how do you judge success?

How do you judge success as a business owner?

• I am a success if I am doing well, and my employees are not.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a success if me and my employees are doing well.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other. see explanation.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

spectrumc01

I give you....the TRUTH
Feb 9, 2011
The United States
In my younger days I had a job working sales. It was a great job and I had lots of fun, I just wish the hours weren't so long (10-12 hrs per day six days a week). One day I was standing in the parking lot with the owner of the franchise, and he says to me, "we're not doing so well." I replied, " what? sales are up and you and I are doing pretty good." He then says to me, "I judge success by how well my employees are doing." If they are making money and doing well than obviously I am doing well also. If they are not doing well than I'm not doing good by them, and must work harder to help them achieve their goals."

So, now I wonder, how should employers judge their success? Are they successful business men and women if they are flush and their employees are struggling? When I look into the parking lot at work, and the only cars belong to management and the owner, what does that say?

In my younger days I had a job working sales. It was a great job and I had lots of fun, I just wish the hours weren't so long (10-12 hrs per day six days a week). One day I was standing in the parking lot with the owner of the franchise, and he says to me, "we're not doing so well." I replied, " what? sales are up and you and I are doing pretty good." He then says to me, "I judge success by how well my employees are doing." If they are making money and doing well than obviously I am doing well also. If they are not doing well than I'm not doing good by them, and must work harder to help them achieve their goals."

So, now I wonder, how should employers judge their success? Are they successful business men and women if they are flush and their employees are struggling? When I look into the parking lot at work, and the only cars belong to management and the owner, what does that say?

People define success differently. I would say it is the result of achieving your goals by designing a life that brings you contentment. In business I would judge success by how many customers I, and and my staff, have made happy. This would generally translate into happy employees, who have helped make it all possible. It is a combined effort on the part of all. Being able to make your overhead in business is a gratifying experience.***

Booker T. Washington offers his sage impression:

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life, as by the obstacles one has overcome trying to succeed."

Forum List

Back