I have been Called to the Principal's Office

Discussion in 'Education' started by Samson, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Since the beginning of the school year about a month ago, I have requested that:

Teachers send me ONE graded paper per week per subject

I stipulate it must be a paper, graded, as opposed to their practice of simply showing the grade in an online gradebook called "Infinite Campus."

My intent is to SEE whatever the hell they're teaching, and if it is being learned. You cannot do this just by looking at the grade

I also stated that if I didn't see graded papers, then I'd need to see THEM AND the graded papers, and we could arrange a meeting.

WELL, apparently this is proving to be An Issue for which I must see the principal!!!???

It seems some teachers are just overwhelmed with the prospect of teaching anything that may be worth assessing the value on a weekly basis!!!!!:eek:

GODDAMN? WTF??

Am I being completely unreasonable???:confused:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  2. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    Why don't they just send the graded assignments home with your spawn?

Isn't that how they do it? Or do teachers these days horde all the assignments?

3. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    How odd. At our school all high school homework and tests are now pc based and a parent may check on them at anytime. An interested parent could even come into the class grab a laptop log into the network and watch while their kid took the test.

Although when I was in school we did have some teachers that didn't even grade homework and such until the end of the semester, they made you do it then lug it around in a binder all semester, if you lost that binder you were screwed. I always thought those teachers were lazy.

4. Samson

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Well, the slave isn't the most reliable conveyance, but after a fuckin' month I expect him to have the proceeedure of receiving a paper, transporting it home, letting me know he has it, and if necessary returning it to school.

Some complain that I'm interfering with their horde, arguing that they like to wait until "The end of the Unit" to send all the graded work home. But what I'm seeing is lost of grade entries that do not require ANY objective evaluation: "Participation" grades, and very few quizzes, tests, and things that require a student to place their pencil to a piece of paper!!

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    What grade is the child in? How long has school been in session? Were there problems last year?

6. Samson

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210

Yes, they ARE LAZY.

A teacher is supposed to .......TEACH GODDAMNIT, that means, you DO SOMETHING to ensure that the Students are doing more than maintaining a pulse during your presence.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    If I don't go through my kids' backpack every day I miss all sorts of things...and their homework is sent home. But I walk into their classroom at least once a week, ostensibly to give Wallybaba his eyeglasses or pay for lunches or something. But that contact is never amiss, I'm able to sort of keep on top of what is going on.

I love it that my kids are in a charter school. This year the focus is on the watershed! How cool is that! The whole school is going to go canoeing at some point....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    We're in first and second grade...homework every night consists of spelling words (and a test every day), reading, and workbook homework. Parents have to sign the workbook and the homework sheet, and the teacher checks it every day.

9. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    Good luck. They bypassed the principal altogether and I got called to the District Office last year after discovering by sheer accident that my pups had been yanked from their educational environment and placed in enrichment classes twice a week so I demanded to see their IEP's - as required by law - to find out exactly what "enriching" activities they were participating in. I won. Eventually. :eusa_angel:

10. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650

Charter school...charter school...charter school...

US Charter Schools Home