Growing portion of US shoppers are rejecting EVs. J.D. Power survey.

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

"J.D. Power's data show the number of shoppers "very unlikely" to consider an EV purchase in the next 12 months reached 21% in March. That's up 2% from the month before and the highest "very unlikely" response J.D. Power had ever seen.

Price and charging were the biggest reasons survey respondents rejected EVs. Of those "very unlikely" and "somewhat unlikely" to consider an EV, 49% cited both "lack of charging station availability" and "purchase price" as reasons for their disinterest in EVs. "Limited driving distance per charge" and "time required to charge" were also frequently cited, with 43% and 41% of respondents, respectively, listing them as factors in avoiding an EV purchase."

Credit: J.D. Power

Part 2. J.D. Power survey for origin of data

Source material...J.D. Power survey

"Demographics are also playing a role in these results. While it may not be surprising that the majority of Boomers[1] and Pre-Boomers aren’t considering EVs, fully one-third (33%) of Gen Z shoppers—the future of the marketplace—say they’re “somewhat unlikely” or “very unlikely.” It is clear in the data that price and charging infrastructure are significant obstacles for a wide spectrum of potential customers."

:oops8:

LOL...Waiting for the WH press conference where KJP spins this as a temporary backlash against that racist/fascist Musk - and that with more government interference subsidies and cooperation with American automakers, people will be lined up outside of GM and Ford dealerships for their EVs in no time! ;)

No surprises there. Folks will only like EVs less and less the more they use and learn about them. The technology and infrastructure simply isn't there and won't be there for at least another decade at best.

I just watched a show on very-green PBS where a guy in California, the most green, EV-friendly state tried to drive north from around LA to SF in an EV and had to make SEVEN stops, to fill up five times (two stations were DOA) at one stop having to wait 1.5 hours alone just to get the charge he needed just to finally make the one trip.

F THAT. I wouldn't take that if the charging were FREE and they GAVE me the EV to own.

No surprises there. Folks will only like EVs less and less the more they use and learn about them. The technology and infrastructure simply isn't there and won't be there for at least another decade at best.

I just watched a show on very-green PBS where a guy in California, the most green, EV-friendly state tried to drive north from around LA to SF in an EV and had to make SEVEN stops, to fill up five times (two stations were DOA) at one stop having to wait 1.5 hours alone just to get the charge he needed just to finally make the one trip.

F THAT. I wouldn't take that if the charging were FREE and they GAVE me the EV to own.
Would you be interested in a car that ran on hydrogen and flew?

The Telsa really is not "your car," it is the onboard computer's car. The Tesla is a communist car, it does everything for you, and you can't decide any of it. The car tells you.

Funny thing, if it runs out of juice, and you put it in neutral, when you open the door, it shifts you BACK INTO PARK so you CANNOT PUSH IT.... because "it knows best for you."

The Telsa really is not "your car," it is the onboard computer's car. The Tesla is a communist car, it does everything for you, and you can't decide any of it. The car tells you.

Funny thing, if it runs out of juice, and you put it in neutral, when you open the door, it shifts you BACK INTO PARK so you CANNOT PUSH IT.... because "it knows best for you."
ICE cars do lots of things for you as well because the people who design them, just like the people who design Tesla's, would like you AND the car to stay safe.

ICE cars do lots of things for you as well because the people who design them, just like the people who design Tesla's, would like you AND the car to stay safe.

Until someone figures out a way to hack the controls and commands every one of them to accelerate to 100 MPH.

How is it SAFE when it runs out of juice, I need to push it off the road, and it refuses to come out of PARK when the door opens to let me out???

Other people do not tell me what is SAFE....

Until someone figures out a way to hack the controls and commands every one of them to accelerate to 100 MPH.
You don't need an EV for that.

I have a 2021 Toyota Sienna hybrid minivan. It has a radar-enabled cruise control. It has controls similar to previous systems: one button to turn the system on, one button that sets the speed or lets you coast to a slower speed setting and one that resumes the speed or increases the speed setting. I did not get the upper trim version so I have a smaller display screen in the dash and did not notice that the speed settings were actually numeric. When you hold the resume/increase button down, the numeric setting rises much faster than the car is actually accelerating. In older cars, of course, when you held that button, the car would accelerate. When it had reached the speed you wanted, you would release the button and the car would set itself at whatever speed it was traveling at that time. I assumed that was how the new car was working and would hold the button down till the car has accelerated from, say 72 to 82. Unfortunately, while I was doing that, the numeric setting had climbed to 110 or so. So I would release the button but the car would continue to accelerate. I was minutes from taking it to the dealer when I finally noted the numeric speed setting, about 1/4" tall, hiding on the screen. Now I love it, but those first few times it scared the bejesus out of me.

You don't need an EV for that.

I have a 2021 Toyota Sienna hybrid minivan. It has a radar-enabled cruise control. It has controls similar to previous systems: one button to turn the system on, one button that sets the speed or lets you coast to a slower speed setting and one that resumes the speed or increases the speed setting. I did not get the upper trim version so I have a smaller display screen in the dash and did not notice that the speed settings were actually numeric. When you hold the resume/increase button down, the numeric setting rises much faster than the car is actually accelerating. In older cars, of course, when you held that button, the car would accelerate. When it had reached the speed you wanted, you would release the button and the car would set itself at whatever speed it was traveling at that time. I assumed that was how the new car was working and would hold the button down till the car has accelerated from, say 72 to 82. Unfortunately, while I was doing that, the numeric setting had climbed to 110 or so. So I would release the button but the car would continue to accelerate. I was minutes from taking it to the dealer when I finally noted the numeric speed setting, about 1/4" tall, hiding on the screen. Now I love it, but those first few times it scared the bejesus out of me.

EV's are being touted as computerized fully, another thing wrong with them.

Still doesn't eliminate the fact that EV's will not be as good or better than ICE vehicles until you can fully charge a battery as fast as you can fill a gas tank.

"J.D. Power's data show the number of shoppers "very unlikely" to consider an EV purchase in the next 12 months reached 21% in March. That's up 2% from the month before and the highest "very unlikely" response J.D. Power had ever seen.

Price and charging were the biggest reasons survey respondents rejected EVs. Of those "very unlikely" and "somewhat unlikely" to consider an EV, 49% cited both "lack of charging station availability" and "purchase price" as reasons for their disinterest in EVs. "Limited driving distance per charge" and "time required to charge" were also frequently cited, with 43% and 41% of respondents, respectively, listing them as factors in avoiding an EV purchase."

Part 2. J.D. Power survey for origin of data

Source material...J.D. Power survey

"Demographics are also playing a role in these results. While it may not be surprising that the majority of Boomers[1] and Pre-Boomers aren’t considering EVs, fully one-third (33%) of Gen Z shoppers—the future of the marketplace—say they’re “somewhat unlikely” or “very unlikely.” It is clear in the data that price and charging infrastructure are significant obstacles for a wide spectrum of potential customers."

:oops8:

LOL...Waiting for the WH press conference where KJP spins this as a temporary backlash against that racist/fascist Musk - and that with more government interference subsidies and cooperation with American automakers, people will be lined up outside of GM and Ford dealerships for their EVs in no time! ;)
Libs have already decided that consumers will have nothing to say about the cars they drive

The fascist left has chosen EV’s for everyone

Libs have already decided that consumers will have nothing to say about the cars they drive

The fascist left has chosen EV’s for everyone
You'll have the EXACT same control you've got now. Buy it or do not buy it. For fuck's sake get real.

You'll have the EXACT same control you've got now. Buy it or do not buy it. For fuck's sake get real.
Really?

States like california are banning ICE auto’s

And biden is vowing to strangle oil production

Really?

States like california are banning ICE auto’s

And biden is vowing to strangle oil production
That has nothing to do with your control over the cars you drive. You never had any control, you don't now and you won't in the future.

That has nothing to do with your control over the cars you drive. You never had any control, you don't now and you won't in the future.
What are you babbling about?

Libs want to take away my choice of an EV or an ICE car and force me to own an EV

I see "Thread Killer Crick" has joined in. Sorry Crock, the public has spoken.

Show me in congress where a Bill was passed banning ICE vehicles. That's just some state level BS.

Ford is losing 58K+ on every EV it currently sells, how many more years do you think that they will keep that up before they say "no mas" and they and other car makers lobby congress for a nationwide remedy to EV mandates states like CA have imposed?

My daughter recently got a hybrid and loves it. Best of both worlds and holds a charge long enough to get her to and from work on battery along. For pennies. Unless she takes a long trip she never fills the tank.

There is a place for EVs but they are not for everyone. My next car may well be one since most of my driving is local and we'd use my wife's car for long trips.

My daughter recently got a hybrid and loves it. Best of both worlds and holds a charge long enough to get her to and from work on battery along. For pennies. Unless she takes a long trip she never fills the tank.

There is a place for EVs but they are not for everyone. My next car may well be one since most of my driving is local and we'd use my wife's car for long trips.
I like hybrids

Forum List

Back