Home schooled children outpacing public school students

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bripat9643, Sep 11, 2013.

1. bripat9643

bripat9643 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,239
    Smart parents are starting to realize just how bad the public schools really are:

Home schooled children outpacing public school students

Do you know there are 10 and 12- year-old students already attending college classes in America? It is happening every day as parents flee the public schools and instead educate their children at home.

All across the U.S. home schooled children continue to surpass children subjected to the dumbing-down process that is offered by public education. The results are by the time home schooled students are in the 8th grade, they are four years ahead of their public/private school counterparts.

Parents who are aware of Common Core curriculum (one size fits all) that was created by the Obama administration are leaving the public school system by the hundreds of thousands and if a charter school is not available are turning to home schooling.

The statistics about how far ahead home school children are may be ignored by some school boards however consciousness parents are becoming aware that their children are falling behind home schooled students. If these parents cannot force Common Core out of their schools, they are finding there are other ways to educate their children and home schooling is one of them.​

2. Crackerjaxon

Crackerjaxon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I don't think having a common core of knowledge and skills is necessarily a bad thing. The problem seems to be that the standards are too low. I home schooled my kids and they are doing just fine, thank you.

I like the British system of tests that determine skill levels. I believe the real cause for test anxiety is unpreparedness. I've been looking at the Ron Paul home school curriculum. It looks like a humdinger.

3. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,663
    I have no doubt home-schooling is the best method of teaching. First, they get one-on-one attention. Second, they can't space out. Third, they spend much longer on their tasks then at a public school. Lastly, their "teacher" know exactly what they are no understanding.

HOWEVER, home school at first might sound awesome, but where do they learn their social aspect? They lose that with home-school. Not to mention their is a fun aspect to socializing at school. I guarantee home school kids are social awkward when they get semi-on their own at college!

4. Vox

Vox Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +866
    Homeschooling is THE BEST you can do for your children.

at least in the elementary and middle school - those are the most important and the hardest.

Kids can go to a good public high school when they are already prepared and know how to learn and what iis important.

5. bayoubill

bayoubill aka Sheik Yerbouti... Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926
    nothing new here... parents have, for decades, known that the public school system sucked... which is why my then-wife and I, along with a half-dozen other couples, started our own school for our children more'n 30 years ago...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Moonglow

Moonglow Gold Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,817
    Self paced is much better than group paced education.

7. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,508
    Abuse and Neglect in Homeschooling Families

There are homeschooled children who are physically abused through excessively harsh corporal punishment and homeschooled children who are not well educated, if they are educated at all, because their parents believe godliness is more important than book learning.

Homeschooled Kids, Now Grown

These days King, 22, has a hard time stepping into a church without having a panic attack. She escaped—her word—from her family in Georgia on her 18th birthday and lives in Maine with her husband, also a former homeschooler. Very little is left of the ideology her parents worked so furiously to instill in her. She’s ashamed of the work she did as a leader in various homeschooling youth organizations, which, she writes, “contributed to the amount of hurt I and many others who grew up in this radical/evangelical/conservative/christian subculture endured and continue to endure.”

Barely Literate? How Christian Fundamentalist Homeschooling Hurts Kids

Christian fundamentalists are driving our country into the Dark Ages

America has an infection. Whether it is terminal remains to be seen. The infection is that of anti-intellectualism, a steadfast refusal to acknowledge that one’s worldview is mutable, a worldview in which facts are only facts if they fit that worldview, and that anyone who disagrees with a Christian fundamentalist worldview is an “enemy” of God. The infection has taken hold in conservative politics, where it has spread to a significant portion of the American population, and even into a significant amount of the Canadian population.

It depends on who is teaching and what they are teaching.

8. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,616
    This page can't be displayed

Link did not work.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Crackerjaxon

Crackerjaxon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +267

...and, of course, you know what they should be teaching. After all, you're a liberal.

10. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,555
    Why not promote something that works?