I Hate Walmarts

Apparently, this quote is so famous it is now available on a tee shirt (which presumably, one wears after staining and tearing).....

dollar_palace_casual_tshirt-p235821168194089647o3pu_400.jpg

I dunno who Debbie is, but she has a rawkin' fashion sense....LOLOL.

Madeline, interesting OP and one I have mentioned frequently with the same wingnut replies. Wingnuts only love the rich and powerful and worship at corporate doors.

Americans who care about America could solve walmart's anti worker tactics and support other Americans if only a small percentage stopped shopping in walmart and supported American made. This seems simple but corporate power will fight back hard and it will be propaganda that the wingnuts believe and follow.

WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price
Value and Values at Wal-Mart -- Behind That Implacable Smiley Face
As Union Nears Win, Wal-Mart Closes Store
Majority Says Wal-Mart Bad for America: Poll
Wal-Mart Subsidy Watch - brought to you by Good Jobs First

"It has indeed been a trying hour for the Republic; but I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of the war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working on the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war." Abraham Lincoln in a letter to William F. Elkins, November 21, 1864.

How Americans Can Buy American
MadeInUSA - Home- Recycling American Dollars Through Patriotic Spending
American Made Products Directory - Made in USA, United States Manufacturers
Made in USA, Made in America, US, American-Made
http://www.uaw.org/uawmade/index.cfm
Union Label

"Corporate propaganda directed outwards, that is, to the public at large, has two main objectives: to identify the free enterprise system in popular consciousness with every cherished value, and to identify interventionist governments and strong unions (the only agencies capable of checking a complete domination of society by corporations) with tyranny, oppression and even subversion. The techniques used to achieve these results are variously called 'public relations', 'corporate communications' and 'economic education'." Alex Carey

Thankies, midcan. Your links, as always, are outstanding. Mebbe a few people will consider and some will alter their spending.

Be nice if we could convince people their neighbors count more than the owners of Walmarts before we are living in a Third World country, but we can only do what we can do.

This looked interesting.

"[A] deeply researched account of the ideological underpinnings of the company's rise...[It] makes for compelling and provocative reading, complicating any simplistic view about why many Americans are enthusiastic about Wal-Mart, even as it seems to grind down wages, stamp out unions, advance a desolate model of exurban life, and eviscerate the small towns in its path. --Rob Horning (popmatters.com )"

walmart [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Serve-God-Wal-Mart-Christian-Enterprise/dp/0674057406/ref=pd_sim_b_1]Amazon.com: To Serve God and Wal-Mart: The Making of Christian Free Enterprise (9780674057401): Bethany Moreton: Books[/ame]

'Moreton provides both a bird's eye view of the corporation's history and the in-store perspective of a great many interviewed employees. Her wide-lensed analysis includes in its focus aspects as divergent as the sleepy Ozarks of the early 20th century, the turbulent Latin America of the late 20th century and the network of conservative free market fundamentalists who dutifully prepared the way for Wal-Mart's meteoric rise...To Serve God and Wal-Mart can be seen as a case study, a scrutiny of the all-too-familiar larger phenomenon, that strange conflation of metaphysics and economics, where the Dow Jones average moves in mysterious increments according to unknown and unknowable vagaries, and the individual is sacrificed on the altar of corporate profit. Is this how a merciful God distributes His favor? Or could it be that religion is being used in that old familiar way, to legitimize exploitation otherwise abhorrent?' Matthew Pulver

Don't hate Walmart...

Just shop Target.

Except we are going to call it a surveyor's mark to be PC these days.

Well i know where to send you for punishment Madeline. Send you to wallmart for a day of shopping. And to be nice to that greater!

The Walmart stores in my area offer more choices/options than Target. I have never really seen the quality difference between the two either(they sell a lot of the exact same brands). When I was shopping for Netbooks... Target was always conveineintly "out" of what I wanted...but had "another" model/brand available for sale,if I didn't mind paying more money..blah blah blah. I usually only go to Target for specific things that they carry that I prefer (a certain style of cargo pants for one)...Walmart for everything else. :tongue:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back