Any of you, a friend, a relative, ever grow old alone? It frightens me deeply.

I used to be fiercely independent, I was much younger then, time on my side. When I had my first brush of health issues is when I first realized, "you can't carry the world on your shoulders alone"/

Now I am alone, with my elderly dog who each passing day is going downhill, but doing his best to be my best friend. How do people grow old alone in a cruel world, and when we are such social creatures?
I hear you.

I have had some pretty severe health issues all my life.

It gets harder and harder each passing year.

The New Sad​

Yes, I am a whine-bot. What's it to you? Are you a cop? An old adage I generally follow "if I don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all". I appreciate the lecture, but I am the one living my.life and in ky country/system. Sometimes I appreciate advice from those who have gone through similar situations..
No, you're not.

You're just sharing.

You need to develop some hobbies, and some strategies for when you can't take care of things yourself in an emergency, so you feel secure and don't have to worry.

.. . just be pragmatic and take care of yourself.

Folks on this site can be cruel for their own fun.

Just roll with it.

No, you're not.

You're just sharing.

You need to develop some hobbies, and some strategies for when you can't take care of things yourself in an emergency, so you feel secure and don't have to worry.

.. . just be pragmatic and take care of yourself.

Folks on this site can be cruel for their own fun.

Just roll with it.

Or maybe some people need a kick in the ass to get over their unproductive self-pity.

Or maybe some people need a kick in the ass to get over their unproductive self-pity.
Or maybe you should not speak on things you know little about.. . .

8kta91.jpg

I understand this. Deeply.

I came from a VERY stoic family. My grandmother came from a family of Canadian Mennonites. Father always taught us, no matter how bad you have it, someone certainly has it worse, don't be a burden on others emotions. He had no use for sympathy, and had no clue what empathy was.

I lived that all my youth, till I volunteered for a crises call-line that was originally founded to help Vietnam vets, it specialized in empathy. I took a six-week training course, completely non-political. Sometimes, folks just need to know, they are not alone, they just need to be heard. Listened to. It had nothing to do with folks "playing the victim." Real people, in real life.

We prevented a lot of folks from suicide and overdosing. You don't need to treat folks as "victims," or pretending to have sympathy. . just practice empathy.

It really is that simple.

I come from a stoic background as well. But, it's not enough to gut it out with dignity.. We have to choose happiness. I sort of think I owe that to God and my family.

I'm very fortunate. I have been blessed with a wonderful life...and I have faced cruel, tragic, dark days as well.

Choose to be happy.

I come from a stoic background as well. But, it's not enough to gut it out with dignity.. We have to choose happiness. I sort of think I owe that to God and my family.

I'm very fortunate. I have been blessed with a wonderful life...and I have faced cruel, tragic, dark days as well.

Choose to be happy.
I agree. I choose to be happy as well.

But? I empathize with others when they may meet a moment of darkness. We are all, in the end, only human. Compassion and connection helps us get through it all. :dunno:

Studies have shown, this helps us.

Offer free room and board to someone who is only slightly.disabled on exchange for cleaning and companionship. During the depression my great grandmother rented rooms to boarders after her husband abandoned the family. She put herself through school and the kids worked selling newspapers and gave all their earnings to their mom. They Managed well and had a full house of happy people. Sometimes too it's a perspective and attitude that changes what you are experiencing. You got a lot of good advice from strangers on the board. What a great world we have.

You guys keep.referring to me as a senior,.I am not even 60. Furthermore I have a little.more.class at my age than to view women as objects.
Sorry, I was picturing you as a lonely senior. Guess the senior center idea isn’t for you. There are civic groups, clubs, lodges, athletic leagues, volunteer organizations, etc all looking for new people though. Get out and look around.

Sometimes, folks just need to know, they are not alone, they just need to be heard. Listened to. It had nothing to do with folks "playing the victim." Real people, in real life.
exactly Mr B

my own anecdotal would be the frequent flyers in town....

Sorts that, when the tone went out, we already knew their basic med history, so 95% was really being a bartender w/stethoscope , amounting to no more than conversation and taxi ride.

old timers, shut in's who might see meals on wheels , or the visiting nurses, at best....

some transfers were 50 minutes north to VA , i always made a point of asking the vets where they were stationed, served, did, saw....

we sure did get some pretty good stories!

~S~

I used to be fiercely independent, I was much younger then, time on my side. When I had my first brush of health issues is when I first realized, "you can't carry the world on your shoulders alone"/

Now I am alone, with my elderly dog who each passing day is going downhill, but doing his best to be my best friend. How do people grow old alone in a cruel world, and when we are such social creatures?
The Catholic Church has always made this central,the Communion of Saints, the Totus Christus, the Family of God.
You willl notice that most gays and abortion types on here trumpet the lone individual.
It is poison
Even Biden for Good Friday but up a LGBT flag. There is something wrong with the man

Forum List

Back