Grocery stores..................your jobs are next..........

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Well, it seems that technology is finally catching up to the place where computers are literally taking American jobs. Seems that Amazon has come up with a new tech where you scan your phone, walk into the grocery store, take what you want, and the app knows what you've gotten, based on tracking data.

Conceivably, they could have an entire grocery store that only needs 2 or 3 people for the entire place instead of the normal 50 to 100 jobs they would provide normally.

Amazon just opened a grocery store without a checkout line

Now, not only do you need to worry about jobs going overseas, but now you have to worry about service sector jobs being taken over by computers.

I would want machines too. I damn sure wouldn't pay a teenager 15 bucks an hour for ringing up broccoli

I would want machines too. I damn sure wouldn't pay a teenager 15 bucks an hour for ringing up broccoli

How many grocery stores do you go in nowadays? The United Supermarket just down the street has only about maybe 25 percent workers under the age of 25. The rest are in their 40's or better. Same with the other United Marketstreet on the other side of town.

And have you been in Wal Mart? Look at the ages of the greeters and the checkers there. Most of them are NOT teenagers.

And............if Amazon proves to be successful with this, how long do you think it would take other stores to do so as well?

How many grocery stores do you go in nowadays? The United Supermarket just down the street has only about maybe 25 percent workers under the age of 25. The rest are in their 40's or better. Same with the other United Marketstreet on the other side of town.

And have you been in Wal Mart? Look at the ages of the greeters and the checkers there. Most of them are NOT teenagers.

And............if Amazon proves to be successful with this, how long do you think it would take other stores to do so as well?
I wouldn't pay an adult 15 bucks an hour either. I think you missed my point.

Arriving shortly there after a letter from dept of health and your insurance co demanding you change your eating habits..........ooooooops

Chicken-Little syndrome. :dunno:

Btw, Obama's president......is this supposed to be Trump's fault or Obama's fault???

Could it possibly be that grocery stores are being regulated out of business???

Could it be that Democrats pushing a $15 minimum-wage are causing this???

Hmmmmmmmmm???

I like Shipt. I can order my groceries from the local Publix or my liquor from ABC, pay for it, and someone else will do the shopping for me and deliver it to my door.

This Amazon thing doesn't appeal to me as I would still have to physically go to the store. Shipt actually creates jobs.

Liquor....delivered....right to my fucking DOOR!

there are aps in some stores that even know when groceries are put back on the shelf and checks you out direct to your charge card from your phone

then some stores are removing their self check out machines

many can already shop their local grocery stores from their phone or computer and have it delivered to their door within an hour or two.

Used to be a store that did your dry cleaning and put your groceries away in your kitchen for you, but they were too ahead of their time. I miss them

You know, if this ends up in places like Wal Mart and all the other large chain stores, then our service sector jobs are in serious trouble.

So what is the answer? Do we just keep people on jobs where they aren't necessary and computers do the job faster, cheaper and more accurately? If so, do we constantly raise minimum wages to pay for the higher prices caused by hiring those that are not necessary but, now need higher wages?

I like Shipt. I can order my groceries from the local Publix or my liquor from ABC, pay for it, and someone else will do the shopping for me and deliver it to my door.

This Amazon thing doesn't appeal to me as I would still have to physically go to the store. Shipt actually creates jobs.

Liquor....delivered....right to my fucking DOOR!

The wife and I have been considering this option.
The only thing I would still go to the store for would be for meat and veggies.
I want to pick my own.

^^^ Amen to that.

So what is the answer? Do we just keep people on jobs where they aren't necessary and computers do the job faster, cheaper and more accurately?
If people aren't there to do the work, what would happen should the computers not work the way that they should and that is if they don't completely quit on you all together?

God bless you two always!!!

Holly

Well, it seems that technology is finally catching up to the place where computers are literally taking American jobs. Seems that Amazon has come up with a new tech where you scan your phone, walk into the grocery store, take what you want, and the app knows what you've gotten, based on tracking data.

Conceivably, they could have an entire grocery store that only needs 2 or 3 people for the entire place instead of the normal 50 to 100 jobs they would provide normally.

Now, not only do you need to worry about jobs going overseas, but now you have to worry about service sector jobs being taken over by computers.

I doubt it what I see most of us hate the self check out kisok...

I never use them and I despise lines with a passion.

I wouldn't pay an adult 15 bucks an hour either. I think you missed my point.
LOL Just think once we are all under government controlled income you won't get paid either. none of us will .

If all I'm grabbing is a few items and the lines are long I use them.

Lol ...I live by the rule if I can get some one else to do it...I let them.

I figure part of the price goes towards labor , may as well use theirs.

Lol ...I live by the rule if I can get some one else to do it...I let them.

I figure part of the price goes towards labor , may as well use theirs.

While I understand your sentiment expediency is more important to me.

.with all these companies switching from paid employees to iphone scanners, who do they think will be shopping at their stores when everyone is unemployed?

Forum List

Back