Is the Twilight Series Turning Teens into Bloodsucking Conservatives?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
The vampire craze in teen literature – exemplified by the "Twilight" book series – could be affecting the dynamic workings of the teenage brain in ways scientists don't yet understand.

"We don't know exactly how literature affects the brain, but we know that it does," said Maria Nikolajeva, a Cambridge University professor of literature. "Some new findings have identified spots in the brain that respond to literature and art."

Scientists, authors and educators met in Cambridge, England, Sept. 3-5 for a conference organized by Nikolajeva to discuss how young-adult books and movies affect teenagers' minds.

Attendees at the conference included experts in neuroscience, psychology, art, literature and music, as well as writers such as Meg Rosoff, author of "How I Live Now" and other teen titles.

While teens might be turning the pages of "Twilight" for the plot and romance, other takeaways from the books may be having a lasting impact, too.

The series follows Bella, a teenage girl who falls in love with a much older vampire named Edward. Some critics have argued that Bella's passivity, and the story's abstinence-until-marriage message, are anti-feminist.

"If you look very, very clearly at what kind of values the 'Twilight' books propagate, these are very conservative values that do not in any way endorse independent thinking or personal development or a woman's position as an independent creature," Nikolajeva said. "That's quite depressing."

Twilight & Young Adult Books Altering Teen Brains | Vampires & Teen Literature Trends | LiveScience

You can't make this shit up. :lol:

I don't think it is turning them into conservatives, but she does wait until marriage. Of course she then gets pregnant with a half blood or whatever they called her in the book. The woman who wrote the books is mormon, it is too be expected she would have her wait until marriage. Other than that part, I don't see how the lady can make her argument.

Last edited:
The Twilight series has been the greatest contribution to literacy since the invention of Phonics. (and Harry Potter). I have never seen kids so excited about reading. To suggest that it is HARMING children is promoting censorship.

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them."
— Ray Bradbury

Yeah, but one must sellout the principle of education because there is a perceived right-wing message.

As far as I am concerned, because of that woman's comment, she no longer has an ounce of credibility.

Once one is willing to sellout their field's principles to a political issue, they lose all cred.

The Twilight series has been the greatest contribution to literacy since the invention of Phonics. (and Harry Potter). I have never seen kids so excited about reading. To suggest that it is HARMING children is promoting censorship.

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them."
— Ray Bradbury

I don't think this lady is going to get kids to stop reading Twilight. :lol:

It was one article, it will be okay. Plus I doubt, there is a girl under the age of 25 who hasn't read them. And if you do read them, it is easy to tell it isn't about spreading some message. You would be giving Twilight too much credit for one. The books are good, but not that good.

True Blood on the other hand, is all about the underlying message.
The tv show, probably more than the books, but it is still there.

— Ray Bradbury

It was one article, it will be okay. Plus I doubt, there is a girl under the age of 25 who hasn't read them. And if you do read them, it is easy to tell it isn't about spreading some message. You would be giving Twilight too much credit for one. The books are good, but not that good.

"Scientists, authors and educators met in Cambridge, England, Sept. 3-5 for a conference organized by Nikolajeva" I don't know how much cred people will give this, but it's not "just one article" on the internet. It was published in Live Science and I'm sure all these "scholars" will go back and share what they learned.

I haven't read them. But even if this woman's opinion is correct, the world won't end either. :cuckoo: I wonder how she feels about rap music. :eek:

On topic:

I don't think its "Conservative" to have female characters that want to wait until marriage for sex. Heck, I'd like to see more male characters that wanted to wait. Sex before marriage always carries the risk of ruining both of your lives. If you really love them, you should be willing to wait. If you don't, why are you having sex with them?

All books worth reading have an underlying point. It may not be a logical, sensible or even sane point, but the fact you are promoting an idea is what makes the book.

As for the thesis of the lady in question, she is so late to the party, all there is left are the bean dip and the macaroni salad. If you are a fan of Terry Pratchet, he has been writing about this for nearly 30 years. It is a more important part of his ovure than the turtle. And he is just expanding on the ideas of the Brothers Grim and Carl Jung.

Our understanding and our perspective are our experiences, and stories are how we see the world. A healthy understanding is one that has multiple perspectives. (An odd concept if you are familiar with MC Escher) A sick understanding is one that has only one narrow view. We call that tunnel vision.

A normal teenager is going to see lots and lots of different things. If she watches a lot of TV, she will get lots of very unhealthy messages. If Twilight cancels some of the poisons, more power too it.

— Ray Bradbury

"Scientists, authors and educators met in Cambridge, England, Sept. 3-5 for a conference organized by Nikolajeva" I don't know how much cred people will give this, but it's not "just one article" on the internet. It was published in Live Science and I'm sure all these "scholars" will go back and share what they learned.

I haven't read them. But even if this woman's opinion is correct, the world won't end either. :cuckoo: I wonder how she feels about rap music. :eek:

They might share what they learned, but most of them will be ignored, or laughed at behind their back.

I think it's messing with women's minds. I'm a heterosexual male and even I know the werewolf is hotter.

I think they both need to be paddled and sent to bed without supper until they stop looking so damned whiney. Maybe I'm just old, but I don't find either of them attractive, because neither appears masculine enough to be attractive.

All books worth reading have an underlying point. It may not be a logical, sensible or even sane point, but the fact you are promoting an idea is what makes the book.

Well, I hate to but I must disagree.

There's not very much that makes the adolescent mind get up and move, and promoting anything (propaganda) ain't one of them.

Rather than reading these books despite the "hidden anti-feminist messages," they are reading them because they like the EXPLICITE conservative message:

Don't have sex with The Dead.

Oh for fucks sake.

abstinence-until-marriage message, are anti-feminist.

So unless you are a whore you are not feminist enough?

:lol:

That's a much much better message for kids.

Last edited:

There's not very much that makes the adolescent mind get up and move, and promoting anything (propaganda) ain't one of them.

Rather than reading these books despite the "hidden anti-feminist messages," they are reading them because they like the EXPLICITE conservative message:

If your book is lttle more than a Chick tract, no one will read it. If you have nothing more than just a random collection of pointless words, no one will read that either. Message is the river on which the plot sails.

If your book is lttle more than a Chick tract, no one will read it. If you have nothing more than just a random collection of pointless words, no one will read that either. Message is the river on which the plot sails.

Have you read any of this shit?

:eusa_hand:

No, don't say it, you'll lose your man card.:cool:

Oh for fucks sake.

abstinence-until-marriage message, are anti-feminist.

So unless you are a whore you are not feminist enough?

:lol:

That's a much much better message for kids.

:eusa_shhh::eusa_shhh::eusa_shhh::eusa_shhh:

I just want eveyone to know RIGHT HERE AND NOW that I'm an AVOWED FEMINIST, and will be happy to service almost any female that doubts it!!!

Forum List

Back