. I haven't even heard him mention a thing about what he will do if the slaves grades are poor and what he will do to help the slave do better.

Why does there have to be a good reason? How often should a child's education be assessed? Should there be a quiz or "paper" every day? If all the time is spent assessing what is learned, when is there time to learn?

And if the parent wants to micromanage their child's education, then maybe they should be putting some onus on the child to communicate with them and let them know what they are doing.

Seems to me like Samson is not actually interested in the grades or the papers, but more in just creating a hassle for everyone.

Well, I suppose I could write a thread about how I've encouraged SJ over the past 16 years. You want me to do that? I'll tell you what: Begin a thread about your teenager, and we'll compare notes.

And I agree: there are parents that would love to micromanage educators. If I had thought that asking for One graded paper/week/subject was going to be such a big hairy deal, I probably would have begun by asking that I get one every day. Then I suppose my once/week policy would seem more reasonable?

In reality, I expect these teachers have had enough fire lit under them to last the remainder of the Semester, and I won't need to remind them again that they're being very closely scrutinized.

Well, I suppose I could write a thread about how I've encouraged SJ over the past 16 years. You want me to do that? I'll tell you what: Begin a thread about your teenager, and we'll compare notes.

And I agree: there are parents that would love to micromanage educators. If I had thought that asking for One graded paper/week/subject was going to be such a big hairy deal, I probably would have begun by asking that I get one every day. Then I suppose my once/week policy would seem more reasonable?

In reality, I expect these teachers have had enough fire lit under them to last the remainder of the Semester, and I won't need to remind them again that they're being very closely scrutinized.

If I were one of your child's teachers, I would tell you that if you would like to review your child's work in depth, you can come in to meet with me every Thursday afternoon at 3:30pm. We could go over the work face to face and discuss the issue. And I would encourage all of my colleagues to do the same.

I'd put the onus on you to prove to me that your child's education was important enough an issue that you would spend 3-6 hours per week of your time coming to the school.

so now you've got the teacher under scrutiny, is the kid next in line. LOL I'm glad mine are out of college

...the principal has to do a shitload of work...

Samson's goal: create a bureaucratic nightmare for the administration.

He doesn't really care about "the slaves" education. I haven't even heard him mention a thing about what he will do if the slaves grades are poor and what he will do to help the slave do better.

Yes, the fact that my kid is attending the school is just a coincidence. My hobby is creating bureaucratic nightmares for random public schools, and I just threw a dart at a map and happened to hit this one.

Again, if you'd like to compare your parenting methods with mine, I'd be happy to: Begin a thread about your teenager, and I'll be happy to jump in!!:eusa_angel:

I'm not interested in 30 apocryphal parents with 30 apocryphal requests. We're talking about THIS parent with THIS request for something that should be happening anyway, so is there any possible way you could discuss what's ACTUALLY happening on the basis of what's ACTUALLY happening, rather than in relation to some fantasy scenario taking place in your - I use the term loosely - mind? Thanks.

Most kids aren't reliable with bringing papers home. No one said that was the teacher's fault. Had you been reading the thread at all, you'd know that his complaint is that they aren't giving the kid any papers to be unreliable about. Even the English teacher said she wasn't giving him any papers, followed by an attempt to make excuses for not doing it.

Either keep up or shut up.

If I were one of your child's teachers, I would tell you that if you would like to review your child's work in depth, you can come in to meet with me every Thursday afternoon at 3:30pm. We could go over the work face to face and discuss the issue. And I would encourage all of my colleagues to do the same.

I'd put the onus on you to prove to me that your child's education was important enough an issue that you would spend 3-6 hours per week of your time coming to the school.

:lol::lol::lol:

Xoti, would you REALLY want me to show up every week after school to spend an hour or so browbeating you (e.g is this the ONLY WAY this can be taught? Why'd you correct this, but not this? Tell me a little more about how this relates to the curriculum?), adding more time to your already long, stressful day......

Or would you like to simply grade a homework assignment?

I'm not interested in 30 apocryphal parents with 30 apocryphal requests. We're talking about THIS parent with THIS request for something that should be happening anyway, so is there any possible way you could discuss what's ACTUALLY happening on the basis of what's ACTUALLY happening, rather than in relation to some fantasy scenario taking place in your - I use the term loosely - mind? Thanks.

Most kids aren't reliable with bringing papers home. No one said that was the teacher's fault. Had you been reading the thread at all, you'd know that his complaint is that they aren't giving the kid any papers to be unreliable about. Even the English teacher said she wasn't giving him any papers, followed by an attempt to make excuses for not doing it.

Either keep up or shut up.

trollsbo3.jpg

Last edited:

I'm sorry? Did you just ask me why there has to be a good reason for class time to be used for something other than schoolwork that involves written papers? Seriously? I actually need to tell you why there should be a good and logical explanation for the use of every minute of a student's class time?

Written schoolwork isn't "assessing the child's education". It IS the child's education. How in the hell do you think students - kids or otherwise - get educated, if not by actually DOING WORK? You really think they're gonna come out of high school informed and ready to take on the world just by sitting at a desk and listening to someone talk? Even colleges, with their hours and hours of lectures, don't expect that to happen.

Samson's not asking for every day. He's asking for once a week. Could someone explain why so many people who feel the need to shoot off their mouths on this thread haven't bothered to read it thoroughly enough to grasp that one simple fact?

As for "put the onus on the kid", would YOU trust a teenager to tell you honestly that he's blowing off his schoolwork? That's part of the point of having . . . stay with me here . . . adult supervision.

Forum List

Back