Grocery stores..................your jobs are next..........

This is awesome. Wouldn't you love to walk into a store pick up all your stuff and just walk out
No lines no wasting time

According to the website Brainboost .com, the average person will spend 10 years standing in line over their lifetime. That seems like an awfully long time. But maybe whoever came up with that stat factored in the time we'll wait to get on a ride at Disneyland.

doing this everywhere will give us years of our lives back

I'm all for it
10 years? Only an idiot would believe such a thing.

You know, if this ends up in places like Wal Mart and all the other large chain stores, then our service sector jobs are in serious trouble.
Most Walmart's already use self check out. Especislly the Walmart grocery stores.

I like Shipt. I can order my groceries from the local Publix or my liquor from ABC, pay for it, and someone else will do the shopping for me and deliver it to my door.

This Amazon thing doesn't appeal to me as I would still have to physically go to the store. Shipt actually creates jobs.

Liquor....delivered....right to my fucking DOOR!

I've always thought, "What goes better with alcoholism than laziness?" :lol:

This is awesome. Wouldn't you love to walk into a store pick up all your stuff and just walk out
No lines no wasting time

According to the website Brainboost .com, the average person will spend 10 years standing in line over their lifetime. That seems like an awfully long time. But maybe whoever came up with that stat factored in the time we'll wait to get on a ride at Disneyland.

I'm all for it

Takes one to know one

You know, if this ends up in places like Wal Mart and all the other large chain stores, then our service sector jobs are in serious trouble.
Most Walmart's already use self check out. Especislly the Walmart grocery stores.
this isn't self checkout

The items are tallied as you take them and then your credit card is charged automatically you just fill your cart and walk out the door

No lines no wasting time

I'm all for it

Takes one to know one
Tell me how a person could possibly spend 10 years of their life standing in line.

Well now people will have to learn how to fix those machines and charge 50 bucks an hour to fix them plus a couple hundred bucks to show up.

I like Shipt. I can order my groceries from the local Publix or my liquor from ABC, pay for it, and someone else will do the shopping for me and deliver it to my door.

This Amazon thing doesn't appeal to me as I would still have to physically go to the store. Shipt actually creates jobs.

Liquor....delivered....right to my fucking DOOR!

I've always thought, "What goes better with alcoholism than laziness?" :lol:

Maybe there will be an app that will get the drinks mixed and served to me without my having to even get up! That would be cool.

I don't think this type of thing would work for me. When it comes to groceries, I like looking at stuff before I buy it ... or refuse to buy it. I really dislike the store I shop most frequently for a variety of reasons but we have limited options in this little town. We have a Walmart that's probably about the same driving distance in the opposite direction, just not always convenient. Otherwise, we have two little stores with fewer options but better prices. It just makes no sense to me to drive around all over town getting this item here, that item there. What have I really saved in terms of gas use and time? Computers can't pick up produce, turn it over and look at it, make judgments as to just how fresh it is, etc. Maybe I'm just too picky.

Our local Walmart has had check out lines for decades.
"Please go to till number six".
Yesterday we went to Walmart and ALL those checkout lines were GONE!
Now only two old style traditional 'line up and wait for the customer to go through' remains.
These are for old/infirm people only!

There are now tens of millions of young people who will NEVER have a decent job in their lifetimes.
And Clinton wanted to bring tens of thousands of illiterates into the country to compete for the quickly disappearing 'McJobs'.

So what is the answer? Do we just keep people on jobs where they aren't necessary and computers do the job faster, cheaper and more accurately? If so, do we constantly raise minimum wages to pay for the higher prices caused by hiring those that are not necessary but, now need higher wages?
Obama's answer was to borrow and 'print' money.
The strength of the US economy has always been predicated on the fact that there was always 'real money' in the bank.
Now that's a fucking long dead myth.
Any truly successful business is based on the fact that it's producing something people are willing to pay 'real' money for.

Well now people will have to learn how to fix those machines and charge 50 bucks an hour to fix them plus a couple hundred bucks to show up.
You're delusional AND stupid!
These 'machines' are built to go through millions of cycles BEFORE they even need regular maintenance.
"Training" someone to unplug the "machine" and move it with a dolly and plug in a replacement machine takes 30 minutes you dummy!
Most of the time a technician can run a diagnostic test on-sight and unplug the failed module etc and plug in a new one.
EVERY electronic COMPONENT of the 'machine' is "PLUG AND PLAY'.
If/when the "machine" fails mechanically it's shipped to a repair business. The failed machine is plugged into an electronic troubleshooting analyser. Just like with any modern vehicle.
One FF repair technician I know serves a hundred FF outlets.
99.99% of his calls are for failed cheap modules etc made in India and China.
The latest incarnation of this business is having a computer inside the "machine" that the technician can communicate with over the internet.
I recently saw a demonstration for a FF drinks machine. The machine was in the next room but it could have been a thousand miles away.
The demonstration showed the technician's cell phone ring. He answered and a human voice said: ""Machine number XWZ is not functioning currently at XWZ location. The module number XWZ has failed". The technician actually spoke words to the computer and the words were put into text.
The technician then phoned the FF outlet and described the problem and said when he would be there to make the repair.
The technician happens to be lucky enough to have the 'good paying' job NOT because he's some computer genius. His father owns the repair business!

this isn't self checkout

The items are tallied as you take them and then your credit card is charged automatically you just fill your cart and walk out the door
Yes. That's what I thought. But service jobs have already been replaced somewhat by self. Check out. The Walmart grocery store by my house never has checkers. If they do...it's only during peak hours.

I absolutely refuse to use the self-service checkouts until I have no other option. Damn! I go to the store, look at the produce that's going bad or gone bad, search high and low for something I KNOW was in a certain place in the morning as I did shopping for my person who I'm taking care of and that same night go back to get the same thing for myself ... and it's been moved six or seven aisles over; look at empty or half empty holes on shelves because stock people aren't keeping tabs on what needs to be restocked, pay excessive prices for what I do get ... and then check the shit out myself?? Fruck no! A cashier can check the stuff out for me. Yes, I have to stand in line because only two out of 16 registers are open and a dozen people are standing in those two lines because the front end manager isn't doing their job. Most of the issues are due to poor management.

I leave the grocery store most of the time so damned mad that the steam going off me could cook all the food for me before I even get home.

Well, it seems that technology is finally catching up to the place where computers are literally taking American jobs. Seems that Amazon has come up with a new tech where you scan your phone, walk into the grocery store, take what you want, and the app knows what you've gotten, based on tracking data.

Conceivably, they could have an entire grocery store that only needs 2 or 3 people for the entire place instead of the normal 50 to 100 jobs they would provide normally.

Amazon just opened a grocery store without a checkout line

Now, not only do you need to worry about jobs going overseas, but now you have to worry about service sector jobs being taken over by computers.

One of the many reasons why I despise bezos. The guys an asshole.

Well, it seems that technology is finally catching up to the place where computers are literally taking American jobs. Seems that Amazon has come up with a new tech where you scan your phone, walk into the grocery store, take what you want, and the app knows what you've gotten, based on tracking data.

Conceivably, they could have an entire grocery store that only needs 2 or 3 people for the entire place instead of the normal 50 to 100 jobs they would provide normally.

Amazon just opened a grocery store without a checkout line

Now, not only do you need to worry about jobs going overseas, but now you have to worry about service sector jobs being taken over by computers.

In California the Communists outlawed grocery bags. so they no longer bag your groceries. That means the only thing the checker does is scan the items. But I'm not convinced most people want to scan their own items, the self-serve checkouts are not popular here in the Peoples Republic.

Chicken-Little syndrome. :dunno:

Btw, Obama's president......is this supposed to be Trump's fault or Obama's fault???

Could it possibly be that grocery stores are being regulated out of business???

Could it be that Democrats pushing a $15 minimum-wage are causing this???

Hmmmmmmmmm???

Unionized checkers have been pulling down $45 an hour for decades.

Forum List

Back