Have any of you ever been really alone?

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
I don't mean alone in your house or in your car but completely isolated from everyone and everything on purpose.

Alone in a desert far from anything man made at night just you and you alone. Alone in the mountains just you

No phones , no music, no books, no people.

Could you handle it?

I don't mean alone in your house or in your car but completely isolated from everyone and everything on purpose.

Alone in a desert far from anything man made at night just you and you alone. Alone in the mountains just you

Could you handle it?
Yes. Hiked and camped in the NH mountains all by my lonesome when I was in college. Before I met my wife. There were no methods of communication with the outside world in the 80's, save for writing your itinerary down at various checkpoints. If you got into trouble....you were in deep trouble. But it was just you. You could hear yourself think.

Yes. Hiked and camped in the NH mountains all by my lonesome when I was in college. Before I met my wife. There were no methods of communication with the outside world in the 80's, save for writing your itinerary down at various checkpoints. If you got into trouble....you were in deep trouble. But it was just you. You could hear yourself think.

I love the Whites.

I did a winter camping trip in the Great Gulf once and it was just amazingly beautiful

Sure, we had a mountain cabin on 1200 acres. No running water or electricity. I used to stay there a week at a time before I was married.

Then again the stays were usually during some sort of hunting season so between hunting, toting water, cutting wood, cooking, and the other small things that have to be done I was always ready to go to bed when it got dark.

That and I knew I could just hop in the Jeep and be out of there in a hour if I wanted to.

Sure, we had a mountain cabin on 1200 acres. No running water or electricity. I used to stay there a week at a time before I was married.

Then again the stays were usually during some sort of hunting season so between hunting, toting water, cutting wood, cooking, and the other small things that have to be done I was always ready to go to bed when it got dark.

That and I knew I could just hop in the Jeep and be out of there in a hour if I wanted to.

I went with a small tent and the basic supply of back packing foods . I had to take 2 trips out to the campsite I picked because enough water for 5 days in the desert is fucking heavy

Could you handle it?

Yup. I spent 3 months in the desert on a job once. Most of it was by myself as I did the survey work. I was supposed to have help, but they didn't show up till almost the end.

I simply didn't want to wait and do nothing.

About 10 years ago I spent a week in the desert alone. It was in Canyonlands National Park in Utah

It really was a lifechanging experience

Canyonlands is a wonderful place. I prefer Cedar Mesa to the south, by Mexican Hat, but that whole region is spectacular.

Could you handle it?
Yes. Loads of times, and for extended periods quite often as well. Soloing sections of the AT...

I love the Whites.

I did a winter camping trip in the Great Gulf once and it was just amazingly beautiful
Every time I take a drive along Rte 3 from Franconia to Twin Mountain, I look up and see Mount Garfield, my favorite climb in the White Mountains. It has the wooden box base of an old fire tower at the summit. When I was a teenager (and the USFS was way less militant about camping rules), I spent two nights (separate years) at the summit and watched the sunrise the next morning. My absolute favorite White Mountain memory.

Last edited:

Could you handle it?
You are not isolated from everything in the mountains. You are surrounded by many things, some of which will eat you.

Forum List

Back