How much teachers get in each country

No way teachers in the US work 45 hours a week. They have summers off and holiday time and half days.

They have more time off than anyone

No. It's closer to 60.

No it's not at least not according to the bureau of labor statistics

That's odd. They never asked me.
My kids don't receive science books. If they want to use a book, they have to check it out.

Wtf. All the money that the schools get, and they can't provide a science book to my kid? It all goes to the admin and the teachers.

And the science teacher is a freaking lunatic. I just spoke to her on the phone, I called to talk to her because my son said he was having difficulty in the class...and she was literally raving. I called the principal and said get my kid out of that class NOW. I don't know what her problem is, but my kid isn't going to be exposed to it. And I get the feeling I'm not the only one that's calling....

Anything they pay that pos is too much.

And better yet, if the teacher is bad, there is almost nothing the principal can do. School principals today, have about as much power as a prison warden, where the prison is owned and operated by the inmates, and every convict has both the keys and the locks to every room.

I was reading about Finland, and the one thing the Finnish school people THEMSELVES were complaining about, was the teachers Unions. They were talking about teachers who showed up in the class room, completely plastered. Drunk out of their minds, and the school administration couldn't do much except require the teacher sign up for classes for alcoholics, but couldn't even require that they show up for the classes. They could come to work drunk for 10 years, before the union contracts and control on administration allowed them to be removed.
Yeah, it's a lot more than that.

Right summers off, all kinds of time off during the school year

Not even close to a full time job

You'd be dead inside a week. Come on and give it a try! I dare you!

^^^^this

I doubt that I've worked real jobs for 80 or 90 hours a week

If teaching took as much skill as you say you'd all be paid a hell of a lot more

Why don't you try it and see if you think it is so easy?

Like I said before, both my parents were teachers. They certainly did not work 60 hours a week.

My father put in more hours than my mother, but then he was the wrestling coach. He left around 7 AM, and got home around 5:30. I never saw him work on the weekends.

Mother left around 8:30, and got back around 5. She did more grading of papers at home, but it depended on the time of year. When the kids had gym, she would grade at work.

Mom was elementary, so she had less time alone. Father was high school, so he generally only had 4 or 5 class periods a day, and the rest of the time was free. Which is why I can barely remember 2 or 3 times I ever saw him grading anything at home. Usually when there was a snow storm, that compressed the schedule.

The real trick is learning how to handle the kids. If you can learn how to deal with the troublesome kids, and how to maintain order in the class room, then teaching is a breeze. The worst part is saying the same thing over, and over, and over, and over and over. Year after year, same thing over and over and over.

If you don't know how to keep the kids on your side, and how to deal with the crazies, and how to keep order in the class... then yeah, it's hellish. You'll end up a bad rerun of kindergarten cop.

All of that said....

The whole reason both my parents retired from teaching, was entirely because they saw that the way things were going, more and more was expected to be taught, and the same amount of time was given for teaching. Additionally, the load of paperwork required, has been increasing over and over. Moreover, it was getting harder to remove bad students, which made teaching more difficult.

It is one of the major policies that I completely disagreed with Bush on. No Child Left behind should never have happened. Let the states work it out. It's not the Federals job to fix state schools.

My kids don't receive science books. If they want to use a book, they have to check it out.

Wtf. All the money that the schools get, and they can't provide a science book to my kid? It all goes to the admin and the teachers.

And the science teacher is a freaking lunatic. I just spoke to her on the phone, I called to talk to her because my son said he was having difficulty in the class...and she was literally raving. I called the principal and said get my kid out of that class NOW. I don't know what her problem is, but my kid isn't going to be exposed to it. And I get the feeling I'm not the only one that's calling....

And better yet, if the teacher is bad, there is almost nothing the principal can do. School principals today, have about as much power as a prison warden, where the prison is owned and operated by the inmates, and every convict has both the keys and the locks to every room.

I was reading about Finland, and the one thing the Finnish school people THEMSELVES were complaining about, was the teachers Unions. They were talking about teachers who showed up in the class room, completely plastered. Drunk out of their minds, and the school administration couldn't do much except require the teacher sign up for classes for alcoholics, but couldn't even require that they show up for the classes. They could come to work drunk for 10 years, before the union contracts and control on administration allowed them to be removed.

^^^^this

If teaching took as much skill as you say you'd all be paid a hell of a lot more

I have no desire to be a teacher but I know several and none of them work that hard maybe you're just not very good at it so it takes you longer

No way teachers in the US work 45 hours a week. They have summers off and holiday time and half days.

They have more time off than anyone

No. It's closer to 60.

No it's not at least not according to the bureau of labor statistics

That's odd. They never asked me.

^^^^this

Like I said before, both my parents were teachers. They certainly did not work 60 hours a week.

My father put in more hours than my mother, but then he was the wrestling coach. He left around 7 AM, and got home around 5:30. I never saw him work on the weekends.

Mother left around 8:30, and got back around 5. She did more grading of papers at home, but it depended on the time of year. When the kids had gym, she would grade at work.

Mom was elementary, so she had less time alone. Father was high school, so he generally only had 4 or 5 class periods a day, and the rest of the time was free. Which is why I can barely remember 2 or 3 times I ever saw him grading anything at home. Usually when there was a snow storm, that compressed the schedule.

The real trick is learning how to handle the kids. If you can learn how to deal with the troublesome kids, and how to maintain order in the class room, then teaching is a breeze. The worst part is saying the same thing over, and over, and over, and over and over. Year after year, same thing over and over and over.

If you don't know how to keep the kids on your side, and how to deal with the crazies, and how to keep order in the class... then yeah, it's hellish. You'll end up a bad rerun of kindergarten cop.

All of that said....

The whole reason both my parents retired from teaching, was entirely because they saw that the way things were going, more and more was expected to be taught, and the same amount of time was given for teaching. Additionally, the load of paperwork required, has been increasing over and over. Moreover, it was getting harder to remove bad students, which made teaching more difficult.

It is one of the major policies that I completely disagreed with Bush on. No Child Left behind should never have happened. Let the states work it out. It's not the Federals job to fix state schools.

My comment was not addressed to you.

Public education has changed radically since I became a teacher almost 20 years ago. Your parents taught in a completely different world.

^^^^this

I have no desire to be a teacher but I know several and none of them work that hard maybe you're just not very good at it so it takes you longer

I doubt you know any real teachers, and i doubt that you keep account of their actual working hours.

The fact is that I actually work less than my colleagues because I am better organized and more experienced, but since you know nothing about the topic, it is impossible for you to understand.

I have friends who are teachers...one of their kids is sleeping out in the living room now, ha ing spent the night.

That particular friend is a hard, hard worker who wouldn't put up with public school garbage if she didn't truly love working with kids. She works in the summer school so she works all year...and is paid aot extra for it. She also despairs of the state of our public schools, and those who teach in them. She's the first person I called about the craphead science teacher, because her son is in the same class.

And you work less than your colleagues because you're lazy and stupid, don't kid yourself.

^^^^this

I doubt you know any real teachers, and i doubt that you keep account of their actual working hours.

The fact is that I actually work less than my colleagues because I am better organized and more experienced, but since you know nothing about the topic, it is impossible for you to understand.

Oh "real" teachers?

2 teach public high school chemistry, math and physics
The other teaches English at a private school

And believe me none of them work 60 hours a week and they have more time off than Obama

Oh "real" teachers?

And believe me none of them work 60 hours a week and they have more time off than Obama

Believe YOU, of all people? Why the hell would anyone do that?

Those who complain about teachers not working hard are clueless hacks. If it is that lucrative they would have become one. They tell people not to be jealous of what others have so they should learn to not cry like babies so much.

Finland is not a good example. With the terrible climate and the extremely short winter days, alcoholism is endemic.

I'm confused by that response. Are you suggesting that having the climate, and winter days, means that you would have no problem with your child NOT being taught because their teacher was in a drunken alcoholic stupor in the classroom?

Would you have the breaks on your car fixed by a drunken alcoholic mechanic in a stupor? Would you trust a drunken alcoholic doctor to operate on you?

Would you accept that, if the Doctors Unions, prevented you from refusing to be operated by a doctor, clearly intoxicated, and barely able to stand?

It's always funny when people try and defend something, that if the positions were reversed, they would never tolerate.

We know what Republicans think of teachers. That we have too many.

Oh "real" teachers?

I'll bet! You probably are just pulling figures out of your ass from embarrassment at getting called on it.

I spend a minimum of 7-4 each day at work, 5 days a week. How many hours is that? It's 45 if you don't have a calculator handy. Add in about 5 hours grading papers on the weeknights and about 5-6 each weekend, and we are fast approaching 60 hours. E-mailing parents, attending required after school activities, and additional duties such as supervising students before school, and we are just about there.

BTW, just finished 3 hours of grading papers and it was a light evening.

Oh "real" teachers?

I'll bet! You probably are just pulling figures out of your ass from embarrassment at getting called on it.

I spend a minimum of 7-4 each day at work, 5 days a week. How many hours is that? It's 45 if you don't have a calculator handy. Add in about 5 hours grading papers on the weeknights and about 5-6 each weekend, and we are fast approaching 60 hours. E-mailing parents, attending required after school activities, and additional duties such as supervising students before school, and we are just about there.

BTW, just finished 3 hours of grading papers and it was a light evening.

Sorry if you're so slow but the bureau of labor statistics factored in slow people like you and the fact is teachers only work about 40 hours a week

Look it up you're a teacher so you should know how but I did post a link earlier if you can't

Oh "real" teachers?

Like I give a shit if you believe me but I posted a link that supported my claim you didn't

Oh "real" teachers?

Like I give a shit if you believe me ....

Then don't say "believe me," fool.

Oh "real" teachers?

Like I give a shit if you believe me ....

Then don't say "believe me," fool.

Then Believe Sean

BTW I agree with him

The first thing to grasp from the Chart, is that as I have said for literally a decade or more, is that we pay teachers TONS of money. There is only two countries that pay more than we do. Netherlands and Canada.

This non-stop drum beat, that we need to shell out more money, is crazy.

The second thing to grasp, is that some of the lowest paid teachers, are producing the highest quality students. Finland, Estonia, Poland, all out perform US students by a wide margin, and yet are paid a fraction as much.

I wager Vietnam, and Taiwan are also paid a fraction as much, but are not on your list.

The third thing to grasp, is that most of these education systems, spend less time teaching than do our teachers.

I would suggest that it's not really because they are just so amazing, that they can teach in 4 hours, what our teachers take all day to teach.... but rather because they are not required to teach as much, other than the fundamentals.
What you fail to take into account is the complexity of US society. Schools and teachers put out far more effort, time, energy, etc., in dealing with social problems rather than focusing on actual academics. Finland, Estonia, Poland, Vietnam and Taiwan are small homogenous societies with few social problems and only one tier of governing for education. In comparison, the US is a huge, very diverse country with a myriad of social problems and several tiers of governing over educational policies and practices. There is simply no comparison. As well, the cost of living in the US is higher than most of the countries mentioned; salary should go along with cost of living.

Bottom line: you just do not know anything whatsoever about the real issues in American education.

^^^^this

Exactly. Most people don't want to teach because it is NOT well paid, NOT easy, and teachers in the US get no respect or appreciation for what they do.

No way teachers in the US work 45 hours a week.

Most teachers have a great deal of 'homework.' Preparation, reading, grading papers, etc. They work more than 8 hours a day on average.

Sorry but I linked a post that quoted the bureau of labor statistics saying that on average teachers work about 40 hours a week

Most people want to be teachers because they get

^^^^this

Exactly. Most people don't want to teach because it is NOT well paid, NOT easy, and teachers in the US get no respect or appreciation for what they do.
Most people want to be teachers because they get summers off

Forum List

Back