Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

No, the Mexican American War, the only one I am aware of, lasted over two years, not two day. There were half dozen major battles. The US death toll was 13,283, twice that of the revolutionary war. Mexican losses are not really know but could be as much as 25,000.
I don't think the "two day wars" comment was meant to be taken literally.

News flash! Santa Anna WON at he Alamo, folks!

roflmao
The Mexicans lost the Alamo before they retook it under Santa Ana....and then they lost it again.
Happy Cinco de Mayo...thanks for Texas, Mexico.
I don't think they must have had a very good army. It seems like our wars with them always took about two days and they mostly always lost.
No, the Mexican American War, the only one I am aware of, lasted over two years, not two day. There were half dozen major battles. The US death toll was 13,283, twice that of the revolutionary war. Mexican losses are not really know but could be as much as 25,000.
Oh dear.
No problem. I thought it was a very short war with few causalities till I looked it up. Another misconception is that the Battle of the Alamo was part of the war. It was actually fought about 10 years before the war.

Everyone loves Mexican food. My dream is to become so rich I can afford to import chicken burritos every single day from St. Helena California to here in the north of Oregon.

Happy invasion day! Lets celebrate in true Mexican style, get smashed on tequila and then literally get smashed driving the wrong way up highway downramp. Because, ya know...

No problem. I thought it was a very short war with few causalities till I looked it up. Another misconception is that the Battle of the Alamo was part of the war. It was actually fought about 10 years before the war.
First Texas was annexed. The Mexican American war was sparked by Texas.

A little know historical fact:
Most people don’t know that back in 1912, Hellmann’s mayonnaise was manufactured in England.
In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York.
This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.
The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.
The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

'eff cinco de mayo and the wetback it rode in on

~S~
:tongue-44:

Boy, there's something about white guys and Mexicans in Boston--they hate each other. What is going on up there?

A little know historical fact:
Most people don’t know that back in 1912, Hellmann’s mayonnaise was manufactured in England.
In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York.
This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.
The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.
The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.
:rolleyes-41:

Everyone loves Mexican food. My dream is to become so rich I can afford to import chicken burritos every single day from St. Helena California to here in the north of Oregon.
Yum. Couldn't you learn to make them? I make a mean tostada--that's one of my all time favorite munchies.

Happy invasion day! Lets celebrate in true Mexican style, get smashed on tequila and then literally get smashed driving the wrong way up highway downramp. Because, ya know...
Whatever floats your boat Mary.
Stay off the road for awhile, folks--Mary's leaving.

Let's all celebrate Mexico's victory over France in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. .
Or, celebrate a good reason for a Tequila Sunrise with brunch.
Hug a Mexican today.

beautiful-vector-illustration-design-mexican-450w-1050425231.jpg

If this country ever needed Cinco de Mayo, it is now, with all those crazies including our President imagining an invasion at our border. Peace, brutha. Or, peace, hermano.

View attachment 259461
Strange that an "AMERICAN" would have any attachment to this foreign day. Fuck Mexico.

Let's all celebrate Mexico's victory over France in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. .
Hug a Mexican today.

If this country ever needed Cinco de Mayo, it is now, with all those crazies including our President imagining an invasion at our border. Peace, brutha. Or, peace, hermano.

View attachment 259461
Strange that an "AMERICAN" would have any attachment to this foreign day. Fuck Mexico.
Strange that an "AMERICAN" would have hostile thoughts about this foreign day, since it is not HIS day and if he don't like it he can just go do something else, like run over his foot with the lawn mower, maybe.

I lived in Mexico, many years ago for 8 months. Since then I vacationed and visited friends many times. Mexican cuisine often shocks Americans. They expect Tex-Mex which originated in Texas in about 1875. Tex-Mex is most popular near the border. In Chihuahua it's steak, chicken, and pork and your tacos are going to look more like enchiladas. In the eastern part of the country in the city of Merida, the food is more continental and Caribbean with lots Cuban influence as well as European. Go to the West Coast, say La Paz or Mazatlan and it seafood, great shrimp dishes, fancy baked fish. In central southern mexico is more country, beans, corn, pork, and fruit.

Ask for a bowl of Chili in Mexico and you're likely to get a surprised look from the waiter as he brings you out a bowl chili peppers.

Hug a Mexican today.

View attachment 259461
Strange that an "AMERICAN" would have hostile thoughts about this foreign day, since it is not HIS day and if he don't like it he can just go do something else, like run over his foot with the lawn mower, maybe.
The only thing Mexican about Cinco de Mayo is the name. It's not really celebrated in Mexico.

I lived in Mexico, many years ago for 8 months. Since then I vacationed and visited friends many times. Mexican cuisine often shocks Americans. They expect Tex-Mex which originated in Texas in about 1875. Tex-Mex is most popular near the border. In Chihuahua it's steak, chicken, and pork and your tacos are going to look more like enchiladas. In the eastern part of the country in the city of Merida, the food is more continental and Caribbean with lots Cuban influence as well as European. Go to the West Coast, say La Paz or Mazatlan and it seafood, great shrimp dishes, fancy baked fish. In central southern mexico is more country, beans, corn, pork, and fruit.

Ask for a bowl of Chili in Mexico and you're likely to get a surprised look from the waiter as he brings you out a bowl chili peppers.
Mexican cuisine, Italian, Chinese, French (probably to a lesser degree), etc. are always a bastardization of those styles when American tastes are accounted for. It's a given.

Hug a Mexican today.

View attachment 259461
Yep....may you all go back to Mexico or whatever shithole country you came from....and fix your own shit.....stop screwing with us.
Total shithole, indeed.

yelapa-beach-mexico-beaches-486591598.jpg

Mexico-Popocatepetl.jpg

mexico-city-tech-center.jpg

Barbados-iStock_34909894_LARGE-2.jpg
Mexico City....
G85kT7P.jpg

56f10-nl.png

Hug a Mexican today.

View attachment 259461
Cico De Mayo is largely celebrated in the US, not Mexico. The day gained nationwide popularity in the US in the 1980s thanks to Texas distributors of Corona. Today, Cinco de Mayo generates beer sales on par with the Super Bowl. In Mexico, Cinco de Mayo is a commemoration of the battle, mostly ceremonial, such as through military parades or battle reenactments. The nationwide drinking fest in the US never made it down to Mexico although in tourist areas you see it advertised in some bars

Americans will adopt a holiday or just make one up, like Quanza, any excuse to drink.

Forum List

Back