Home schooled children outpacing public school students

You are proving that the #1 reason for success in education is engaged parents. Now....what do you plan to do about the 75% + parents who can't or won't educate, or even participate in the education of their own children?

Nothing, nothing at all. People will educate themselves given the opportunity. It happens every day. Make schools voluntary.

Remember Dorothy Parker. You can take a whore to culture, but you can't make her think.

Is making school voluntary workable if you want to keep an educated voting citizenry? What do we do with those kids whose parents don't send their kids to school?

Nothing. It's not our day to watch them. Seriously, how many parents do not want their children to learn? Your thinking reflects the elitist attitude of liberals everywhere.

Kids want to learn. Have you ever watched them play? Engaged with them?

Besides, you're taking for granted that we have a citizenry equipped to make intelligent voting decisions. We don't.

Last edited:
Its a shame that so many of them are so sadly crippled socially and emotionally. I haven't known hundreds and hundreds of the but the ones I've known were unable to function in a group out in society.

As for the quality of the education, its stupid and typically rw to asssume all homeschooling is better than all brick and mortar schooling.

This may well be the favorite fad of the radical rw's but seriously, how many of these holy roller bible thumping creationist evangelists will find a group of worshipers to support them through life?

Nonsense. There are no churches, little leagues, play groups, neighborhood clubs?

You've built yourself a stereotype to grouse about. I know you may find this difficult to believe, but those "holy roller bible thumping creationist evangelists" love their children and want the best for them just like everyone else.

Abuse and Neglect in Homeschooling Families

There are homeschooled children who are physically abused through excessively harsh corporal punishment and homeschooled children who are not well educated, if they are educated at all, because their parents believe godliness is more important than book learning.

Homeschooled Kids, Now Grown

These days King, 22, has a hard time stepping into a church without having a panic attack. She escaped—her word—from her family in Georgia on her 18th birthday and lives in Maine with her husband, also a former homeschooler. Very little is left of the ideology her parents worked so furiously to instill in her. She’s ashamed of the work she did as a leader in various homeschooling youth organizations, which, she writes, “contributed to the amount of hurt I and many others who grew up in this radical/evangelical/conservative/christian subculture endured and continue to endure.”

Barely Literate? How Christian Fundamentalist Homeschooling Hurts Kids

Christian fundamentalists are driving our country into the Dark Ages

America has an infection. Whether it is terminal remains to be seen. The infection is that of anti-intellectualism, a steadfast refusal to acknowledge that one’s worldview is mutable, a worldview in which facts are only facts if they fit that worldview, and that anyone who disagrees with a Christian fundamentalist worldview is an “enemy” of God. The infection has taken hold in conservative politics, where it has spread to a significant portion of the American population, and even into a significant amount of the Canadian population.

It depends on who is teaching and what they are teaching.

...and, of course, you know what they should be teaching. After all, you're a liberal.

I'm actually glad idiots like rdean hate homeschoolers. If he manages to pollute the genepool, I know his offspring will work for mine.

HOWEVER, home school at first might sound awesome, but where do they learn their social aspect? They lose that with home-school. Not to mention their is a fun aspect to socializing at school. I guarantee home school kids are social awkward when they get semi-on their own at college!

you can not guarantee ANYTHING since you have no idea what you are talking about.

Children nowadays have gazillion ways where they can socialize and much better ones than at school.

The socializing arguement is stupid.

I don't want my kids socializing with some of the primates I see walking around. They'll learn to socialize just fine, socializing with their parents and each other. Yet they're still enrolled in religion classes and play with other kids at parks, so they get plenty of "socializing" done.

I also know plenty of homeschooled kids who are pretty impressive, and give me hope for the next generation.

HOWEVER, home school at first might sound awesome, but where do they learn their social aspect? They lose that with home-school. Not to mention their is a fun aspect to socializing at school. I guarantee home school kids are social awkward when they get semi-on their own at college!

you can not guarantee ANYTHING since you have no idea what you are talking about.

Children nowadays have gazillion ways where they can socialize and much better ones than at school.

I don't want my kids socializing with some of the primates I see walking around. They'll learn to socialize just fine, socializing with their parents and each other. Yet they're still enrolled in religion classes and play with other kids at parks, so they get plenty of "socializing" done.

I also know plenty of homeschooled kids who are pretty impressive, and give me hope for the next generation.
I am happy my 15 year-old, as of yesterday (Sept. 11th) does not attend US public schools and it is not a dilemma I have to concern myself with on that level.

The OP claims most homeschooled kids graduate when they are 12. Is that true, or is he mentally retarded, lying, and/or full of shit?

So,

would a homeschooled kid be smart enough to know that this thread belonged in the education forum?

They'd be smart enough to understand the political ramifications in the thread instead of blindly following a narrow taxonomy.

What political ramifications? Rightwing beliefs aren't political. They're pathological.
Do you contemplate what you say before you spiel? That is so hackneyed!

So,

would a homeschooled kid be smart enough to know that this thread belonged in the education forum?

They'd be smart enough to understand the political ramifications in the thread instead of blindly following a narrow taxonomy.

What political ramifications? Rightwing beliefs aren't political. They're pathological.

Yes, we definitely have a product of public school education here, folks.

A pity.

Smart parents are starting to realize just how bad the public schools really are:

Do you know there are 10 and 12- year-old students already attending college classes in America? It is happening every day as parents flee the public schools and instead educate their children at home.

All across the U.S. home schooled children continue to surpass children subjected to the dumbing-down process that is offered by public education. The results are by the time home schooled students are in the 8th grade, they are four years ahead of their public/private school counterparts.

Parents who are aware of Common Core curriculum (one size fits all) that was created by the Obama administration are leaving the public school system by the hundreds of thousands and if a charter school is not available are turning to home schooling.

The statistics about how far ahead home school children are may be ignored by some school boards however consciousness parents are becoming aware that their children are falling behind home schooled students. If these parents cannot force Common Core out of their schools, they are finding there are other ways to educate their children and home schooling is one of them.​

Yes, results are amazing when the people teaching children to read and write can actually read and write themselves.

Nothing, nothing at all. People will educate themselves given the opportunity. It happens every day. Make schools voluntary.

Remember Dorothy Parker. You can take a whore to culture, but you can't make her think.

Is making school voluntary workable if you want to keep an educated voting citizenry? What do we do with those kids whose parents don't send their kids to school?

Nothing. It's not our day to watch them. Seriously, how many parents do not want their children to learn? Your thinking reflects the elitist attitude of liberals everywhere.

Besides, you're taking for granted that we have a citizenry equipped to make intelligent voting decisions. We don't.

You think all people with children think like you. That is not the case. Children not in school are problem children. I hope you wouldn't mind having your house broken into while you are at work.

Smart parents are starting to realize just how bad the public schools really are:

Do you know there are 10 and 12- year-old students already attending college classes in America? It is happening every day as parents flee the public schools and instead educate their children at home.

All across the U.S. home schooled children continue to surpass children subjected to the dumbing-down process that is offered by public education. The results are by the time home schooled students are in the 8th grade, they are four years ahead of their public/private school counterparts.

Parents who are aware of Common Core curriculum (one size fits all) that was created by the Obama administration are leaving the public school system by the hundreds of thousands and if a charter school is not available are turning to home schooling.

The statistics about how far ahead home school children are may be ignored by some school boards however consciousness parents are becoming aware that their children are falling behind home schooled students. If these parents cannot force Common Core out of their schools, they are finding there are other ways to educate their children and home schooling is one of them.​

Yes, results are amazing when the people teaching children to read and write can actually read and write themselves.

One of the Middle Schools in our town is in the high apartment density area of town. The parents of students there have an 80% illiteracy rate and in most cases, both parents work at least 1 job, sometimes 2. Is homeschooling an option for them?

You think all people with children think like you. That is not the case. Children not in school are problem children. I hope you wouldn't mind having your house broken into while you are at work.
Do you realize you've equated schools to concentration camps? "Concentration", I mean in a literal sense.

Last edited:

You are proving that the #1 reason for success in education is engaged parents. Now....what do you plan to do about the 75% + parents who can't or won't educate, or even participate in the education of their own children?

That's actually a good question. Yet we cannot force such parents to engage if they won't. Any suggestions?

Public Education started for the children of people who could not afford tutors or private school. It has always been the "fall back" form of education. Most families, for a variety of reasons, use that "fall back" now. Why do people expect the "fall back" position to lead in excellence?

Wouldn't it be great if everyone earned enough money to be able to home school their kids?

Forum List

Back