Home schooled children outpacing public school students

To answer a question -

remove union controls and force teachers to take qualification exams for the subjects they teach. If they fail, require them to take a leave of absence to return to school to become eligible - or, fire 'em!

If teachers have to be answerable for their actions, they will do what they can to actually TEACH their students.

Not all states permit teachers' unions to collectively bargain.

To my knowledge, teachers do take qualification exams (secondary teachers take exams by subject). I'm not certain this is true in every state.

North Carolina does not allow unions and they have some of the worst schools in the country. Go figure.

Abuse and Neglect in Homeschooling Families

There are homeschooled children who are physically abused through excessively harsh corporal punishment and homeschooled children who are not well educated, if they are educated at all, because their parents believe godliness is more important than book learning.

Homeschooled Kids, Now Grown

These days King, 22, has a hard time stepping into a church without having a panic attack. She escaped—her word—from her family in Georgia on her 18th birthday and lives in Maine with her husband, also a former homeschooler. Very little is left of the ideology her parents worked so furiously to instill in her. She’s ashamed of the work she did as a leader in various homeschooling youth organizations, which, she writes, “contributed to the amount of hurt I and many others who grew up in this radical/evangelical/conservative/christian subculture endured and continue to endure.”

Barely Literate? How Christian Fundamentalist Homeschooling Hurts Kids

Christian fundamentalists are driving our country into the Dark Ages

America has an infection. Whether it is terminal remains to be seen. The infection is that of anti-intellectualism, a steadfast refusal to acknowledge that one’s worldview is mutable, a worldview in which facts are only facts if they fit that worldview, and that anyone who disagrees with a Christian fundamentalist worldview is an “enemy” of God. The infection has taken hold in conservative politics, where it has spread to a significant portion of the American population, and even into a significant amount of the Canadian population.

It depends on who is teaching and what they are teaching.

...and, of course, you know what they should be teaching. After all, you're a liberal.

I know what they shouldn't be teaching. Don't you?

To answer a question -

remove union controls and force teachers to take qualification exams for the subjects they teach. If they fail, require them to take a leave of absence to return to school to become eligible - or, fire 'em!

If teachers have to be answerable for their actions, they will do what they can to actually TEACH their students.

To my knowledge, teachers do take qualification exams (secondary teachers take exams by subject). I'm not certain this is true in every state.

North Carolina does not allow unions and they have some of the worst schools in the country. Go figure.

LOL. Look at California and Wisconsin, unions run amok there, they would rather get paid than teach children. No wonder our nation's intelligence as a whole is going down the shithole.

LOL. Look at California and Wisconsin, unions run amok there, they would rather get paid than teach children. No wonder our nation's intelligence as a whole is going down the shithole.

They still do better than just about any Red State. Odd that.

It's kind of like Republicans going on about how they are helping blacks by insulting them when we know they hate blacks.

To answer a question -

Worst schools? Says who? Prove it..
And don't come back with any bullshit about test scores.
BTW, anyone in NC can be a member of a labor collective. Public employees as well. However, the NC Constitution prohibits Public Employees from collectively bargaining.
In fact if you want to go down the road of public school teacher salaries and per pupil spending, I can cite tons of examples where the two are mutually exclusive to graduation rates and student achievement.

And what about the MAJORITY of parents who cannot afford private school or cannot stay home for homeschooling...or can't homeschool because they, themselves are uneducated?

Then they were not prepared to become parents. At best, they are no more than donors of protoplasm that evolves into more of the same type of creatures, ignorant but useful idiots making important decisions as they are directed by those they believe will feed and care for them...for 'free'.

Wow, so in order to pro create you need to have enough money for Private School? Sterilize the poor!

Then complain about Big Govt intruding on your personal lives lol.

Repubs create their own mud then wallow in it while complaining the whole time

No, you left wing knee jerk reactionary nudnik....Those considering parenthood should be financially prepared to raise a child. To be fully prepared and fully responsible for the outcome of their actions.
In find it astonishing how you libs will weep for the less fortunate but are not willing to take a personal stake in your so called compassion. Your first reaction is to make the situation some one else's problem. Through taxation.

And what about the MAJORITY of parents who cannot afford private school or cannot stay home for homeschooling...or can't homeschool because they, themselves are uneducated?

What about them?

Are you responding to the possibility of eliminating traditional public school and replacing it with homeschool? If so, the fantacy seems a bit far fetched: Given the choice, relatively few students are homeschooled.

This also raises the point: Why such a hysterical responce given the very small proportion of homeschooled kids? Could Public schools supporters be so concerned that homeschooling could snow-ball into a rapidly increasing choice as to actually threaten the existance of traditional schools? If so, then why so insecure?

Of course you have an example of this and not just making it up, right?

Just answer the question....

And there is the typical lib whine.
"But what about"....Who fucking cares.
You slackers think everyone should be the same. Outcomes should be equal regardless of any differing factors.
Public schools aren't going anywhere.
The captive market aspect should be eliminated. Only those who use the public system should pay. Instead of taxation to fund schools there should be user fees.

So...you don't care about the consequences of more bored kids on the streets...of a larger chunk of our young people being uneducated?

You are so programmed.
Let me get this correct. But for the existence of public schools, children would be 'running the streets'?
To ask in another way, your idea is that in the absence of public schools, there is no parental supervision of their children?
Can you agree then that you believe public schools are simply places where children are simply in day care?

Maybe is more teachers opt out of unions - as in another thread I'm posting - it will improve the quality of education and home schooling won't be necessary.:eusa_whistle:

How would that help? Be specific.

Simple...Unions drum into their members heads that THEY are the only thing that is important. Teachers that are members of unions care only for job security.
Why is it you think teachers unions and unionized teachers vehemently oppose Charter Schools and vouchers?
The reason is simple. Teachers and their unions fear the loss of union jobs. That is why.
Oh, they will protest that it's all about the children. That Charter Schools cannot offer the same educational opportunities as public schools. Well, they are right in one respect. Charter Schools actually don't offer the 'same' opportunities. Charter Schools offer a BETTER educational opportunity.
And their battle against vouchers? They rail away screaming "separation of church and state"..Bullshit. The teachers only fear is that with fewer students and fewer tax dollars going to the public system, that means fewer union teacher's jobs.

It's kind of like Republicans going on about how they are helping blacks by insulting them when we know they hate blacks.

No they don't, dipstick. California is at the bottom of the heap when it comes to school performance.

No one hates blacks.
Vile savage criminals like you, that's who good humans hate, you savage animal.

I refuse to respond to rdean's incendiary vile made up bullshit. I just read it, let out a chuckle and move on.
Rdeans entire mantra is based on the irrational belief that every Caucasian is a hood wearing member of a hate group and that under every bed there is a lurking racist.
A bigger pile of shit I have yet to see on this board. Except maybe for that racist prick cock sucker, poet.

To answer a question -

You just make things up as you go along, don't you? California is ranked 44 by the ECF. North Carolina is slightly above the middle in terms of performance on the NAEP (National Assessment of Educational Progress). Wisconsin is ranked about 4 slots below North Carolina.

http://www.education-consumers.org/ECF_NAEPStateChart.pdf

Do liberals give a damn about truth or integrity?

Last edited:
To answer a question -

Maybe they should have as many private schools as California, or New York or Massachusetts, which allow teachers to collectively bargain:

Oh, and while we're on the subject of public schools...

...why is it that most of the best states for public education are liberal?

why do notoriously blue states like Massachusetts, and my own New York always rank near the top of state by state school ratings?

We know why.

Because they have so many private schools?

Private Schools by State - A List of Private Schools in U.S. States

Alabama (43)
Alaska (11)
Arizona (68)
Arkansas (14)
California (522)
Colorado (20)
Connecticut (205)
Delaware (27)
Florida (217)
Georgia (136)
Hawaii (22)
Idaho (5)
Illinois (147)
Indiana (22)
Iowa (13)
Kansas (11)
Kentucky (19)
Louisiana (23)
Maine (17)
Maryland (128)
Massachusetts (220)
Michigan (36)
Minnesota (50)
Mississippi (20)
Missouri (27)
Montana (5)
Nebraska (19)
Nevada (12)
New Hampshire (21)
New Jersey (56)
New Mexico (7)
New York (402)
North Carolina (91)
North Dakota (5)
Ohio (44)
Oklahoma (19)
Oregon (23)
Pennsylvania (258)
Puerto Rico and the USVI (6)
Rhode Island (14)
South Carolina (25)
South Dakota (6)
Tennessee (57)
Texas (137)
Utah (22)
Vermont (25)
Virginia (95)
Washington (90)
Washington, DC (30)
West Virginia (8)
Wisconsin (38)
Wyoming (5)

Its a wonder with all the great education you claim exists in these "blue states" with unions allowed to collectively bargain for teacher benefits, private schools would exist at all: Go figure.

To answer a question -

Well, it certainly is true here in the Clark County School District in Nevada - only 48-52% of middle grade teachers are qualified to teach their subjects! Those that can't stay on because of union contracts.

To answer a question -

Well, it certainly is true here in the Clark County School District in Nevada - only 48-52% of middle grade teachers are qualified to teach their subjects! Those that can't stay on because of union contracts.

Then the question is: Why is the district hiring unqualified teachers?

You just make things up as you go along, don't you? California is ranked 44 by the ECF. North Carolina is slightly above the middle in terms of performance on the NAEP (National Assessment of Educational Progress). Wisconsin is ranked about 4 slots below North Carolina.

http://www.education-consumers.org/ECF_NAEPStateChart.pdf

Do liberals give a damn about truth or integrity?

Of course they do, truth and integrity scare the living shit out of liberals/progressives.

Forum List

Back