How do I reach you?

I've got a new college student I really like that I am helping with an English Comp class. She's in a program for low income moms and their young children; it's a great program, but not all of them are really ready, academically, for college. With this young lady, I'm banging my head on the wall. After a month of trying, I feel like Annie Sullivan crying to Helen Keller "HOW DO I REACH YOU?"

She's a concrete thinker. She is supposed to learn to analyze pieces of writing from the perspective of genre, audience, writer, purpose, etc. She cannot move off telling us what the piece is about. She looks at me with that glazed look when I say "Step back and look at the piece from the perspective of why it was written, not WHAT was written." She can't make that leap to analysis; all her responses devolve back into a book report. I don't know what else to do with her. The prof gives her questions to answer, but it doesn't help. She's not a drooling idiot. I think she could do it with the right assistance climbing onto the first rung of the ladder, but I don't know what to do to get her there.

I know there are some smart and wise people on this board, so if any of you have any experience with this, please, please, please help.

English comp? Single mother? Welfare queen? Waste of time and money. Two words for you, below. Maybe you are the problem? you may be a lousy teacher? Get out of the GOVT SCAM. I don't want to pay for salsa dancing hogs to twerk shuck jive breed.

Trade School.

Did you know that the author of Harry Potter was on welfare ?

Writers are idiots who make no positive advances in society and are often useless liberals who encourage violence and separations in society. They also build unnecessary debt and take away grant money that could be used elsewhere, on their worthless liberal arts degrees.

:terror:

You might want to get a tutor , because you obviously do not have a clue what you are talking about..

‘Forbes’ Billionaire List: JK Rowling Drops From Billionaire To Millionaire Due To Charitable Giving

'Forbes' Billionaire List: JK Rowling Drops From Billionaire To Millionaire Due To Charitable Giving | HuffPost

I was being sarcastic and simply posting what some of the Conservatives on this forum think. That's what the ninja emoji is for...

She is probably doing it every day and doesn't even realize it. I bet she can recognize a hustler. I bet she applies that to an entire group of people she refuses to interact with at all. I bet she has seen late night commercials that target the elderly. She might even zone out or ignore them because she isn't the one those commercials were written for. I bet she has heard commercials on the radio that target low income people with good credit/bad credit/no credit at all for a vehicle. Then there are those commercials that offer insurance for people with DUIs. Commercials target different people of different classes.

Perhaps if she sees how she is already analyzing why those messages are being sent and how she filters them in and out then it won't seem unreachable. Some people will never move out of concrete thinking. Some people just need a little more confidence in the knowledge they already possess.
Kisses, Disir. Unlike some of the posters here who are ready to write her off, I KNOW she is not hopeless. I'm going to keep in mind that confidence (which she sure isn't getting so far in this class) is as important as the content, especially at first. Thank you.

You might be missing a simple solution.
What would that be?

Maybe she needs a different tutor. Sometimes a different perspective or combination of personalities can elicit different results.
Thanks for that. I have already reached out to another tutor (very different personality and approach) to help her as well. We are both working with her.

I've got a new college student I really like that I am helping with an English Comp class. She's in a program for low income moms and their young children; it's a great program, but not all of them are really ready, academically, for college. With this young lady, I'm banging my head on the wall. After a month of trying, I feel like Annie Sullivan crying to Helen Keller "HOW DO I REACH YOU?"

She's a concrete thinker. She is supposed to learn to analyze pieces of writing from the perspective of genre, audience, writer, purpose, etc. She cannot move off telling us what the piece is about. She looks at me with that glazed look when I say "Step back and look at the piece from the perspective of why it was written, not WHAT was written." She can't make that leap to analysis; all her responses devolve back into a book report. I don't know what else to do with her. The prof gives her questions to answer, but it doesn't help. She's not a drooling idiot. I think she could do it with the right assistance climbing onto the first rung of the ladder, but I don't know what to do to get her there.

I know there are some smart and wise people on this board, so if any of you have any experience with this, please, please, please help.

English comp? Single mother? Welfare queen? Waste of time and money. Two words for you, below. Maybe you are the problem? you may be a lousy teacher? Get out of the GOVT SCAM. I don't want to pay for salsa dancing hogs to twerk shuck jive breed.

Trade School.

Writers are idiots who make no positive advances in society and are often useless liberals who encourage violence and separations in society. They also build unnecessary debt and take away grant money that could be used elsewhere, on their worthless liberal arts degrees.

You might want to get a tutor , because you obviously do not have a clue what you are talking about..

‘Forbes’ Billionaire List: JK Rowling Drops From Billionaire To Millionaire Due To Charitable Giving

'Forbes' Billionaire List: JK Rowling Drops From Billionaire To Millionaire Due To Charitable Giving | HuffPost

I was being sarcastic and simply posting what some of the Conservatives on this forum think. That's what the ninja emoji is for...
I knew that.
BTW, for anyone who is bothering to actually read the posts, she is not a liberal arts English major. EVERYONE has to take English Comp. 101 in their freshman year.

Trade School.

You changed your avatar..lol..I didn't recognize you.:lol: too funny

Ok..letting the thread get back on track..

Trade School.

You changed your avatar..lol..I didn't recognize you.:lol: too funny

Ok..letting the thread get back on track..

I got tired of being called a Russian JUST because I had a bear in my avatar. :lmao:

To be a writer, it seems to me you study successful writers for who THEY WERE and what motivated them to write on their topics. Maybe reading the work and analyzing it ought to be ALWAYS accompanied with enough background on the writer to make students REALIZE -- it's not just fiction -- it's a PRODUCT..

Of course every writer wants to entertain. MAYBE inform. But to analyze their work, you need to know WHO THEY WERE.. And who they were writing for..

th

*****SMILE*****

:)

I would want her to teach me her language first to find the nuances. The easiest way to learn a foreign language is marry the foreign language speaker but that could be impossible for you. However, you can eat their food and that is a good place to start.

This is why I only got Bs in English Literature. I understood what they wanted, I just really could not bring myself to care. Serious Sf had ideas that did not require knowing about the author and society at the time of writing. Those are all transient. We are hurling into the future. How do we figure out what to do with it?

Oh right, we can't even comprehend global warming. Who cares about Dickens?

What is she trying to major in?

Forum List

Back