Hmmm...I thought churches didn't have to worry about performing gay marriages...what about this...

City threatens to arrest ministers who refuse to perform same-sex weddings Fox News

I'm no true believer but this is complete bullshit & goes against our founding principles.
Nero reborn! I wonder when the Libs will start crucifying Christians upside down and/or tossing them to the lions. Thought we had "evolved" past such barbaric persecution.

Is that you Captain Hyperbole?

Just thought I'd try speaking in a language that you speak fluently. First time I've ever gotten through to you.

Sounds like another rightwing load of bullshit

Someone let me know what the REAL story is

Too late for denial. Our usual same sex fascists already have responded to a thread on this, and go with the usual "submit or be punished" line of logic.
no they didnt...

Yes, they did

Hmmm...I thought churches didn t have to worry about performing gay marriages...what about this... Page 9 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

A lezbo mayor thought she could subpoena sermons too. The left thought she could. She couldn't. Gays don't yet really control the world and everything in it.

1. They run a for-profit business so that business doesn't get exemption;

2. They are in Idaho so they are looking for attention or else they could pay a couple hundred bucks, start a non-profit business, and gift their property to the church. instead they sued for something they have not been prosecuted for.

3. you would have a hard time convincing me that the "hitching post" is a religious enterprise

4. While I generally oppose public accommodation laws, they do exist and this place is subject to them like Walmart

1. show me where in the constitution that your freedom of religion goes away based on tax status.

2. Why should they accomodate others when others have a problem with them?

3. It's not your call, and neither is it the governments

4. Bad laws are bad laws, and should be fought.

Too late for denial. Our usual same sex fascists already have responded to a thread on this, and go with the usual "submit or be punished" line of logic.
Is that the one where it turned out to not be a church but a for profit business?

How does ones tax status affect ones position as a minister? I forgot the part of the 1st amendment that states that....

Oh....I forgot

Corporations are now people

No, people are people.

They are still ordained ministers and cannot be compelled to act against their morals.

So if they claim as 'ordained ministers' that their moral beliefs state that they cannot pay income taxes- they can't be compelled to pay income taxes?

Taxes and forcing some to perform a wedding by government fiat are two different things.

The claim was made:

They are still ordained ministers and cannot be compelled to act against their morals.

My question stands- can they be compelled to pay income taxes if they claim it would be against their morals?

The issue is exactly the same. Can anyone who claims to be a religious professional be forced by government to do anything that he or she claims is against his or her religious teachings?

For instance- can the government force a Seventh Day Adventist minister to allow blood transfusions to their children?

Tax paying is a required part of society, the burden placed on not being able to religiously pay taxes has to be extremely high, and considering most religions are 100% OK with it, this is a strawman and a non-issue.

The children/blood transfusion issue is more about the power of the government to be a guardian over parents of a minor, again, not relevant.

What we have here is government force on ordained ministers, in a non essential, easy to get elsewhere service.

As an edit, its Jehovah's Witnesses that refuse blood transfusions, not Seventh Day Adventists.

My apologies to Seventh Day Adventists.

The issue is not whether or not 'most' religions are comfortable with paying taxes- I go back to the same initial claim:

What I think you are saying is that yes- ordained ministers can be compelled to act against what they claim to be their morals- but it depends on what the government demands that they do.

They have two options:
a) they can try to change State law or
b) they can go to court to try to change the law- which is of course what gay couples have done to overturn state laws against same gender marriage.

I am fine if they want to pursue either course. But at the moment- as business people- they have broken state law.

Hiding behind the "law is the law" is a cowardly way to avoid debating the issues behind the law, nothing more.

The difference is there is a explicit restriction on governments interfering in the practice of religion, there is no explicit restriction of state legislatures defining a marriage contract as they see fit.

Show me a religion that has a specific thing against paying taxes.

PA laws came into being in the 1960s. AAAAHHHH tyranny! :lol:
But only recently have been used to force homosexual acceptance onto business owners. Did the law change or did the political agenda change? The fact that you think starting a business is a privilege granted by the state is the root of the difference. We are not subjects of the state. At least not yet.

Yes the laws in SOME states also protect gays the same way blacks and Christians are protected in ALL 50. Get rid of all or quit sniveling because in some places they also protect gays.

PA laws came into being in the 1960s. AAAAHHHH tyranny! :lol:
But only recently have been used to force homosexual acceptance onto business owners. Did the law change or did the political agenda change? The fact that you think starting a business is a privilege granted by the state is the root of the difference. We are not subjects of the state. At least not yet.

Yes the laws in SOME states also protect gays the same way blacks and Christians are protected in ALL 50. Get rid of all or quit sniveling because in some places they also protect gays.

Sounds good to me

no they didnt...

Yes, they did

Hmmm...I thought churches didn t have to worry about performing gay marriages...what about this... Page 9 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
no they didnt....This isnt a church.....Deal with it...we have laws for a reason

no they didnt...

Yes, they did

no they didnt....This isnt a church.....Deal with it...we have laws for a reason

Again, you are concentrating on the building, not the people, who are ordained ministers. And yes, their position is submit or be punished.

Do you enjoy being a lying hacky twat?

The real story was covered, at length, in previous threads on this stupidity.

They are NOT "ministers", they're business men, running a for-profit business.

They broke the law. It has nothing at all to do with being "liberal" except that RWs are in favor of breaking equality laws.

If they did not charge for their services, then there is a violation of the government intruding on their religion.

Since they do charge, then they are subject to different laws.

The last thing is, that I would not go to a minister and ask them to preform a wedding for me, if his beliefs were not in align with mine. The homosexuals are being petty.
The wedding chapel charges for renting the premises. The minister does not charge for his services. A gratuity is suggested. Gays are going to lose this one.

The gratuity addendum may be the way to go for the husband and wife pastors.

So both extremes are being silly here.

Congrats to the pastors for making the payment for pastor services gratuitous.

Of course, if the wedding chapel is a business, the gays can demand the owners to provide a pastor who will marry them.

no they didnt...

Yes, they did

Again, you are concentrating on the building, not the people, who are ordained ministers. And yes, their position is submit or be punished.

the are also proprietors of a public business.

no they didnt...

Yes, they did

And again, where in the constitution does it say you lose your rights if a business is public?

The real story was covered, at length, in previous threads on this stupidity.

They are NOT "ministers", they're business men, running a for-profit business.

They broke the law. It has nothing at all to do with being "liberal" except that RWs are in favor of breaking equality laws.

If they did not charge for their services, then there is a violation of the government intruding on their religion.

Since they do charge, then they are subject to different laws.

The last thing is, that I would not go to a minister and ask them to preform a wedding for me, if his beliefs were not in align with mine. The homosexuals are being petty.
The wedding chapel charges for renting the premises. The minister does not charge for his services. A gratuity is suggested. Gays are going to lose this one.
that does not appear to be the case.
http://hitchingpostweddings.com/wedding/packages/
the packages include the minister.

So both extremes are being silly here.

Congrats to the pastors for making the payment for pastor services gratuitous.

Of course, if the wedding chapel is a business, the gays can demand the owners to provide a pastor who will marry them.

They should be told to go pound fucking sand, and you statists should be buried up to your eyeballs in said sand.

And again, where in the constitution does it say you lose your rights if a business is public?
you don't, but the commerce clause and the 14th amendment say that the government can make public accommodation laws.

Forum List

Back