Hmmm...I thought churches didn't have to worry about performing gay marriages...what about this...

1. show me where in the constitution that your freedom of religion goes away based on tax status. .

Article 1 Section 8

2. Why should they accomodate others when others have a problem with them?

Because they could be jailed/fined/shutdown if they do not.

3. It's not your call, and neither is it the governments

It isn't YOUR call, it is the government's call. The cops and jailors work for them and take their orders from them, not you.

4. Bad laws are bad laws, and should be fought.

Yes, something often said by those who are not going to be the ones paying the price for doing so.

So both extremes are being silly here.

Congrats to the pastors for making the payment for pastor services gratuitous.

Of course, if the wedding chapel is a business, the gays can demand the owners to provide a pastor who will marry them.
No they can't. It would be like renting any other wedding venue. Find your own. Like you can't rent a hall then demand that you be provided catering and a dj.

Of course, if the wedding chapel is a business, the gays can demand the owners to provide a pastor who will marry them.
No they can't. It would be like renting any other wedding venue. Find your own. Like you can't rent a hall then demand that you be provided catering and a dj.
their wedding packages include the minister. it is a service they provide to the public in exchange for money.

That makes you a quitter.
it makes me a resident of reality. try it some time.

Fuck off.

I guess having an opinion oppposite what a court says is something "bad" according to you. again. Fuck off.
didn't say that. pretending that opinion is anything other than an opinion isn't dealing with reality. you may believe that the government can't make public accomodation laws, or that the laws don't apply to these scenarios. the courts disagree. the courts are the arbiters of these decisions, not you or me. that means that our opinions on it and a nickel are worth $0.05.

So whats your fucking point? The courts have been overstepping their bounds for decades, and we just let it happen.

Again, a point, have one. All you are doing is arguing semantics and implying just what you say you are not implying.

It has nothing to do with reality, or a lack of reality thereof.
the point is that while you might disagree with it, the reality is that discrimination like the 'pastors' did is against the law. that law is backed up by case law. you can disagree with that, but that doesn't matter because as far as the law is concerned the matter is settled.
Oh you mean case law like the Hobby Lobby case.

Marty is as goofy on public accomodation law as bigreb and protectionist are on gun rights, shootseepeders and matthew and cultsmasher on race and society, and politicalchic on life in general.

The are far outliers, and what they chant does not matter in the real world of America.

Serious question....

Who in their right mind would want to force someone who clearly despises them to officiate over what is supposed to be the highlight of their life?

It just smacks of sheer stupidity & selfishness

their wedding packages include the minister. it is a service they provide to the public in exchange for money.
If you think the wedding package includes the minister read the ad again. It doesn't. Practically speaking it can't. It would also have to include a rabbi, an imam and Wiccan Priestess just to name a few. The minister is suggested. It is also clear that the minister is unpaid. Neither an employee nor independent contractor.

Gays will get the premises but have no action against the minister. He is protected by the first amendment, the Religious Freedom Restoration Act and case law particularly out of the Hobby Lobby case.

Marty is as goofy on public accomodation law as bigreb and protectionist are on gun rights, shootseepeders and matthew and cultsmasher on race and society, and politicalchic on life in general.

The are far outliers, and what they chant does not matter in the real world of America.
He can't help it, he wears short skirts.

it makes me a resident of reality. try it some time.

Fuck off.

I guess having an opinion oppposite what a court says is something "bad" according to you. again. Fuck off.
didn't say that. pretending that opinion is anything other than an opinion isn't dealing with reality. you may believe that the government can't make public accomodation laws, or that the laws don't apply to these scenarios. the courts disagree. the courts are the arbiters of these decisions, not you or me. that means that our opinions on it and a nickel are worth $0.05.

So whats your fucking point? The courts have been overstepping their bounds for decades, and we just let it happen.

Again, a point, have one. All you are doing is arguing semantics and implying just what you say you are not implying.

It has nothing to do with reality, or a lack of reality thereof.
the point is that while you might disagree with it, the reality is that discrimination like the 'pastors' did is against the law. that law is backed up by case law. you can disagree with that, but that doesn't matter because as far as the law is concerned the matter is settled.
Oh you mean case law like the Hobby Lobby case.
that didn't involve public accommodation, nor did it involve discriminating against employee or customer. not exactly the same thing.

Serious question....

Who in their right mind would want to force someone who clearly despises them to officiate over what is supposed to be the highlight of their life?

Absolutely, but I find using Jesus for a for profit business even stupider and more selfish.

Serious question....

hey, if i had fought for a long time to gain a right and when i did bigots out there were still trying to prevent the exercise of that right I'd probably take a little pleasure in making them have a part in my celebration.

Serious question....

hey, if i had fought for a long time to gain a right and when i did bigots out there were still trying to prevent the exercise of that right I'd probably take a little pleasure in making them have a part in my celebration.
AKA shoving it in their face.

Just what we've contended all along about you freaks.

If you think the wedding package includes the minister read the ad again. It doesn't. Practically speaking it can't. It would also have to include a rabbi, an imam and Wiccan Priestess just to name a few. The minister is suggested. It is also clear that the minister is unpaid. Neither an employee nor independent contractor.

Gays will get the premises but have no action against the minister. He is protected by the first amendment, the Religious Freedom Restoration Act and case law particularly out of the Hobby Lobby case.
can't access their page right now, but the first thing listed on all their wedding packages was 'minister.' seriously.
i'll admit that the hobby lobby case does make things more interesting, but i still think that public accommodation laws will hold up to it.

Serious question....

AKA shoving it in their face.

Just what we've contended all along about you freaks.
what freaks? i was married 4 years ago in a catholic church.

but yes, i'd want to rub some faces in it. i would be spiteful as all hell. and it would be glorious.

Sounds like another rightwing load of bullshit

Someone let me know what the REAL story is

The real story was covered, at length, in previous threads on this stupidity.

They are NOT "ministers", they're business men, running a for-profit business.

They broke the law. It has nothing at all to do with being "liberal" except that RWs are in favor of breaking equality laws.

If they did not charge for their services, then there is a violation of the government intruding on their religion.

Since they do charge, then they are subject to different laws.

The last thing is, that I would not go to a minister and ask them to preform a wedding for me, if his beliefs were not in align with mine. The homosexuals are being petty.
The wedding chapel charges for renting the premises. The minister does not charge for his services. A gratuity is suggested. Gays are going to lose this one.

If that is the case, then they would win. The part that is unclear is it is a for profit business.

Forum List

Back