Home schooled children outpacing public school students

I think parents who send a 10 or 12 year old kid to college should be shot

Yeah how dare they let their kids excel.

Life is not a race to see who gets out of the gate the fastest.

Your opinion. If a kid can get a head start and thus have a more productive life and then more freedom as an adult what's wrong with that?

IMO it's better than plodding along with the flock and then working at a job until you're 70 so then you can start living.

If you want to homeschool your kid, homeschool him on college material. What do you do with a 16 year old who has finished college? Send him out into the workforce?

Why not?

A 10 or 12 year old who has never been out of the house on his own is not socially prepared to attend classes with 18-19 year olds

You have no proof that the kids are never let out of the house.

People are always threatened when others move out of the pack and they usually want to hold those who would excel back.

It happened to me my mother thought like you and even though I was bored to death in school and for 4 years in a row she was asked if I could skip a grade or two she said no.

She would rather I be bored than excel.

Typical sheep.

Its a shame that so many of them are so sadly crippled socially and emotionally. I haven't known hundreds and hundreds of the but the ones I've known were unable to function in a group out in society.

As for the quality of the education, its stupid and typically rw to asssume all homeschooling is better than all brick and mortar schooling.

This may well be the favorite fad of the radical rw's but seriously, how many of these holy roller bible thumping creationist evangelists will find a group of worshipers to support them through life?

Its a shame that so many of them are so sadly crippled socially and emotionally. I haven't known hundreds and hundreds of the but the ones I've known were unable to function in a group out in society.

Yeah those public school kids are rude and feel entitled not to mention they're dumb as dirt without an ounce of common sense.

See my sig quote my Milgram.

Smart parents are starting to realize just how bad the public schools really are:

Do you know there are 10 and 12- year-old students already attending college classes in America? It is happening every day as parents flee the public schools and instead educate their children at home.

All across the U.S. home schooled children continue to surpass children subjected to the dumbing-down process that is offered by public education. The results are by the time home schooled students are in the 8th grade, they are four years ahead of their public/private school counterparts.

Parents who are aware of Common Core curriculum (one size fits all) that was created by the Obama administration are leaving the public school system by the hundreds of thousands and if a charter school is not available are turning to home schooling.

The statistics about how far ahead home school children are may be ignored by some school boards however consciousness parents are becoming aware that their children are falling behind home schooled students. If these parents cannot force Common Core out of their schools, they are finding there are other ways to educate their children and home schooling is one of them.​

When you adjust the demographic/socio-economic variables to achieve apples to apples comparisons,

homeschooling doesn't do better than public schooling.

Smart parents are starting to realize just how bad the public schools really are:

Do you know there are 10 and 12- year-old students already attending college classes in America? It is happening every day as parents flee the public schools and instead educate their children at home.

All across the U.S. home schooled children continue to surpass children subjected to the dumbing-down process that is offered by public education. The results are by the time home schooled students are in the 8th grade, they are four years ahead of their public/private school counterparts.

Parents who are aware of Common Core curriculum (one size fits all) that was created by the Obama administration are leaving the public school system by the hundreds of thousands and if a charter school is not available are turning to home schooling.

The statistics about how far ahead home school children are may be ignored by some school boards however consciousness parents are becoming aware that their children are falling behind home schooled students. If these parents cannot force Common Core out of their schools, they are finding there are other ways to educate their children and home schooling is one of them.​

When you adjust the demographic/socio-economic variables to achieve apples to apples comparisons,

That's the same argument that goose-steppers like you use against vouchers. Home schoolers are typically acquiring their high school diplomas by the age of 12. Anyone who thinks public schools achieve anywhere near those kind of results is simply a dishonest troll.

The bottom line: Public schools suck. They always will suck. They can't be reformed. They need to be abolished.

That's the same argument that goose-steppers like you use against vouchers. Home schoolers are typically acquiring their high school diplomas by the age of 12. Anyone who thinks public schools achieve anywhere near those kind of results is simply a dishonest troll.

The bottom line: Public schools suck. They always will suck. They can't be reformed. They need to be abolished.

Prove that most homeschooled kids graduate high school at 12 years old.

Rightwingers like the idea of homeschooling because they know that the rightwing ideology is too whacked to compete in an open arena of ideas,

therefore,

the best alternative is to isolate children in an ideological concentration camp where the right's crackpot propaganda can be infused without outside interference...

...from reason, logic, and truth.

Abuse and Neglect in Homeschooling Families

There are homeschooled children who are physically abused through excessively harsh corporal punishment and homeschooled children who are not well educated, if they are educated at all, because their parents believe godliness is more important than book learning.

Homeschooled Kids, Now Grown

These days King, 22, has a hard time stepping into a church without having a panic attack. She escaped—her word—from her family in Georgia on her 18th birthday and lives in Maine with her husband, also a former homeschooler. Very little is left of the ideology her parents worked so furiously to instill in her. She’s ashamed of the work she did as a leader in various homeschooling youth organizations, which, she writes, “contributed to the amount of hurt I and many others who grew up in this radical/evangelical/conservative/christian subculture endured and continue to endure.”

Barely Literate? How Christian Fundamentalist Homeschooling Hurts Kids

Christian fundamentalists are driving our country into the Dark Ages

America has an infection. Whether it is terminal remains to be seen. The infection is that of anti-intellectualism, a steadfast refusal to acknowledge that one’s worldview is mutable, a worldview in which facts are only facts if they fit that worldview, and that anyone who disagrees with a Christian fundamentalist worldview is an “enemy” of God. The infection has taken hold in conservative politics, where it has spread to a significant portion of the American population, and even into a significant amount of the Canadian population.

It depends on who is teaching and what they are teaching.

Nothing is a 100% you freak! Of course there are going to be people that slip through the cracks. However, I guarantee that more home schools make it and have a great education then kids in the inner city. Heck in Chicago the drop out rate is over 50%! Many kids make it to their senior year of highschoo without being able to read.

I wouldn't home school my kids, but I wouldn't create a false impression of it, like a partisan mental midget like you!

Another ignorant rightist who doesn’t get it.

The issue isn’t the merits of ‘home schooling,’ the issue is that ‘home schooling’ is not an option for millions of working American families headed by a single parent or where both parents are compelled to work.

Now, if you want the government to replace the income of one parent so that parent can stay at home and ‘school’ his/her child(ren), fine, we’ll do away with public schools and have everyone ‘home school.’

Otherwise, the premise of your thread is pointless.

I think you miss the point. Why do parents feel compelled to home school? Because public schools do a piss poor job of educating kids. Parents who care have given up demanding an education and resort to educating their children themselves. They are responsible parents and do for theirs what government has failed to do. There are loads of parents who could give a shit what happens to their offspring and are perfectly happy being rid of the darlings while they are indoctrinated at the local public cesspit school. Even poor parents who cared could raise a fuss for better schools, but they don't. Why is that, do you think?

There is no failure in the public school system. The failure is in our parental system. Kids who have parents who care thrive in our public schools. Kids who have parents who don't give a shit do poorly. It really is that simple.

I think parents who send a 10 or 12 year old kid to college should be shot

Yeah how dare they let their kids excel.

Life is not a race to see who gets out of the gate the fastest. If you want to homeschool your kid, homeschool him on college material. What do you do with a 16 year old who has finished college? Send him out into the workforce?

A 10 or 12 year old who has never been out of the house on his own is not socially prepared to attend classes with 18-19 year olds

I agree with you to a certain point. We do tend to hold smart kids back a bit though, unless of course they are a true prodigy. Then we do allow 12 year old kids to attend college and they usually do quite well, but in those cases, those types of kids are more mature and tend to have trouble relating to kids their own age anyway.

Rightwingers like the idea of homeschooling because they know that the rightwing ideology is too whacked to compete in an open arena of ideas,

therefore,

the best alternative is to isolate children in an ideological concentration camp where the right's crackpot propaganda can be infused without outside interference...

:eusa_eh:

So, there are no "Leftwingers" that homeschool?

You are proving that the #1 reason for success in education is engaged parents. Now....what do you plan to do about the 75% + parents who can't or won't educate, or even participate in the education of their own children?

That's actually a good question. Yet we cannot force such parents to engage if they won't. Any suggestions?

You are proving that the #1 reason for success in education is engaged parents. Now....what do you plan to do about the 75% + parents who can't or won't educate, or even participate in the education of their own children?

That's actually a good question. Yet we cannot force such parents to engage if they won't. Any suggestions?

Remove the kids from the homes: The state becomes the surrogut, and kids are warehoused until they can be turned out to the military.

Another ignorant rightist who doesn’t get it.

The issue isn’t the merits of ‘home schooling,’ the issue is that ‘home schooling’ is not an option for millions of working American families headed by a single parent or where both parents are compelled to work.

Now, if you want the government to replace the income of one parent so that parent can stay at home and ‘school’ his/her child(ren), fine, we’ll do away with public schools and have everyone ‘home school.’

Otherwise, the premise of your thread is pointless.

I think you miss the point. Why do parents feel compelled to home school? Because public schools do a piss poor job of educating kids. Parents who care have given up demanding an education and resort to educating their children themselves. They are responsible parents and do for theirs what government has failed to do. There are loads of parents who could give a shit what happens to their offspring and are perfectly happy being rid of the darlings while they are indoctrinated at the local public cesspit school. Even poor parents who cared could raise a fuss for better schools, but they don't. Why is that, do you think?

There is no failure in the public school system. The failure is in our parental system. Kids who have parents who care thrive in our public schools. Kids who have parents who don't give a shit do poorly. It really is that simple.

I can tell you why I chose to home school. My work schedule allowed me ample opportunity to visit my daughter's classes. In every class except one, the rude, disruptive, unruly students took up pretty much all of the teacher's time, and the aide's time, if there was one. The other students were left to teach themselves as best they could. The charming folks in charge of the school wanted to append the label "learning disabled" onto my daughter because she was so bored she had checked out of class participation. She wasn't the only child in that situation, either.
Public schools are "broken" in that (my personal observation) they are forced to teach to the lowest common denominators. Additionally, children who are interested in learning are often punished for "showing up" their, (and I use this term loosely), peers.
I do agree that parental engagement plays a huge role in how well educated, how well a child learns. But when all those disengaged parents' misbegotten spawn start costing my daughter's well-being, I am one engaged parent who will make the sacrifices needed to teach her at home.

therefore,

No, left wingers try to inundate children into their half-baked communal ideology and cry like broken-heated prom dates when they are not given the opportunity.

So,

would a homeschooled kid be smart enough to know that this thread belonged in the education forum?

They'd be smart enough to understand the political ramifications in the thread instead of blindly following a narrow taxonomy.

Forum List

Back