Green Agenda Dangerous = CFL bulbs

Fluorescent lamps depend on trace amounts of mercury to operate. Mercury is a toxic substance and consumers should be aware of household products that contain mercury. However, it is important to note that CFLs save 2-10 times more mercury from the environment than they contain by avoiding pollution from coal-fired power plants. The amount in each bulb is not significant enough to pose a health risk in your home.

ACEEE | Lighting

Fluorescent lamps depend on trace amounts of mercury to operate. Mercury is a toxic substance and consumers should be aware of household products that contain mercury. However, it is important to note that CFLs save 2-10 times more mercury from the environment than they contain by avoiding pollution from coal-fired power plants. The amount in each bulb is not significant enough to pose a health risk in your home.

ACEEE | Lighting

Then why aren't they manufactured here?

You green fuckwads slay me.

http://www.ehw.org/AGHC/Fact Sheet on Compact Florescent Light Bulbs.pdf

Can I buy locally produced CFLS?
We are unaware of any CFLs manufactured in the United States. TCP, the supplier EHW uses, which manufactures nearly 1.4 million CFLs every day, including a brand sold at Home Depot, has a distribution facility in Aurora, Ohio outside Cleveland. But TCP manufactures its bulbs in Chinese plants. General Electric, which has incandescent bulb plants in the Youngstown, Ohio area, makes its CFL bulbs in Chinese factories. A 2007 study by Policy Matters Ohio found that Chinese plants routinely violated labor laws, and that many workers at the plant were unaware they were making a product containing toxic mercury. Good bulbs, bad jobs: The workers behind your new compact fluorescent . Union groups have started a campaign to get GE to invest in CFL factories in the US, and in Ohio, called Screw that Bulb. http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/screwthatbulb .

ACEEE | Lighting

If you cannot figure that out I am not even going to try and tell you.
There is a limit to my patience with stupid people.

ACEEE | Lighting

If you cannot figure that out I am not even going to try and tell you.
There is a limit to my patience with stupid people.

That's where I thought your defense of this bullshit would dead end.

Let me help:

http://www.ehw.org/AGHC/Fact Sheet on Compact Florescent Light Bulbs.pdf

Can I buy locally produced CFLS?
We are unaware of any CFLs manufactured in the United States. TCP, the supplier EHW uses, which manufactures nearly 1.4 million CFLs every day, including a brand sold at Home Depot, has a distribution facility in Aurora, Ohio outside Cleveland. But TCP manufactures its bulbs in Chinese plants. General Electric, which has incandescent bulb plants in the Youngstown, Ohio area, makes its CFL bulbs in Chinese factories. A 2007 study by Policy Matters Ohio found that Chinese plants routinely violated labor laws, and that many workers at the plant were unaware they were making a product containing toxic mercury. Good bulbs, bad jobs: The workers behind your new compact fluorescent . Union groups have started a campaign to get GE to invest in CFL factories in the US, and in Ohio, called Screw that Bulb. http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/screwthatbulb .

How should I clean up a broken CFL?
DO NOT USE A VACUUM OR BROOM TO CLEAN UP A BROKEN CFL Have people and pets leave the room, and don't let anyone walk through the breakage area on their way out. Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more. Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system, if you have one. Children, pregnant women and pets should stay away from the area until you complete the cleanup. To clean up the broken CFL use disposable gloves if available (do not use your bare hands). If you do not have disposable gloves, cover your hands with a plastic bag or use a paper towel to protect your hands from broken glass. Carefully scoop up glass pieces and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag. Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder. Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place towels in the glass jar or plastic bag. Do not use a vacuum or broom to clean up the broken bulb on hard surfaces. Immediately place all clean-up materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area for the next normal trash pickup. Check with your local or state government about disposal requirements in your specific area. Some states do not allow such trash disposal. Instead, they require that broken and unbroken mercury-containing bulbs be taken to a local recycling center. Wash your hands after disposing of the jars or plastic bags containing clean-up materials. Ventilate the room to the outdoors for several hours after the clean up, if possible, to ensure mercury vapors have cleared. If available, continue to use a fan to blow air out the window. Keep children and pets away from the spot where the CFL broke for several days.
Additional instructions for breakage on CARPET after initial cleanup following the steps above: If rug is removable, take it outside, shake, and air out as long as practical. After cleanup and the room has been ventilated, the next several times you vacuum, shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system and open a window before vacuuming. Keep the central heating/air conditioning system shut off and the window open for at least 15 minutes after vacuuming is completed. The first time you vacuum the area where the bulb was broken, remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister), and put the bag or vacuum debris in a sealed plastic bag. If the carpet is in an area where young children or pregnant women may be exposed, it is advisable to cut out and replace the section of the carpet where the breakage occurred in order to remove any residual mercury.
Additional instructions for CLOTHING AND BEDDING MATERIALS: If clothing or bedding materials come in direct contact with broken glass or mercury-containing powder from inside the bulb that may stick to the fabric, the clothing or bedding should be thrown away. Do not wash such clothing or bedding because mercury fragments in the clothing may contaminate the machine and/or pollute sewage. You can, however, wash clothing or other materials that have been exposed to the mercury vapor from a broken CFL, such as the clothing you are wearing when you cleaned up the broken CFL, as long as that clothing has not come into direct contact with the materials from the broken bulb. If shoes come into direct contact with broken glass or mercury-containing powder from the bulb, wipe them off with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place the towels or wipes in a glass jar or plastic bag for disposal.
Source: US Environmental Protection Agency (non-italics), Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection, and Vermont Departments of Health and Environmental Conservation (italics).

And when you consider those costs in industrial applications, the amount saved is really big bucks.

What the fuck is your point? Businesses don't need government to tell them that.

But not to the far left k00ks.......................

Thank God that they have been recently marginalized to the point of being irrelevant politically and Thank God that, relatively speaking, they are few in number.

Only the k00ks think that clean-up standards set by the EPA tells the whole story. Thats fascinating to me..........this mind-set that government has the best interests of the public at heart and that the private sector is trying to fcukk you up at every turn. Nothing less than fascinating!!

And when you consider those costs in industrial applications, the amount saved is really big bucks.

So use it by choice, not force.

Where you see force, I see common sense. This is why libertarians, like their counterparts the marxists, should never be allowed to rule. Both philosophies require a change in human nature to work. One assumes that people will work hard without immediate rewards, forgetting that eventually most will not work at all. The other assumes that we will be freer, if all contracts are between individuals only, forgetting that inevitably the strong will prey on the weak. This whole discussion is ludicrous when put on the "liberty" scale. There are a lot more things damaging to our liberty than whining about a light bulb that actually saves 75-80% on electrical costs!

Some years ago when I had a fire at work, I smashed some 30 fluorescent tubes in a corner of the warehouse, shoveled the glass into a trash can, and dumped it unbagged into a trash rolloff; And I have only moderate neurological defects as a result. Don't think you need to worry about that little broken CFL. ;)

Some years ago when I had a fire at work, I smashed some 30 fluorescent tubes in a corner of the warehouse, shoveled the glass into a trash can, and dumped it unbagged into a trash rolloff; And I have only moderate neurological defects as a result. Don't think you need to worry about that little broken CFL. ;)

it's not the one I worry about its the millions that will end up in landfills leeching their poison into the ground that worries me.

And you talk of common sense.

it's not the one I worry about its the millions that will end up in landfills leeching their poison into the ground that worries me.

And you talk of common sense.

Really? Would you describe yourself as overly concerned with other forms of industrial waste?

BTW, I'm not 100% on this, but it appears the energy savings more than offset the potential contamination. Like I said I'm not completely sure, but I'll dig and do the math if at your request. Don't think it would matter to you. Them there enviornmental weirdos want this, so it's stupid, period.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back