Green Agenda Dangerous = CFL bulbs

I made my replacement interior LED assemblies for my vehicles. Cheap I got the LED's 10/$1 I think and a $.05 resistor. The outside ones I just left incandescent.
they work great for maplights, etc but domelights are a bit different because an LED has less diffusion.

I used these.... but I'd love to see a pic of what you built. Heck, I might even like to buy a couple.

Jeep Interior LED Lighting Kit - Jeep LED Interior Light by Roundeyes™ Inc.

This company carries some killer stuff.

I made my replacement interior LED assemblies for my vehicles. Cheap I got the LED's 10/$1 I think and a $.05 resistor. The outside ones I just left incandescent.
they work great for maplights, etc but domelights are a bit different because an LED has less diffusion.

I used these.... but I'd love to see a pic of what you built. Heck, I might even like to buy a couple.

Jeep Interior LED Lighting Kit - Jeep LED Interior Light by Roundeyes™ Inc.

This company carries some killer stuff.

I just soldered them up with some sleeving in the light housings. Look good, and should last longer than the rest of the vehicle.
The directable map lights, ash tray light, underdash, etc.

the dome light I used 3 High intensity leds on a piece of plastic (I epoxied them to the little plastic tube) that would snap in the tubular lamp housing worked pretty well, one was just too crappy and not diffused enough. Just an evenings hobbytime for me.

That sounds awesome. :clap2:

Now one marketable idea is Led replacement bulbs for LV outdoor lighting.
Not built any but would be simple, would require a diode, resistor and led plus a base for each assy. However those little incandescent bulbs seem to sell for around $1 each.

You would just have to get someone to injection mold the little plastic bases for the assys.
Probably around .05 ea in 1k quantities., around .05 for the led and about .025 for the resistor and about .05 for the diode.
I have not priced that kind of thing for around 10 years though.

Last edited:
That sounds awesome. :clap2:

Now one marketable idea is Led replacement bulbs for LV outdoor lighting.
Not built any but would be simple, would require a diode, resistor and led plus a base for each assy. However those little incandescent bulbs seem to sell for around $1 each.

You would just have to get someone to injection mold the little plastic bases for the assys.
Probably around .05 ea in 1k quantities., around .05 for the led and about .025 for the resistor and about .05 for the diode.
I have not priced that kind of thing for around 10 years though.

I was listening to a weekend radio home improvement show (yep, Im a geek) and someone was mentioning that there are folks out there who make high intensity LED outdoor lighting, but its kind of expensive they said, but given some time the price should come down.
I remember about 10-12 yrs ago an HID kit for my Tacoma was around $1,000. I recently did it for under $200
So time will tell, but I do think LEDs are the way to go. Heck, my TV is a LED one.... LG to be exact. I love it!

Reducing energy use is a win win thing.
We spend less, we pollute less and have to spend less on our electrical distribution and generating systems.

Nice to do something before it becomes a crisis for a change.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD:eek::eek:

How easy is it to pick out the people on this forum who have grown up in a thatched cottage???!!!!!!!!

A simple engineering problem to put heat wires around the lights that can be turn on by light sensors.

Pretty silly screw up though. Halogen works. Single step, longer lasting than incandescent.

Halogen are incandescent bulbs. They just have ahlogen gas in them to redeposit the tungsten on the filament to give the bulb longer life.

We know that. They live longer than standard Incandescent and are also more efficient.

Efforts to improve efficiencyDue to the measures noted above, there have been recent efforts to improve the efficiency of incandescents. In 2007 the consumer lighting division of General Electric announced a "high efficiency incandescent" (HEI) lamp project, which they claimed would ultimately be as much as four times more efficient than current incandescents, although their initial production goal was to be approximately two times more efficient.[38][39] The HEI program was quietly terminated in 2008 due to slow progress.[40][41]

U.S. Department of Energy research at Sandia National Laboratories initially indicated the potential for dramatically improved efficiency from a photonic lattice filament.[42][43] However, later work indicated that initially promising results were in error.[44]

Prompted by U.S. legislation mandating increased bulb efficiency by 2012, new "hybrid" incandescent bulbs have been introduced by Philips. The "Halogena Energy Saver" incandescent is 30 percent more efficient than traditional designs, using a special chamber to reflect formerly wasted heat back to the filament to provide additional lighting power.[45]

Halogen lamps
Close-up of a tungsten filament inside a halogen lamp. The two ring-shaped structures left and right are filament supports.Main article: Halogen lamp
The halogen lamp reduces uneven evaporation of the filament and darkening of the envelope by filling the lamp with a halogen gas at low pressure, rather than an inert gas. The halogen cycle increases the lifetime of the bulb and prevents its darkening by redepositing tungsten from the inside of the bulb back onto the filament. The halogen lamp can operate its filament at a higher temperature than a standard gas filled lamp of similar power without loss of operating life.

Incandescent light bulb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Umm it could have a thermostat and only heat when below freezing. Money/energy would still be saved on an annual basis.

Bullshit. The cost of the energy and the technolgy to run the thermostat it wouldn't justify the small savings in energy.

You people are suckers for Rube Goldbergesque solutions to problems that don't exist.

A simple Klixon type of thermostat is about $1 each and require no power to operate.
A digital one would only cost a few bucks and would draw only a couple of ma current in the off condition. Less current than one standard led, not the High intensity types.
I am a certified electronics technician, are you?

Keep the ignorant rant though.
It is somewhat entertaining.

Two more factors in the Maintenance and repair equation.

One thing that is clear from this thread...........we got some people who DEFINATELY should not be parents, ..............ever!!

What is it about the Liberal mind that is not satisfied with living by example? They seem lost without the ability to impose their will on others by force or mandate. They seem to live for the purpose of putting themselves above the rest of us, so they can take pleasure in imposing their will on us. This is a sad reflection. Yes LED's have a place, even CLF's, though I will no longer use CLF's in small unventilated places, nor do I recommend the use of LED's as Traffic Signal Lights, in places that deal with snow and ice at all. They kill people.

A non-existent, government induced crisis.

What crisis would that be? That sort of statement may work with politically myopic, but to the general public, it's whole lot of nothing!

Outlawing Incandescents is not nothing, it's draconian and Totalitarian.

Draconian and totalitarian? Get real. It's just that you don't agree with the underlying reasoning for the change. :cuckoo:

:eusa_think: Lets see..... the LEDs are for saving money.... Oh I know.... lets add some heat to the equation!
Wait..... does'nt that defeat the purpose?

Umm it could have a thermostat and only heat when below freezing. Money/energy would still be saved on an annual basis.

Bullshit. The cost of the energy and the technolgy to run the thermostat it wouldn't justify the small savings in energy.

You people are suckers for Rube Goldbergesque solutions to problems that don't exist.
The truly frightening part if it is that they're serious.:eek:

What crisis would that be? That sort of statement may work with politically myopic, but to the general public, it's whole lot of nothing!

Draconian and totalitarian? Get real. It's just that you don't agree with the underlying reasoning for the change. :cuckoo:

You mean politics ? No---I don't agree with it at all.

Damn I guess we should not have outlawed Leaded Gasoline or DDT.
Damn controlling draconian liberals.

Imangine them actually requiring you to treat your sewage before running it into our drinking water supply roo.

Damn thatched hut liberals. Whatever that means?

And worst of all forcing digital TV on us.

Last edited:
Damn I guess we should not have outlawed Leaded Gasoline or DDT.
Damn controlling draconian liberals.

Imangine them actually requiring you to treat your sewage before running it into our drinking water supply roo.

Damn thatched hut liberals. Whatever that means?

And worst of all forcing digital TV on us.

Incandescent bulbs are killing us ?:eusa_eh:

It's clear that you don't agree with the underlying concept of Individual Liberty which is the basis of much of the Constitution.

Are incandescent bulbs going to banned/not made/not available starting next year?

Can the manufacturers 're-group' and sell incandescents as 'small heaters'? I read that they did that I think over in the U.K. to get around the ban.

What happens when a clutz like me knocks over an entire display of those freakin' curly light bulbs in the store? Will the store shut down for a week while they air it out?

New Topics

Forum List

Back