How are gay people being perceived in Florida?

Hello there all of you,

my boyfriend and I want to move to Florida, because we got a really good offer on a beautiful condo in Pompano Beach (from here, if anyone is interested). Now, we live in Colorado right now and we are not being perceived that well, seeing as we are gay. How is the situation in Florida, especially in Fort Lauderdale like? Will we run into a lot of discrimination or are people rather open towards the LGBT community?
Gay Friendly Neighborhoods Fort Lauderdale - Pompano

You'll love it. There is discrimination everywhere but Florida (especially the further south you go) has a large LGBT population and because of this there is no where near the crap there is in other areas. In fact, it is so large and so openly accepted that it isn't the LGB&T that are considered oddities---it's those that are discriminatory. I'm saying that as a straight person and I cannot tell you that you will never encounter it but I can say that most people don't give a flip.

Hello there all of you,

my boyfriend and I want to move to Florida, because we got a really good offer on a beautiful condo in Pompano Beach (from here, if anyone is interested). Now, we live in Colorado right now and we are not being perceived that well, seeing as we are gay. How is the situation in Florida, especially in Fort Lauderdale like? Will we run into a lot of discrimination or are people rather open towards the LGBT community?

You'll love it. There is discrimination everywhere but Florida (especially the further south you go) has a large LGBT population and because of this there is no where near the crap there is in other areas. In fact, it is so large and so openly accepted that it isn't the LGB&T that are considered oddities---it's those that are discriminatory. I'm saying that as a straight person and I cannot tell you that you will never encounter it but I can say that most people don't give a flip.
That's correct. One time I was in Miami on vacation. The battery in my car died. This dude saw my hood raised and asked me if I needed some help. I told him that it looks like I need to get somebody to "jump me off". I was immediately gang raped by 5 dudes, one tranny, and 3 goats. It was fucking crazy.

Hello there all of you,

That's correct. One time I was in Miami on vacation. The battery in my car died. This dude saw my hood raised and asked me if I needed some help. I told him that it looks like I need to get somebody to "jump me off". I was immediately gang raped by 5 dudes, one tranny, and 3 goats. It was fucking crazy.

So.............you were nailed by the Chicken Busters, eh?

Interior parts of Florida has a special breed of backwoods swamp redneck - the Swampneck. I have spent a good deal of time down there on fishing trips. I have some N. Ga. Hillbilly flowing through my veins, so I am fairly adept as merging into and out of the various strains of southern redneck.

Those interior Swampnecks will string up a minority just for the fuck of it... Before breakfast. I am not 100% sure, but I think they would fry them up and eat them too. They fry up and eat every fucking thing else they catch.

The coasts are fine for homos and every freak out there. But my advice is that when traveling through the interior part of the state you ought to ratchet down the queer. No public affection, lisping, no man sandals, no hair gel, no skinny jeans, etc... If you want to you can put together a disguise with something like a John Deere baseball cap and can of Skoal to carry in your back pocket. If one of those Swampnecks smoke you out and starts looking at you like he's going to murder you, then shake your head and loudly say something like "I'm sick and tired of all these fucking Cubans!", or "That god damn Obama! I told you this would happen if they put a fucking nigg&r in the White House". If you do this then you will be fine; the Swampneck will nod approvingly and then go about his business.

Just watch it, dude. Be smart, hug the coast, and watch out for those Swampnecks! Good luck!

I could not agree with this assessment more. I lived in FL for 15 years.

What can you say about people who look at a squirrel or possum, and think, "dinner."

I am being dead serious. One time I was staying at a fish camp on the Kissimmee chain of lakes. There was a barbecue one night and everybody was drinking. We had gotten friendly with some of these Swampnecks who had facial hair like ZZTop (I am buddies with everybody when I am drunk). Somehow we ended up in an airboat in the middle of the lake, after midnight, hunting alligators. By the time we were out there on the lake shining for gators me and my friend had sobered up completely and started worrying about whether we were going to make it back alive. It is a little unnerving when some Swampneck is trying to wrestle a live gator into the boat and he starts yelling "grab him!!!!"

Both crazy fuckers ended up catching a live gator. They duct taped it mouth and tied up the legs. Once we got back to dry land I started drinking again. The Swampnecks, however, started smoking swamp weed as they butchered the gator. They fried up that fucker that night. I didn't really want to try it but I didn't want to end up in the hot oil for being rude, so I ate some fried gator.

So, yeah, I am being serious. Our Ga rednecks are pretty fucking tame compared to Fla Swampnecks.

I actually think deep fried gator is pretty tasty, with a nice remoulade. Saying remoulade out loud in central florida, though, would probably mark you as a queer, liberal, or cajun, and get your ass kicked.

Travel along these roads you should be fine.

System_Map_Simple.jpg

Eat here if traveling Two Gays Restaurant all over the state. Black& Whites are good. Stay away from the Whitefish too damn salty.

Chocolate Cheese Delight-Layers of moist chocolate cake separated by a layer of our famous New York style cheesecake.

Killer Cake-Our most famous dessert. If you like chocolate, look no further.

All Locations | TooJays

There is a sign in Clewiston that says "pedo tax"
Ha ha! I have stayed in Clewiston a couple times on trips to Lake Okeechobee. We even stayed at the Clewiston Inn there downtown. It's been many years ago, though, that I was there. Compared to some of the backwoods yahoos around the Kissimmee chain of lakes, Clewiston is a cultured metropolis.

I think you will be fine there.
Oh and I have had plenty of fresh whitefish, and it is an extremely mild fish , and not salty in the least. ;)
Melt in your mouth tender when grilled.
Hope all works out for you.

Last edited:

System_Map_Simple.jpg
I saw someone had marked my above post with as "funny".

I will elaborate a bit more. I lived in FL several times on each coast and like many people, have traveled extensively within the state.

Based on my experience I do suggest you use the roads I provided until you get a better sense for the state and like anywhere it has places you will gravitate toward and areas you may not want to visit. However, my experience driving through and visiting the southern inland areas has been bittersweet. It has included observing migrant farm workers which moved me to the point where I established a drive which involved retrieving, fixing and delivering bicycle to the workers where U-Haul donated the necessary trailers etc to transport the bicycles, searching for a missing young girl who was found dead in a shallow grave, being followed then chased by some inbred goobers and meeting some nice folks in my travels.

Point is: get to know the place at your own pace. It is a great state to explore and enjoy. You should have a great time there, being "gay" will have nothing to do with your experience unless you make it so.

Oh yea, the "salty" whitefish is in the preparation and a recognized fact based on mine and others review of the dish prepared by the restaurant I suggested. They know it and state that is how they prepare the dish; it is a matter of taste.:)

Last edited:
There is a sign in Clewiston that says "pedo tax"
Ha ha! I have stayed in Clewiston a couple times on trips to Lake Okeechobee. We even stayed at the Clewiston Inn there downtown. It's been many years ago, though, that I was there. Compared to some of the backwoods yahoos around the Kissimmee chain of lakes, Clewiston is a cultured metropolis.
It's an advertisement. There is actually a company there called Pedo Tax.

System_Map_Simple.jpg

I will elaborate a bit more. I lived in FL several times on each coast and like many people, have traveled extensively within the state.

Based on my experience I do suggest you use the roads I provided until you get a better sense for the state and like anywhere it has places you will gravitate toward and areas you may not want to visit. However, my experience driving through and visiting the southern inland areas has been bittersweet. It has included observing migrant farm workers which moved me to the point where I established a drive which involved retrieving, fixing and delivering bicycle to the workers where U-Haul donated the necessary trailers etc to transport the bicycles, searching for a missing young girl who was found dead in a shallow grave, being followed then chased by some inbred goobers and meeting some nice folks in my travels.

Point is: get to know the place at your own pace. It is a great state to explore and enjoy. You should have a great time there, being "gay" will have nothing to do with your experience unless you make it so.

Oh yea, the "salty" whitefish is in the preparation and a recognized fact based on mine and others review of the dish prepared by the restaurant I suggested. They know it and state that is how they prepare the dish; it is a matter of taste.:)

I think I marked it with a smiley because your commentary about staying on the main roads made me laugh.

I have been going to Florida my entire life. And lived there for quite a while as well. So, I too know a wee bit about it. Was just there hmm 4 months ago...last time.

My misunderstanding that the salty white fish was from a certain restaurant. I thought it was a general statement of white fish, rather than how one place prepared it.
That's why I was ''huh''??.

No biggie...sorry.

System_Map_Simple.jpg

I think I marked it with a smiley because your commentary about staying on the main roads made me laugh.
LOL thanks. The way funny is being used here who knew?

Forum List

Back