How can UE drop that dramatically with only 144000 jobs created?

• Banned
It's a serious question for someone defending these numbers. If we need 200000+ just to keep pace with population growth and we gain less than that I don't get the math.

The BLS reported that while only 114,000 jobs were created in September--which would have translated into a rise in unemployment from 8.1% to 8.2%--the unemployment rate fell dramatically to 7.8%.

One reason for the rise was an upward revision of 86,000 to the July and August jobs numbers--all of which came from a 91,000 increase in the estimate of public sector jobs. Private sector job estimates were actually revised downward by 5,000.

In addition, the BLS reported a large rise in the number of part-time jobs, adding 600,000 jobs to the total--a dramatic increase of 7.5%, not explained by any other economic indicators--and raising questions about whether the government had changed the way it counted part-time workers.

Fact Check: Suspicion Falls on Labor Secretary Solis as She Misleads on Jobs Revisions

You can't have a GDP of 1.3, a drop in manufacturing and this kind of UE drop. The UE 6 rate is 14.7% so it makes no sense that the unemployment rate would drop 3.5%.

It's a serious question for someone defending these numbers. If we need 200000+ just to keep pace with population growth and we gain less than that I don't get the math.

Dont worry gramps. Youre not going senile yet. Under this wonderful utopian system, if everyone in the US fell off the payrolls and then 1 person became employed, we would have 0 unemployment.

Something screwy is going on...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_E6qP8X62Q&feature=player_embedded]Wealth Manager On Jobs Report: "No Way In The World These Numbers Are Accurate" - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL1TeI2x2H0&feature=player_embedded]Joe Scarborough is confused by the new jobs numbers - YouTube[/ame]

So the BLS massaged the data to bring the numbers down. Is this really that surprising to anyone?

And yet stupid people will vote for Obama and Mitt. It's hard to get anything done when the majority of the voters in the US only care about "their side" winning, at any cost.

Honest question here.

We had months with double that and it barely budged.

Please explain.

There are TWO different surveys.
The Current Employment Statistics is a survey of Business establishments. It excludes agriculture, the self employed, and unpaid family workers. It counts workers for every job they have. It is based on the Pay Period that contains the 12th of the month.

The CES total non farm payroll employment went from 133,386,000 to 133,500,000 a change of 114,000

The Current Population Survey is a survey of households and includes everyone 16 and older not active duty military and not in prison or other institution. People are counted once, no matter how many jobs they have. It is based on the week that contains the 12th.

The CPS showed Employment go from 142,101,000 to 142,974,000 a change of 873,000
The CPS showed Unemployment go from 12,544,000 to 12,088,000 a change of -456,000

The UE rate is Unemployed/(Employed + Unemployed) = 12,088,000/(142,974,000 + 12,088,000) = 12,088,000/155,063,000 = 7.8%

Yes it is an unusually large discrepency between the two surveys, even accounting for definitional differences.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtYvI1EFZAY&feature=player_embedded]Fox News on job numbers - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWZ6JD_A1FY&feature=player_embedded]Fox news on job numbers2 - YouTube[/ame]

FOX NEWS ON JOB NUMBERS: Behind the scenes...​

tumblr_m5a3x7W0lP1qijbbs.gif

Honest question here.

Please explain.

If numbers hurt your head, then what good would an explanation do?

Let the adults work this out, sweetie.

So I Take it you as a big adult and all, can explain how adding less jobs than we need to keep up with Population Growth can cause the Rate to Drop so much?

Please use small words so we can follow your superior Intellect.

You brainless Obamabot.

Honest question here.

Please explain.

If numbers hurt your head, then what good would an explanation do?

Let the adults work this out, sweetie.

So I Take it you as a big adult and all, can explain how adding less jobs than we need to keep up with Population Growth can cause the Rate to Drop so much?

Please use small words so we can follow your superior Intellect.

You brainless Obamabot.
I already explained it. But I doubt you can follow my superior Intellect.

Forum List

Back