Huge Bonus This Year: Looking to buy a Mac Book Air. Any thoughts?

Interested most in the 13" Screen MD760LL/B. Consumer Reports lists it as a best buy.

Any thoughts?
Save your $$$.

Apple products are good if you go in for the upper categories. Their smaller 'ahem 'cheaper' stuff is usually shit.

A best buy for what? If you are only surfing the web and do not do 'creative' work you are wasting your cash. What programs/applications will you be installing? Don't know? Then save your money.

I have a very expensive Adobe Suite of programs and I do not have an Apple because i refuse to pay for what I would need and like. If I had money to throw away on a puter as I had before, the last thing I would buy is a book 13"

As with marketing when you ask 'Who are/is your audience?" with puters always ask "What will I be using it for?" and that should dictate what to look for. Consumer ratings can help if you look to what it is you want or need.

Interested most in the 13" Screen MD760LL/B. Consumer Reports lists it as a best buy.

Any thoughts?
Save your $$$.

Apple products are good if you go in for the upper categories. Their smaller 'ahem 'cheaper' stuff is usually shit.

A best buy for what? If you are only surfing the web and do not do 'creative' work you are wasting your cash. What programs/applications will you be installing? Don't know? Then save your money.

I have a very expensive Adobe Suite of programs and I do not have an Apple because i refuse to pay for what I would need and like. If I had money to throw away on a puter as I had before, the last thing I would buy is a book 13"

The highest marks CR gave it was for portability and performance, rating it "excellent" in both categories. It is rarted "fair" in versatility.

When you say you wouldn't buy a 13" book, are you commenting on the size of the screen or the Apple specifically?

One other question, I need a portable laptop, I've gotten away from using desktops even at work (Thank you IT Department). This one comes with word processing, spreadsheets, Keynote, camera, face time. Seemed like a good deal for about 850-900 bucks considering my last Dell/Microsoft fiasco didn't come with any of that and cost in that neighborhood.

What would you rec for a desktop that has the software listed?

The highest marks CR gave it was for portability and performance, rating it "excellent" in both categories. It is rarted "fair" in versatility.

When you say you wouldn't buy a 13" book, are you commenting on the size of the screen or the Apple specifically?

One other question, I need a portable laptop, I've gotten away from using desktops even at work (Thank you IT Department). This one comes with word processing, spreadsheets, Keynote, camera, face time. Seemed like a good deal for about 850-900 bucks considering my last Dell/Microsoft fiasco didn't come with any of that and cost in that neighborhood.

I make no recommendations on what to purchase. Just saying the cost is ridiculous. PC laptops have come a long way....a long way. Not much difference these days. For that amount of money you could but the most expensive pc laptop that would beat out any Apple 13" .... I believe you are misreading the ratings. But I was a Mac Addict years ago. If you desire an Apple product, go for it. Just don't bullshit yourself or others for what you are paying for.

I've been using an 11" MacBook Air while traveling for over five years without the slightest problem. Yes, the screen IS small but it's as big as I want to carry. The little power supply has worked well with every voltage/frequency I've thrown at it and I have been in places where the available power is downright strange. Only thing I don't like is the track pad but a $12 travel mouse with a retractile cord takes care of that and weighs only a few ounces. Sooner or later it's gonna need a battery and if my needs change a little more I'll look at an iPad mini with a really good clip-on keyboard or, maybe by then, one of those $49.95 Amazon mini tablets. But for now the little MacBook has served very well and has made producing my travel articles a breeze, halving the time it used to take when I had to do my text and photo editing back in the office.

Everything Dante said is correct. The one caveat - a Mac will last a long time without much effort as Henry said; a PC will last a long time only if you know what you're doing. That's what you're paying for.

My opinion is get a PC, an anti-virus, and an ad blocker. And don't click on obviously malevolent links. Your PC will last as long as any mac. Also, Macs have compatibility problems with everything.

Macs have compatibility problems with everything.

In the hands of the incompetent that can be true. If you're having trouble with a Mac just ask the grade school kid next door for a little help and it'll be all better.
Yeah there's a workaround for most Mac shortcomings. The question is, do people feel like learning those workarounds.

I've been using an 11" MacBook Air while traveling for over five years without the slightest problem. Yes, the screen IS small but it's as big as I want to carry. The little power supply has worked well with every voltage/frequency I've thrown at it and I have been in places where the available power is downright strange. Only thing I don't like is the track pad but a $12 travel mouse with a retractile cord takes care of that and weighs only a few ounces. Sooner or later it's gonna need a battery and if my needs change a little more I'll look at an iPad mini with a really good clip-on keyboard or, maybe by then, one of those $49.95 Amazon mini tablets. But for now the little MacBook has served very well and has made producing my travel articles a breeze, halving the time it used to take when I had to do my text and photo editing back in the office.

I noticed there were only 2 USB ports. I have a USB that plugs in that has 4 more ports on it (if that makes sense--the same way you plug in an extension chord to the wall outlet and you use that one plug but you can power 3 devices off the extension chord). Have you had any difficulty using such a device (if you have?). My portable hard drives all have 2 USB ports that are necessary for use with a laptop...I don't know how I'll be able to use them if I can't use my "exension chord"....

Any thoughts?
I recently got a MacBook Pro, 15.4" and I will never go near Windows or Microsoft again. I have iPads, but this is the first apple laptop I've had and I love it. My last laptop was a top spec Dell, cost the same, but was nothing but trouble from beginning to end. Sorry I'm not familiar with the Mac Book Air. And I've just realised this post is probably quite unhelpful too. Sorry :)

I make no recommendations on what to purchase. Just saying the cost is ridiculous. PC laptops have come a long way....a long way. Not much difference these days. For that amount of money you could but the most expensive pc laptop that would beat out any Apple 13" .... I believe you are misreading the ratings. But I was a Mac Addict years ago. If you desire an Apple product, go for it. Just don't bullshit yourself or others for what you are paying for.

On the previous page, they have an ACER Aspire 14" screen rated a 75 (the Apple is a 77) and it is listed at $600. That seems to dovetail with what you're saying. But I'm worried that the $600 includes no office software...

Any thoughts?
I recently got a MacBook Pro, 15.4" and I will never go near Windows or Microsoft again. I have iPads, but this is the first apple laptop I've had and I love it. My last laptop was a top spec Dell, cost the same, but was nothing but trouble from beginning to end. Sorry I'm not familiar with the Mac Book Air. And I've just realised this post is probably quite unhelpful too. Sorry :)
They run the same software so it's actually very helpful :thup:

Any thoughts?

No, its helpful.

I bought my Dell laptop in 2013 after purchasing 2 other ones. This one has a giant mousepad that is almost like a postcard. My right thumb is not used when I type so it sort of "drags" on the pad while I type and my cursor will move as a result.

Other times when I try to move the cursor from one side of the screen to another, it opens up hidden programs. The desktop has these cartoonish icons for general topics like "money", "mail", "pictures", "news" and I guess I was supposed to assign a service to each of them for peronalized data. Never did it.
I understand that's a Windows thing but I don't like it at all. I've been prompted to download Windows 10 about 300 times....McAfee continues to pop up...and every now and then a scary looking DOS type window opens for no reason with a black background and lines of code. It goes away immediately but I feel like Jim Carrey in The Truman Show when he sees the Key Grips and production assistants instead of the Travel Agent at the store he goes into. It's like; "I wasn't supposed to see that, was I?"

On the previous page, they have an ACER Aspire 14" screen rated a 75 (the Apple is a 77) and it is listed at $600. That seems to dovetail with what you're saying. But I'm worried that the $600 includes no office software...
ask. and for little money they could install it

Any thoughts?

No, its helpful.

I bought my Dell laptop in 2013 after purchasing 2 other ones. This one has a giant mousepad that is almost like a postcard. My right thumb is not used when I type so it sort of "drags" on the pad while I type and my cursor will move as a result.

Other times when I try to move the cursor from one side of the screen to another, it opens up hidden programs. The desktop has these cartoonish icons for general topics like "money", "mail", "pictures", "news" and I guess I was supposed to assign a service to each of them for peronalized data. Never did it.
I understand that's a Windows thing but I don't like it at all. I've been prompted to download Windows 10 about 300 times....McAfee continues to pop up...and every now and then a scary looking DOS type window opens for no reason with a black background and lines of code. It goes away immediately but I feel like Jim Carrey in The Truman Show when he sees the Key Grips and production assistants instead of the Travel Agent at the store he goes into. It's like; "I wasn't supposed to see that, was I?"
The Windows 10 thing drove me insane. I just remembered, after going nuts over the Dell - one annoying issue was the overheating and the fan, I got a Lenovo idea Pad? And it was with that that the Windows 10 thing kicked in. I just couldn't get that sorted, seemed to go half heartedly round in circles and never got it sorted out. In the end I just reset the Lenovo and gave it to my niece who needed a pooter, and then I rather anxiously got the MacBook. I was worried that I wouldn't know how to use it, since it's not Windows. lol. It works like a dream and all I have to do now is get rid of my windows phone and go back to the iPhone, and I will be Windows free. Forever.

Any thoughts?

No, its helpful.

The Windows 10 thing drove me insane. I just remembered, after going nuts over the Dell - one annoying issue was the overheating and the fan, I got a Lenovo idea Pad? And it was with that that the Windows 10 thing kicked in. I just couldn't get that sorted, seemed to go half heartedly round in circles and never got it sorted out. In the end I just reset the Lenovo and gave it to my niece who needed a pooter, and then I rather anxiously got the MacBook. I was worried that I wouldn't know how to use it, since it's not Windows. lol. It works like a dream and all I have to do now is get rid of my windows phone and go back to the iPhone, and I will be Windows free. Forever.
Does it have the back-lit keyboard?

Forum List

Back