How are gay people being perceived in Florida?

CherryCoke

Rookie
Apr 23, 2016
Hello there all of you,

my boyfriend and I want to move to Florida, because we got a really good offer on a beautiful condo in Pompano Beach (from here, if anyone is interested). Now, we live in Colorado right now and we are not being perceived that well, seeing as we are gay. How is the situation in Florida, especially in Fort Lauderdale like? Will we run into a lot of discrimination or are people rather open towards the LGBT community?

My gay stepbrother has lived there for many years without any complaints. That's all I can tell you.

Just like anywhere else in America, if you stay along the coast and avoid the goobers and rednecks who live inland you'll be fine.

I am curious. Why do you think you're not perceived well in Colorado?

Don't worry, you two will blend in just fine. ..... :cool:

0.jpg

Thank you Mr. Clean. I mean, we are not the couple that is making out in public or something like that, but sometimes it is nice to hold hands while grocery shopping without being frowned upon. I mean something like that, when I ask, I guess.

Good luck to you.

But remember, Florida, as "unsouth" as it is, is still in the South.

Well, we have overhead some of our neighbours refer to us as "the faggots" behind our backs and in general we can very often see people look at us in a bad way. In some shops we have been treated with disrespect and the list goes on. I prefer to be ignored rather than to experience stuff like this.

And Sunni Man, exactly because of people like you we want to leave. I understand humor, but we are not cross-dressers :) we are gay and we dress like any other man in the world. So thanks for the unnecessary comment.

Well, we have overhead some of our neighbours refer to us as "the faggots" behind our backs and in general we can very often see people look at us in a bad way. In some shops we have been treated with disrespect and the list goes on. I prefer to be ignored rather than to experience stuff like this.

I see. Sadly, you'll find mean-spirited jerks in every state. I am very lucky b/c I've only
experienced such behavior only once in my life. I am quite happy that our neighbors love us. lol

And Sunni Man, exactly because of people like you we want to leave. I understand humor, but we are not cross-dressers :) we are gay and we dress like any other man in the world. So thanks for the unnecessary comment.
If you grow a pair of balls you'll do better everywhere.

Good luck to you.

But remember, Florida, as "unsouth" as it is, is still in the South.

Thank you :)

I see. Sadly, you'll find mean-spirited jerks in every state. I am very lucky b/c I've only
experienced such behavior only once in my life. I am quite happy that our neighbors love us. lol

Yeah it sucks and of course, they will be everywhere, but it is nice when they don't have to do it so overtly. Are you from Colorado as well?

Hello there all of you,

my boyfriend and I want to move to Florida, because we got a really good offer on a beautiful condo in Pompano Beach (from here, if anyone is interested). Now, we live in Colorado right now and we are not being perceived that well, seeing as we are gay. How is the situation in Florida, especially in Fort Lauderdale like? Will we run into a lot of discrimination or are people rather open towards the LGBT community?
Ft Lauderdale will be no problem. Wilton Manors, right next door, has a majority gay population.

Yeah it sucks and of course, they will be everywhere, but it is nice when they don't have to do it so overtly. Are you from Colorado as well?

No, I am from Pennsylvania. I wish you and yours the very best in move. Florida is too muggy for my taste.

Interior parts of Florida has a special breed of backwoods swamp redneck - the Swampneck. I have spent a good deal of time down there on fishing trips. I have some N. Ga. Hillbilly flowing through my veins, so I am fairly adept as merging into and out of the various strains of southern redneck.

Those interior Swampnecks will string up a minority just for the fuck of it... Before breakfast. I am not 100% sure, but I think they would fry them up and eat them too. They fry up and eat every fucking thing else they catch.

The coasts are fine for homos and every freak out there. But my advice is that when traveling through the interior part of the state you ought to ratchet down the queer. No public affection, lisping, no man sandals, no hair gel, no skinny jeans, etc... If you want to you can put together a disguise with something like a John Deere baseball cap and can of Skoal to carry in your back pocket. If one of those Swampnecks smoke you out and starts looking at you like he's going to murder you, then shake your head and loudly say something like "I'm sick and tired of all these fucking Cubans!", or "That god damn Obama! I told you this would happen if they put a fucking nigg&r in the White House". If you do this then you will be fine; the Swampneck will nod approvingly and then go about his business.

Just watch it, dude. Be smart, hug the coast, and watch out for those Swampnecks! Good luck!

Interior parts of Florida has a special breed of backwoods swamp redneck - the Swampneck. I have spent a good deal of time down there on fishing trips. I have some N. Ga. Hillbilly flowing through my veins, so I am fairly adept as merging into and out of the various strains of southern redneck.

Those interior Swampnecks will string up a minority just for the fuck of it... Before breakfast. I am not 100% sure, but I think they would fry them up and eat them too. They fry up and eat every fucking thing else they catch.

The coasts are fine for homos and every freak out there. But my advice is that when traveling through the interior part of the state you ought to ratchet down the queer. No public affection, lisping, no man sandals, no hair gel, no skinny jeans, etc... If you want to you can put together a disguise with something like a John Deere baseball cap and can of Skoal to carry in your back pocket. If one of those Swampnecks smoke you out and starts looking at you like he's going to murder you, then shake your head and loudly say something like "I'm sick and tired of all these fucking Cubans!", or "That god damn Obama! I told you this would happen if they put a fucking nigg&r in the White House". If you do this then you will be fine; the Swampneck will nod approvingly and then go about his business.

Just watch it, dude. Be smart, hug the coast, and watch out for those Swampnecks! Good luck!
Not sure if you are being serious but this all exactly true.

Not sure if you are being serious but this all exactly true.
I am being dead serious. One time I was staying at a fish camp on the Kissimmee chain of lakes. There was a barbecue one night and everybody was drinking. We had gotten friendly with some of these Swampnecks who had facial hair like ZZTop (I am buddies with everybody when I am drunk). Somehow we ended up in an airboat in the middle of the lake, after midnight, hunting alligators. By the time we were out there on the lake shining for gators me and my friend had sobered up completely and started worrying about whether we were going to make it back alive. It is a little unnerving when some Swampneck is trying to wrestle a live gator into the boat and he starts yelling "grab him!!!!"

Both crazy fuckers ended up catching a live gator. They duct taped it mouth and tied up the legs. Once we got back to dry land I started drinking again. The Swampnecks, however, started smoking swamp weed as they butchered the gator. They fried up that fucker that night. I didn't really want to try it but I didn't want to end up in the hot oil for being rude, so I ate some fried gator.

So, yeah, I am being serious. Our Ga rednecks are pretty fucking tame compared to Fla Swampnecks.

Forum List

Back