Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
r

Photo source.

Understatement of the year:

Hillary Clinton All But Announces Her 2016 Campaign In Iowa

On Sunday, Hillary Clinton returned to Iowa for the first time since her 2008 presidential bid, lending fuel to speculative fire about her White House aspirations.

Appearing at outgoing Sen. Tom Harkin's (D-Iowa) annual steak fry fundraiser alongside her husband, former President Bill Clinton, the former secretary of state spoke to the crowd of about 5,000 Democratic activists in Indianola, Iowa.

"Hello, Iowa," Clinton began. "I'm back!"

She addressed 2016 speculation head on, teasing that she has "a few things on [her] mind" lately.

"Now when Tom Harkin called and asked me to come, I have to admit i wasn't sure what to say," she said. "I've got a few things on my mind these days. First, and most importantly, Bill and I are on constant grandchild watch. I'm calling Chelsea every 5 minutes to make sure things are going alright."

She continued, "There's that other thing. It is true I am thinking about it."

Here s How Iowa Democrats Reacted To Hillary Clinton s Steak Fry Appearance

Iowa Democrats gave a warm welcome to Hillary Rodham Clinton at retiring Sen. Tom Harkin's annual fundraiser. But not all party loyalists from the early-voting state were ready to hand her the 2016 presidential nomination just yet.

Bill and Hillary Clinton were the keynote speakers Sunday at the final Harkin Steak Fry on the hot-air balloon grounds outside Indianola, south of Des Moines. The event served as an emotional commemoration of Harkin's 40 years in Congress and a rallying cry for Democrats in the 2014 midterm elections.

Hillary Clinton has not been in Iowa since her 2008 caucus loss to now-President Barack Obama. Harkin dubbed the Clintons the "comeback couple," though he has not said if he would endorse Clinton if she runs, saying he wants her to make her decision first.

Clinton played coy on her 2016 plans, telling the crowd, "I am thinking about it." She concluded by saying, "It's really great to be back, let's not let another seven years go by."

Here are some reactions from Iowa Democrats:

With appearance in Iowa Clinton takes a big step toward 2016 Reuters

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton stoked speculation on Sunday that she was moving closer to announcing a bid for the White House in 2016 as she visited the early-voting state of Iowa to take part in the state's annual "steak fry," a gathering of Democratic activists that often attracts presidential hopefuls.

After grilling steaks with her husband, former President Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton delivered a populist speech to the crowd of more than 6,000 Democrats at a vast green field a few miles outside of Des Moines. She defended President Barack Obama's signature healthcare initiative known as Obamacare, pushed legislation on a minimum wage and lambasted Republicans as "guardians of gridlock."

Clinton focused much of her speech on promoting Iowa's Democratic candidates, including Senate hopeful Bruce Braley, who is vying in a closely watched race in the 2014 midterm elections on Nov. 4.

But she was coy as she parried questions about her intentions in 2016.

"Too many people only get excited about presidential campaigns," she said. "Look, I get excited about presidential campaigns."

“We’re just here to support Democrats,” Clinton added.

Still, 2016 was in the air, particularly when Iowa Senator Tom Harkin, the host of the steak fry, referred to Clinton and her husband as "the comeback couple" and said "there are many more chapters that will be written in the amazing life of Hillary Clinton."

It was a reference to the nickname "comeback kid" used by the media to describe Bill Clinton's rebound in his 1992 campaign from early setbacks.

In 2008, Hillary suffered an embarrassing defeat in the Iowa caucus, coming in third behind Barack Obama, who went on to win the presidency, and John Edwards.

Sunday was Clinton's first time back in the state since her defeat. "It's really great to be back," she said. "Let's not let another seven years go by."

Hillary Clinton Returns to Iowa for Senator Tom Harkin - NBC News

(video at the link)

The annual Harkin Steak Fry was more like a “Hillary Clinton for President” rally, with a crowd of thousands loudly cheering Clinton, wearing “Ready for Hillary” buttons and even posing for pictures with cardboard cutouts of Clinton.

Clinton’s appearance at this event was to honor Democratic U.S. Senator Tom Harkin, who is retiring. This was the 37th and final steak fry.

And neither the former first lady, nor her husband, who also spoke, directly indicated Hillary Clinton is going to run for president. Both spent much of their speeches praising Harkin and urging Democrats to vote for the party’s gubernatorial and U.S. Senate campaigns.

But it was clear that many in the crowd of more than 5,000, which included not just Iowans but also people from nearby Kansas and even Kentucky, expect Clinton to start a presidential campaign next year. And she didn’t mind dropping a few hints herself.

“Hello, Iowa, I’m back," she said at the start of her speech, an unsubtle reminder that she had not visited the state since her third place finish in the Iowa caucuses.

“I’ve got a few things on my mind these days,” she said, as the crowd cheered, adding that she would leave the stage immediately if her pregnant daughter, Chelsea, went into labor. (Chelsea Clinton was not at the event).

“Then of course, there’s that other thing,” Clinton said. “It’s true, I’m thinking about it. But for today, that’s not why I’m here.”

Poll Once unimpressed Iowa welcomes Clinton TheHill

Fifty-three percent of registered Iowa Democrats say in a new survey they would support Hillary Clinton in their presidential caucus ahead of her visit to the state this weekend.

A CNN-ORC poll released Friday found Clinton far outpaces other potential candidates, a trend that has continued over the past year.

Fifteen percent said they would back Vice President Biden in the primary. Biden is scheduled to visit the first-in-the-nation caucus state next week, only a few days after Clinton.
Seven percent would choose Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) in the primary. Sen. Bernie Sanders (D-Vt.), who has also been flirting with a bid, would garner 5 percent.

Speaking of Iowa polling all the way around, this is not the first poll to show Hillary absolutely dominating in Iowa. There have been six other polls in the last 1.5 years that also measured the DEM nomination in IA, and her margin did not go under +42:

Nr.IOWADateSampleMoEClinton FAVDEM Nom.
AVERAGE (one week):N/AN/AN/AN/AN/A
RECENT:
12NBC/Marist17.07.141599 RV+/-2.552 / 42, +1070 / 20, +50
11Quinnipiac23.06.141277 RV+/-2.752 / 41, +11
10PPP (D)22.05.14914 RV+/-3.259 / 12, +42
9The Polling Company/ Woman Trend28.04.14600 LV+/-4.1
8Quinnipiac13.03.141411 RV+/-2.6
7PPP (D)27.02.14869 RV+/-3.367 / 12, +55
6Quinnipiac17.12.131617 RV+/-2.4
5Harper (R)27.11.13958 LV+/-3.12
4Quinnipiac22.07.131256 RV+/-2.852 / 41, +11
3PPP (D)11.07.13668 RV+/-2.887 / 7, +80*71 / 12, +59
2Quinnipiac24.05.131441 RV+/-2.6
1PPP (D) 07.02.13313 DRV+5.590 / 5, +85*68 / 21, +46
*dem voters only
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hillary is going to run. Of this, I have no doubt.

I suspect that she will announce on January 20, 2015 for the 2016 race, just as she did on January 20th, 2007 to the 2008 race.

Complete report on Hillary vs. the prospective GOP field will be coming out in 2 weeks or so.

She wont make it past New Hampshire if she does. Hillary is yesterday's story, damaged goods. Even the press doesnt like her. She will be replaced by more radical leftists like Warren and Sanders.
The Democrats are building the party of UC-Berkeley and Noam Chomsky. No one else cares.

• Banned
And the best you can offer is insults, as always.

Hillary will run.
She will win the nomination.
She will win the GE with around, maybe slightly over 57% and will sail over 400 EV.

Have fun with your anger issues, Rabbi.

Hillaryous!!

How could Democrats have a steak cookout? Shouldn't they be eating tofu and sipping wine and cafe lattes? I would leave the steak and beer to conservatives.

Hillary will run.
She will win the GE with around, maybe slightly over 57% and will sail over 400 EV.

Hillaryous!!
Hillary will crash and burn and Liz Warren will take it, with Sanders as VP. Count on it.
Be prepared to become the Whig Party of the 21st century.

Hillary will run.

Hillaryous!!
Hillary will crash and burn and Liz Warren will take it, with Sanders as VP. Count on it.
Be prepared to become the Whig Party of the 21st century.

again, I keep asking you, where are you going to get the votes?

You guys have maxed out at about 59 million votes. You haven't gone above that int he last few elections.

YOu need to get people who voted for Obama the last few times to vote for your guy the next time.

Is this the best we can do for candidates? Same old, same old. How disappointing.

So you guys complain about Obama because "we didn't know who he was" and then you complain about Hillary because she's "Same old, same old."?

Well there must be a happy medium between the old hag and the wet behind the ears senator.

I'd be happy with anyone who isn't a republican beholden to Wall Street and the Religious and Gun Nuts, thanks.

Forum List

Back