I got a goat and a cow.

syrenn

Rookie
May 10, 2010
I was just wondering how you all would feel about this one.

You open your gift and the card inside says that a goat and a cow were given to a village in africa in your name.

i would be pleased...instead of getting stuff you dont need...you are helping out a family....

with a goat or a cow they can set up a business.....milk, cheese, young kids or calves to sell...

its a good thing

i would be pleased...instead of getting stuff you dont need...you are helping out a family....

with a goat or a cow they can set up a business.....milk, cheese, young kids or calves to sell...

its a good thing

Not with one goat and one chicken. You'll get eggs from most breeds of chicken (if you have a hen) at about 20 weeks, depending on breed. You can have eggs but if you have no rooster, you have no new chickens. If you only have a rooster, he'll be tasty starting at about 8-10 weeks.
Goat won't produce milk until she's had her first kid most have to "freshen" every year in order to keep producing milk. Again, you need a buck for that. So, minimum two goats needed to feed the family or set up a business. I understand that the outfits that sell these packages also provide training about animal nutrition and care and that would help.

I made goat cheese stuffed red peppers yesterday for the family.

Love goat cheese!

What a great gift for someone to give to someone else in your name! I also love Skulls Elephant Fostering Program site, I'm going to check that out too.

Most of us can BUY what we need, how cool that someone thought of others that CAN'T buy things.

its a good thing

Not with one goat and one chicken. You'll get eggs from most breeds of chicken (if you have a hen) at about 20 weeks, depending on breed. You can have eggs but if you have no rooster, you have no new chickens. If you only have a rooster, he'll be tasty starting at about 8-10 weeks.
Goat won't produce milk until she's had her first kid most have to "freshen" every year in order to keep producing milk. Again, you need a buck for that. So, minimum two goats needed to feed the family or set up a business. I understand that the outfits that sell these packages also provide training about animal nutrition and care and that would help.

hello......the charities that do this are well aware of these facts.....fact.....only one person in the village needs a buck....a buck has to be replaced on a yearly bases....so you breed all the goats with one buck then you have to introduce a new buck the next year.....

and yes you must have a rooster to have fertile eggs..last time i checked the chickens were not done by the hen but you send a batch of chickens ...

you do not need two goats....you need a nanny goat .....for milk and cheese...
as i stated above all you need is one billy ...and yes they have animal training programs....we normally donate bees....

I made goat cheese stuffed red peppers yesterday for the family.

Love goat cheese!

What a great gift for someone to give to someone else in your name! I also love Skulls Elephant Fostering Program site, I'm going to check that out too.

Most of us can BUY what we need, how cool that someone thought of others that CAN'T buy things.

One of the great things about living "off-grid" on a homestead is just how much you can do for yourself, and as an extension, for others. Most of the people I like got gift baskets with homemade cheese, sourdough bread, gingerbread, wild berry jams, tea cozies and such.

its a good thing

hello......the charities that do this are well aware of these facts.....fact.....only one person in the village needs a buck....a buck has to be replaced on a yearly bases....so you breed all the goats with one buck then you have to introduce a new buck the next year.....

and yes you must have a rooster to have fertile eggs..last time i checked the chickens were not done by the hen but you send a batch of chickens ...

as i stated above all you need is one billy ...and yes they have animal training programs....we normally donate bees....

I am aware of charities that do this. I get a kick out of "giving" a "package" every year. This year, I provided a tribe of goats for some family. I'm pretty sure the video doesn't represent my specific gift but it does illustrate a bit about the program.(Donate a Tribe of Goats | Give Charitable Gifts to a Family in Need :: Oxfam America Unwrapped)
How does it work with the bees? I imagine they might be a bit less labor-intensive but I've heard a lot about how bees are dying all over.

its a good thing

Friendly bees?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWiWKXaLFv8]Ooh, a friendly bee! - YouTube[/ame]

Ive been "given" all sorts of stuff from this place before.... and yes i think its a good thing to do. We do it a few times a year on our own in our own name.

Here is my issue with giving it as a "gift". Its not a gift unless it has been stated that is what you want done/purchased for you as a gift. All i see is making a donation for your own guilty conscious...and calling it a "gift" for someone else. She (the sister in law this time) has NO idea what we do for the poor or the extent we do it.

If you want to do the whole socially conscience helping the poor thing... great! But do it for yourself and yourself alone. If you want to teach your kid about helping the poor....great...have it donated in his name.

Charitable Gift Giving that Makes a Difference | Heifer.org

Well here's a recovered memory: One year for our 'big' fall festival raffle someone donated a goat on the hoof. Of course we ALL bought tickets on the thing. When they held the drawing, it was the principal's daughter who won the thing. To this day, I believe that was rigged to keep some parent from going ballistic. Principal prolly had the thing slaughtered and barbequed. My FIL used to buy a goat on the hoof and have it slaughtered and barbequed at least once a summer. That's some pretty good eating.

Well here's a recovered memory: One year for our 'big' fall festival raffle someone donated a goat on the hoof. Of course we ALL bought tickets on the thing. When they held the drawing, it was the principal's daughter who won the thing. To this day, I believe that was rigged to keep some parent from going ballistic. Principal prolly had the thing slaughtered and barbequed. My FIL used to buy a goat on the hoof and have it slaughtered and barbequed at least once a summer. That's some pretty good eating.

LOL... we got a card saying thank you for your gift..yadayada...

I told her i want to name the goat curry and the cow prime rib..... :lol:

LOL... we got a card saying thank you for your gift..yadayada...

I told her i want to name the goat curry and the cow prime rib..... :lol:

:lol::lol:

Forum List

Back