Headline: Palestinian Americans, Dismayed by Violence, Say Historical Context Is Being Overlooked

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
"Palestinian Americans." Red, White, and Blue Americans. "Palestinian Americans are a diverse group. They include both Muslims and Christians, recent arrivals and those whose families have been in the United States for generations. Some described a new wave of activism among younger Palestinian Americans, who have organized on college campuses and made common cause with Black Lives Matter organizers. Others sought to distance themselves from the actions of Hamas."

Palestinian Americans, Dismayed by Violence, Say Historical Context Is Being Overlooked

After Hamas attacked Israel, some U.S. Palestinians said that American politicians and news outlets ignored underlying causes and took Israel’s side.

One I disagree with:

Sumaya Awad, a Palestinian American writer and activist living in New York City, said responses like those were shocking.

“These statements are really dehumanizing us,” she said, “and telling us that our lives are not worth anything.” In the eyes of those officials, she added, “we are never the victim, we are always the aggressor
.”

Outside of people who are on the attack with emotional outbursts, I don't believe most of America's leaders or the average, normal Americans are making statements that are dehumanizing to Palestinians. No normal person is saying the lives of Palestinians are worthless. Palestinians have been the victims before. In this very same article we have evidence of what I claim here.

Mr. Rashid, a Democrat who spent part of his childhood in the West Bank — a territory on Israel’s eastern border that’s home to some three million Palestinians — said he was visiting family there this year when Israeli settlers attacked the village where he was staying. He said his relatives, who made it through uninjured, barricaded inside a home as they listened to gunshots outside.

“We have to have a real reckoning with Israeli government policies that got us to this point and the American government policies that got us to this point,” Mr. Rashid said. He said that “we should condemn any attacks on innocent civilians” but added that “this did not start on Saturday
.”

Palestinians and Jews in America are not very different in fears of the loons and kooks, the haters: In recent days, the police in some U.S. cities have stepped up security around synagogues and mosques.

"Palestinian Americans." Red, White, and Blue Americans. "Palestinian Americans are a diverse group. They include both Muslims and Christians, recent arrivals and those whose families have been in the United States for generations. Some described a new wave of activism among younger Palestinian Americans, who have organized on college campuses and made common cause with Black Lives Matter organizers. Others sought to distance themselves from the actions of Hamas."

Palestinian Americans, Dismayed by Violence, Say Historical Context Is Being Overlooked

After Hamas attacked Israel, some U.S. Palestinians said that American politicians and news outlets ignored underlying causes and took Israel’s side.

One I disagree with:

Sumaya Awad, a Palestinian American writer and activist living in New York City, said responses like those were shocking.

“These statements are really dehumanizing us,” she said, “and telling us that our lives are not worth anything.” In the eyes of those officials, she added, “we are never the victim, we are always the aggressor
.”

Outside of people who are on the attack with emotional outbursts, I don't believe most of America's leaders or the average, normal Americans are making statements that are dehumanizing to Palestinians. No normal person is saying the lives of Palestinians are worthless. Palestinians have been the victims before. In this very same article we have evidence of what I claim here.

Mr. Rashid, a Democrat who spent part of his childhood in the West Bank — a territory on Israel’s eastern border that’s home to some three million Palestinians — said he was visiting family there this year when Israeli settlers attacked the village where he was staying. He said his relatives, who made it through uninjured, barricaded inside a home as they listened to gunshots outside.

“We have to have a real reckoning with Israeli government policies that got us to this point and the American government policies that got us to this point,” Mr. Rashid said. He said that “we should condemn any attacks on innocent civilians” but added that “this did not start on Saturday
.”

Palestinians and Jews in America are not very different in fears of the loons and kooks, the haters: In recent days, the police in some U.S. cities have stepped up security around synagogues and mosques.
When your cousins are beheading toddlers and raping old ladies and shooting whole families... screw the historical context.

Forum List

Back