Half Of Americans Want To Take The Country Back To The 1950s

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Donald Trump’s supporters are far more likely to be nostalgic.

Americans are close to evenly split on whether the U.S. has gotten better or worse in the past 60 years, according to a new survey from the nonprofit organization PRRI.

Fifty-one percent say that American culture and way of life have worsened since the 1950s, while 48 percent say they have changed for the better.

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton supporters are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Seventy-two percent of likely Trump voters think things have changed for the worse, while about 70 person of Clinton voters think things have changed for the better.

“This election has become a referendum on competing visions of America’s future,” Robert P. Jones, PRRI’s CEO, said in a statement. “Donald Trump supporters are nostalgic for the 1950s, an era when white Christians in particular had more political and cultural power in the country, while Hillary Clinton supporters are leaning into ― and even celebrating ― the big cultural transformations the country has experienced over the last few decades.”

Democrats, millennials, black Americans and people who aren’t affiliated with any religion ― all groups that are largely backing Clinton ― are among the most likely to think that things have improved. Republicans, white evangelical Protestants and members of the white working class ― groups that have shown more support for Trump ― are the most likely to express nostalgia for the 1950s.

580fd0b11700009c2aace248.png

PRRI

“We argue over whether we’re divided by race, class, gender or religion,” columnist E.J. Dionne said Tuesday at a panel discussing the poll’s release. “What’s really scary about this poll is that we are divided by all of the following: class, race, gender and religion. We are deeply divided by these things.”

A similar survey question from Pew Research found that Trump and Clinton supporters are also divided over how life has changed specifically for “people like them” ― Clinton supporters say by a 40-point margin that it has gotten better over the past 50 years, but Trump supporters say by a 70-point margin that it’s gotten worse.

More: Half Of Americans Want To Take The Country Back To The 1950s

I miss a lot of things from the good ole days - and a lot of things I don't miss. It's no surprise that whites in the above chart perceive things as worse. I guess they are afraid - because they'll soon be a minority. Hispanics are slowly reclaiming their stolen birthright and rising up as a powerful political force. We Native Americans are just watching the show.

Last edited:
Yp everyone line up say the pledge allegiance like good little Americans. Then go to work for $15 bucksper hour and...and....be thankful for the job. Lmao big time.

The biggest difference is corporations used to want to help communities now they want their cheap labor and for communities to wither away. Corporate america ain't it great?

Americans are close to evenly split on whether the U.S. has gotten better or worse in the past 60 years, according to a new survey from the nonprofit organization PRRI.

Fifty-one percent say that American culture and way of life have worsened since the 1950s, while 48 percent say they have changed for the better.

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton supporters are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Seventy-two percent of likely Trump voters think things have changed for the worse, while about 70 person of Clinton voters think things have changed for the better.

“This election has become a referendum on competing visions of America’s future,” Robert P. Jones, PRRI’s CEO, said in a statement. “Donald Trump supporters are nostalgic for the 1950s, an era when white Christians in particular had more political and cultural power in the country, while Hillary Clinton supporters are leaning into ― and even celebrating ― the big cultural transformations the country has experienced over the last few decades.”

Democrats, millennials, black Americans and people who aren’t affiliated with any religion ― all groups that are largely backing Clinton ― are among the most likely to think that things have improved. Republicans, white evangelical Protestants and members of the white working class ― groups that have shown more support for Trump ― are the most likely to express nostalgia for the 1950s.

PRRI

“We argue over whether we’re divided by race, class, gender or religion,” columnist E.J. Dionne said Tuesday at a panel discussing the poll’s release. “What’s really scary about this poll is that we are divided by all of the following: class, race, gender and religion. We are deeply divided by these things.”

A similar survey question from Pew Research found that Trump and Clinton supporters are also divided over how life has changed specifically for “people like them” ― Clinton supporters say by a 40-point margin that it has gotten better over the past 50 years, but Trump supporters say by a 70-point margin that it’s gotten worse.

I miss a lot of things from the good ole days - and a lot of things I don't miss. It's no surprise that whites in the above chart perceive things as worse. I guess they are afraid - because they'll soon be a minority. Hispanics are slowly reclaiming their stolen birthright and rising up as a powerful political force. We Native Americans are just watching the show.

Not me.

I would, however, like to take the Democrats figuratively back to the 50s, by putting them in chain gangs and setting them to useful work on infrastructure.

PRRI

looks like the uneducated crackas lead the way, not the future of America

PRRI

"Fifty-one percent say that American culture and way of life have worsened since the 1950s"

And if that 51% all go out and vote, that means that Hillary loses.

In America things have got worse for black people, black males especially, pre-Civil Rights Bill they took pride in themselves, had self-respect and while things were Segregated, in their own communities were often comfortable and reasonably successful small businessmen.

What Leftist Americans did to Black America in itself is a crime.

xtumblr_m2h4p0xi2f1qlz1xgo1_500.jpg.pagespeed.ic_.s_f5pIeMnC.jpg

Celebrating cultural transformations....now that's funny.

Their idea of a transformation is one where they say what should be and they'll be incredibly tolerant until you frigging disagree.

Then you call it a revolution.
A violent one.

The reality is a lot of dumb Americans believe that the outcome is going to make a huge difference. I pity you.

I couldn't agree more, many things were better back then although I'm not old enough to say I experienced the 50's.

From time to time I go back to the place I grew up until the age of 7. I remember people walking the streets at night with their children. People on the porch during the summer having conversations. Sleeping at night with the door unlocked and open, and not many people had a gun back then.

Everybody knew each other because the only entertainment back then was a black and white television about the size of a computer screen today. You only got three channels. During the summer, they played reruns which nobody wanted to watch, so everybody spent their time outside.

Nearly every child had a stay-at-home mother. McDonald's was a special treat--not a weekly staple. Everyday was a home cooked meal day. If you wanted to see a new movie, you went out and watched one at a movie theater, or for a real treat, your parents took you to the Drive-In.

Because most families were one car families and mom stayed home, food and beverages were delivered to your home. We had the milk man, the juice man, the grocery store man, even the Charles Chip man.

Today, I sleep with a gun in my headboard. Few people know their neighbors because they stay inside of their home year round. kids are consumed with video games, the internet, and even their very own cell phone, so many sit around home and get fat. They are not as respectful of their elderly like when I was a child. Kids feared their elders like teachers and police, and had the utmost respect for them as they were raised to do. Today, kids attack teachers and police.

Women were women and men were men. We only had two sexualities back then, not the dozens we have today according to Face Book. Today weirdos wear dresses because they think they are women, and now (thanks to liberals) those weirdos are in your daughters bathrooms and showers. Women wore the dresses and they didn't have tattoos up and down their arms and legs.

PRRI

We've had a progressive president for eight years.

Hasn't worked out so well for us.

The rich will winno matter what. The rest of you get to keep your double sides. And think you have it good because you liuve in america. Dumb.

PRRI

Yeah, and the one before was sooo much better, right? Have you forgotten the Great Bush Recession?

Of course it has. We are not the kind of people our father and grandfather's were. Only a spoiled child with no understanding of his own insignificance would fail to understand our ancestors were superior in every way. Cultured DEGENERATE. ALWAYS. That's how nations die.

PRRI

The blacks have been used by the Leftists, Progressives, Liberals, they've been used for nearly 52 years as pawns to keep the Democrats in voters and what have the blacks got in return? Not a great deal.

8aff6ba3205830606945ed4a1905fac9.jpg

Most of those people never lived during or were not old enough to clearly remember the 50s which means their impression of the decade comes almost entirely from old TV shows like Andy Griffith and Leave it to Beaver. Anyone who thinks America was better off then are right mostly because the industrial capacity of the world was still trying to recover from being bombed out of existence. Never will we see such an unnatural trade advantage again, the past is gone and there is no going back. It is also important to note that Union membership was at it's peak and there was a 90% tax bracket for the very rich.

Terror recruitment video has Trump excerpt - CNN.com

Donald Trump is indeed featured in a terrorist recruiting ad: DNC 2016 Fact Check

In January, the Somali terrorist group Al-Shabaab (which is affiliated with Al-Qaeda), released a 51-minute recruitment video. In the video, a man said, "Yesterday, America was a land of slavery, segregation, lynching and the Ku Klux Klan. And tomorrow, it will be a land of religious discrimination and concentration camps."

The video then went straight to a clip of Trump, calling for the halt in allowing Muslims into this country.

----------------------------

WTF???????? Turns out Clinton was right. You can watch it yourself.

PRRI

Yeah, and the one before was sooo much better, right? Have you forgotten the Great Bush Recession?

Actually, he was very much like one of you people, especially his second term. Obama slid into the seat surprisingly seamlessly.

PRRI

Bush was an idiot before the recession.

So we replaced one loser with another loser.

Forum List

Back