Any of you, a friend, a relative, ever grow old alone? It frightens me deeply.

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I used to be fiercely independent, I was much younger then, time on my side. When I had my first brush of health issues is when I first realized, "you can't carry the world on your shoulders alone"/

Now I am alone, with my elderly dog who each passing day is going downhill, but doing his best to be my best friend. How do people grow old alone in a cruel world, and when we are such social creatures?

I used to be fiercely independent, I was much younger then, time on my side. When I had my first brush of health issues is when I first realized, "you can't carry the world on your shoulders alone"/

Now I am alone, with my elderly dog who each passing day is going downhill, but doing his best to be my best friend. How do people grow old alone in a cruel world, and when we are such social creatures?
You have more ways to communicate than we used to have when my parents died.

As long as you have a pet you should be good, but once your doggy goes to heaven you might think about finding an assisted living facility.

Learn to become your own best friend. Once you get good at that you’ll meet other people that will want to become part of your life. And at that point you can pick and choose who you want to let in and who you don’t want to let in.

Though I'm a tremendously introverted person, I got out and took a bartending job a few years ago...Though I only met a couple people worthy of being a good friend, I did meet with a lot of my neighbors, and found them to be, for the most part, good decent people.

As for pets, I'd go find a shelter dog...They need you as much as you need them.

There are, I presume, many organizations - e.g., churches - that cater to the wants and needs of the elderly, including the desire to be sociable. If you are ABLE, I suggest you look for volunteer work. I drive a courtesy bus for "Seniors," most of whom are younger than I am. The organization also delivers meals, takes individuals shopping and to doctor appointments.

Ever heard of Hospice? They send volunteers to elderly people who are alone. Just to talk and be a friend.

Seek and you shall find.

You could check out your local senior center for activities and people to meet. Church is also a good option. You have to willing to out and meet and interact with people though. Don’t close yourself off or nobody will even know you exist.
You make a good point.

shockedcanadian put yourself out there. Start conversations with people who you see in your daily life. Ask people if they want to go for coffee perhaps dinner. But you pick and choose whom you want to be friends with. The dog run is always a good place to forge relationships. Make it a goal to talk to more people, and take chances. The worst thing that can happen is someone blows you off. Who cares if that happens?

There are, I presume, many organizations - e.g., churches - that cater to the wants and needs of the elderly, including the desire to be sociable. If you are ABLE, I suggest you look for volunteer work. I drive a courtesy bus for "Seniors," most of whom are younger than I am. The organization also delivers meals, takes individuals shopping and to doctor appointments.

Ever heard of Hospice? They send volunteers to elderly people who are alone. Just to talk and be a friend.

Seek and you shall find.

God bless you. When I was still driving I had several regulars I took to the grocery store, doctors appointments and barber shop. They were terrific.

Worse than being alone is being prey for a system full of predators

Ask me how i know

~S~
I won't ask you. If you ever care to divulge I will read it. I know it all too well, perhaps in a different incarnation.

Forum List

Back