I got a goat and a cow.

I was just wondering how you all would feel about this one.

You open your gift and the card inside says that a goat and a cow were given to a village in africa in your name.

I'd rather get an X-box 360.

fuuu_Busted-s512x386-98509.png

CHEATED AGAIN THIS YEAR!

:mad:

I hear those ads on radio all the time about how donating $1 will buy 7 meals from some hungry kid. What I always wonder is why $1 won't buy 7 meals for me. I don't understand their math.

Ive been "given" all sorts of stuff from this place before.... and yes i think its a good thing to do. We do it a few times a year on our own in our own name.

Here is my issue with giving it as a "gift". Its not a gift unless it has been stated that is what you want done/purchased for you as a gift. All i see is making a donation for your own guilty conscious...and calling it a "gift" for someone else. She (the sister in law this time) has NO idea what we do for the poor or the extent we do it.

If you want to do the whole socially conscience helping the poor thing... great! But do it for yourself and yourself alone. If you want to teach your kid about helping the poor....great...have it donated in his name.

Charitable Gift Giving that Makes a Difference | Heifer.org

I've never quite understood choosing the charity for somebody else, then calling it a gift.

I once had somebody tell me they were going to make a charitable donation on my behalf, and then they asked me what charity I wanted it to go to. That worked for me.

Ive been "given" all sorts of stuff from this place before.... and yes i think its a good thing to do. We do it a few times a year on our own in our own name.

Here is my issue with giving it as a "gift". Its not a gift unless it has been stated that is what you want done/purchased for you as a gift. All i see is making a donation for your own guilty conscious...and calling it a "gift" for someone else. She (the sister in law this time) has NO idea what we do for the poor or the extent we do it.

If you want to do the whole socially conscience helping the poor thing... great! But do it for yourself and yourself alone. If you want to teach your kid about helping the poor....great...have it donated in his name.

I've never quite understood choosing the charity for somebody else, then calling it a gift.

I once had somebody tell me they were going to make a charitable donation on my behalf, and then they asked me what charity I wanted it to go to. That worked for me.

Its one thing making a charitable donation on someones behalf.... but it is not a gift in my opinion.

The Human Fund is a good one ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_z3RTwIWOw]THE STORY OF FESTIVUS CHAPTER 1-THE HUMAN FUND SEINFELD - YouTube[/ame]​

Last edited:

Its one thing making a charitable donation on someones behalf.... but it is not a gift in my opinion.

Since they let me choose the charity, I took it as a gift.

I was just wondering how you all would feel about this one.

You open your gift and the card inside says that a goat and a cow were given to a village in africa in your name.

Next year I'd send a card that says a surf and turf and champagne were eaten and drank in their name and that it was delicious.

:lmao: ..we got into the whole social justice conversation.... and about my over the top lavish gift giving. The SIL seems to think we should stop the gifts and adopt some families. I told her we already do that..... didnt she?

I looked at the spoiled beyond belief, miserable, stuck up manhattan nephew and said, "And how will that be for you, me giving all of your gifts to someone else?" ...:lol:

I made goat cheese stuffed red peppers yesterday for the family.

Love goat cheese!

What a great gift for someone to give to someone else in your name! I also love Skulls Elephant Fostering Program site, I'm going to check that out too.

Most of us can BUY what we need, how cool that someone thought of others that CAN'T buy things.

One of the great things about living "off-grid" on a homestead is just how much you can do for yourself, and as an extension, for others. Most of the people I like got gift baskets with homemade cheese, sourdough bread, gingerbread, wild berry jams, tea cozies and such.

:eusa_eh: Gallant Warrior Tea Cozies?!?

If that doesn't find a market in America, nothing will. Slap on a genuine 'Made in USA' label and unlock the gravy train. "Woof!"

It really isn't, since the 'giver' can write it off on their taxes.

It really isn't, since the 'giver' can write it off on their taxes.

;)

and my guess is he is looking for all the right offs she can get.

I'd be annoyed because they gave my name and contact info to a charity without my permission.

I got a similar card several years ago and I still get all kinds of junk mail from the charity begging for more.

If you want to donate what you would have otherwise spent on a gift, and you feel the need to tell me, that's fine. Just do it in your own fucking name.

My ex's stepfather was Jewish, and his brother and sister-in-law would always send my daughter a card that a tree had been planted in Israel for any special occasion...yeah, just what a toddler wants and can appreciate.:lol:

I'd be annoyed because they gave my name and contact info to a charity without my permission.

I got a similar card several years ago and I still get all kinds of junk mail from the charity begging for more.

If you want to donate what you would have otherwise spent on a gift, and you feel the need to tell me, that's fine. Just do it in your own fucking name.

Something similar happened to me. When my husband was dying a neighbor, and she was sincere, gave our names to a local televangelist for prayer. When they started calling my husband had died, already. They called and asked for him, and I told the caller he had died a couple weeks prior. She called me a liar. Don't you think I wasn't on the phone with the telephone company over THAT one. They never called me again. Of course that was in the day when you could actually DO something about that kind of call.

It's easy to get revenge.

Just sign them up at the Scientology website or NAMBLA.
Yes, I am capable of being that evil.

My ex's stepfather was Jewish, and his brother and sister-in-law would always send my daughter a card that a tree had been planted in Israel for any special occasion...yeah, just what a toddler wants and can appreciate.:lol:

Well, since I have been diagnosed with this illness, I have pondered about such things. Almost without exception you see in obits these days that 'expressions of sympathy' should be sent to this or that 'foundation.' Not me, sister! I've taken care of other people all my life. I want my flowers, even if I am too dead to smell them. Hit me and beat me and call me a bitch. But don't you cheat me out of my FLOWERS when I'm gone!

Well here's a recovered memory: One year for our 'big' fall festival raffle someone donated a goat on the hoof. Of course we ALL bought tickets on the thing. When they held the drawing, it was the principal's daughter who won the thing. To this day, I believe that was rigged to keep some parent from going ballistic. Principal prolly had the thing slaughtered and barbequed. My FIL used to buy a goat on the hoof and have it slaughtered and barbequed at least once a summer. That's some pretty good eating.

I donated a big tom turkey to our archery club one year for the annual Thanksgiving turkey shoot. We sold tickets for a try to "shoot" for the turkey. The people who won this fine specimen took it home and the kids wouldn't let them slaughter him for Thanksgiving dinner. As far as I know, he's still struting proudly around their yard. He was a big bugger, too, at least 35 lbs, on-the-hoof!

It's easy to get revenge.

Just sign them up at the Scientology website or NAMBLA.
Yes, I am capable of being that evil.

And here i thought i was evil.....

:bowdown:

Forum List

Back