Better watch out, better not cry....

I know that it's required that you guys hate anything the government does, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is about incandescent bulbs that you guys care so much about.

What possible reason could you have to "stockpile" incandescent bulbs, other than petulance?

I can't for the life of me figure out whay you care so much about how other people feel about incandescent light bulbs.

Have you suffered from such obsessions before? Or is this the first time for you?

You realize this is a political message board, right?

Asking people to defend their ridiculous opinions is the whole point.

I know that it's required that you guys hate anything the government does, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is about incandescent bulbs that you guys care so much about.

What possible reason could you have to "stockpile" incandescent bulbs, other than petulance?

Incandescent bulbs bring out the green color of my eyes almost as well as sunlight. Under fluorescent lighting, my eyes look like a washed out blueish color instead of the striking green that they actually are.
Trust me on this, women find my green eyes extremely attractive, when they actually get to notice them because I'm not in some crappy fluorescent lighting situation.

The color temperature of CFL lightbulbs (at least good ones) is closer to sunlight than incandescent lightbulbs.

Question....Why would any reasonably intelligent person support a government that screws up 100% of what it gets its hands on?

Are you under the impression that your response has anything to do with what I said?

It doesn't seem to.

Incandescent bulbs bring out the green color of my eyes almost as well as sunlight. Under fluorescent lighting, my eyes look like a washed out blueish color instead of the striking green that they actually are.
Trust me on this, women find my green eyes extremely attractive, when they actually get to notice them because I'm not in some crappy fluorescent lighting situation.

The color temperature of CFL lightbulbs (at least good ones) is closer to sunlight than incandescent lightbulbs.
Then obviously, where I work, where I shop and where I visit all use crappy CFL bulbs.

their spectrum is more natural for the human eye and causes less headaches and eye problems.

plus they are simply BRIGHTER

their spectrum is more natural for the human eye and causes less headaches and eye problems.

plus they are simply BRIGHTER

Neither of those things are universally true.

So, I found this,

Color Temperature and light sources
Color temperature Light source
10,000 Clear sky
9,000 Hazy sky
7,000 Cloudy sky
6,000 Flash lamp
4,500 White fluorescent lamp
3,500 500-W tungsten lamp
3,000 Sunrise, sunset
2,500 100-W light bulb
1,000 Candlelight

Oddly enough, even though candlelight is listed at the lowest color temperature (in this example), my eyes are green under candlelight. Just like sunlight and incandescent light, but not fluorescent lighting. I don't know enough about the science to say why that is, I just know that it is. And maybe it is just my eyes, not everybody else that has green eyes.

True story, last January I was visiting my family and staying with my sister. My sister has replaced all her light bulbs with CFL's. So, the second night I am there, my sister looks at me with kind of confused look on her face. She says to me, "When we were kids, your eyes were always green or grey, depending on the colors around you. I was always jealous of those beautiful green eyes, when did they turn blue? ". I told her it was the CFL lighting she had. The next morning we went outside in the CA sunlight and I told her to look at my eyes now. They were green.
Yes, I mentioned grey. If I am surrounded by dark colors, my eyes look grey, otherwise they are green. Except under fluorescent lighting, then they are blue.

Because the compact CFL's are 1. very expensive 2. cannot be turned off then on immediately without damaging them. 3. do not last any longer than incandescent bulbs. 4. contain Mercury and according to EPA regs, if broken inside a home, a HAZMAT team from local authority must be called in to do the cleanup. 5. The federal government has again picked winners and losers. 6. has created in effect a "tax". Yes by mandating these more expensive bulbs, has created a "Lighting tax".

CFL's will not last. As the cost of LED's comes down and falls below that of CFL's, the federal pet lights will disappear..
LED's use far less energy than both CFL's and Incandescent, last FAR longer, are non toxic if broken and produce light far brighter and useful.
CFL's SUCK....And the federal government deserves to have these stupid things shove clear up their collective ass.

There is no "mandate" to use CFLs. You are more than welcome to light your house with LED bulbs, or any other sort of bulb. Incandescents are simply no longer going to be sold in this country.

In terms of your other claims:

1. A 4-pack of 60W-equivalent CFL bulbs is $3 at the store near my house. That's not "very expensive".

2. Never heard of this one before, and I've been using CFLs for nearly 20 years.

3. Completely false, they last 5-10 times longer.

4. They contain less mercury than an old-fashioned thermometer, and in no way does a broken CFL require a HAZMAT team to clean up.

5. The "winners" and "losers" argument doesn't make sense here. We're not talking about economics.

6. Calling everything a "tax" makes you look like an idiot. Words have meanings.

The 40 watt and 60 watt incandescent light bulb will be illegal as of Jan. 1st.

Cree Ushers In The End Of The Incandescent Lightbulb - Forbes

Say goodbye to the 60-watt incandescent bulb. This year manufacturers started phasing out 100w and 75w bulbs. On January 1 it will become illegal to import or manufacture traditional 60w and 40w bulbs too. Time to stock up? Not so fast. First, check out Cree’s energy-sipping new 75-watt replacement bulb.

I used to be outraged over the federal government’s draconian moves to outlaw traditional lightbulbs. For 100 years we’ve lived and thrived under the warm glow of incandescent lightbulbs. Aside from the fact that 90% of the electricity used by the bulbs is radiated in the form of heat rather than light, these glass orbs are a perfect invention. So perfect that a lightbulb symbolizes a good idea. How dare Big Brother force manufacturers to stop making these bulbs!

For years the alternatives to incandescent bulbs were terrible. Compact fluorescents flicker, give me headaches and make everyone look like zombies. When they break you practically need to call in a haz-mat team to clean them up because of the mercury inside. Never had to do that an old Edison bulb. I have a bucket full of CFLs that work perfectly well, but that I refuse to use. I would toss them in the trash if not for the toxic chemicals inside.

Early LED bulbs weren’t a good replacement either. LED’s are directional light sources (kind of like weak lasers), so LED bulbs didn’t give off the same omnidirectional glow that incandescents do. And early attempts to replicate Edison bulbs with LEDs were crazy expensive and looked like Doctor Who’s robot arch enemies the Daleks.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to stock up on 40s and 60s, for all my stain glassed lamps. The new ones won't work on some of my lamps. They are so large they touch the stained glass. :(

Incandescents are simply no longer going to be sold in this country.

You wish!

They'll be sold.

And at immense profit to the sellers who'll hire "mules" to carry them in backpacks as they sneak past what should be America's borders. Mexico is now the world's largest producer of incandescent lamps. Producing enough for every man, woman and child in Mexico to get 127 of them each year. You really think they piss through them that quickly?

So, I found this,

Color Temperature and light sources
Color temperature Light source
10,000 Clear sky
9,000 Hazy sky
7,000 Cloudy sky
6,000 Flash lamp
4,500 White fluorescent lamp
3,500 500-W tungsten lamp
3,000 Sunrise, sunset
2,500 100-W light bulb
1,000 Candlelight

Oddly enough, even though candlelight is listed at the lowest color temperature (in this example), my eyes are green under candlelight. Just like sunlight and incandescent light, but not fluorescent lighting. I don't know enough about the science to say why that is, I just know that it is. And maybe it is just my eyes, not everybody else that has green eyes.

True story, last January I was visiting my family and staying with my sister. My sister has replaced all her light bulbs with CFL's. So, the second night I am there, my sister looks at me with kind of confused look on her face. She says to me, "When we were kids, your eyes were always green or grey, depending on the colors around you. I was always jealous of those beautiful green eyes, when did they turn blue? ". I told her it was the CFL lighting she had. The next morning we went outside in the CA sunlight and I told her to look at my eyes now. They were green.
Yes, I mentioned grey. If I am surrounded by dark colors, my eyes look grey, otherwise they are green. Except under fluorescent lighting, then they are blue.

Eyes are weird that way.

And color temperature is weird, too.

If you have ever read the hazmat laws defining the way to throw away these 'obamabulbs' you will see that it is intricate and costly and time consuming. These bulbs have a mercury based gas that they claim will do harm if inhaled or if you drop the bulb and it breaks you can get extremely sick from cutting yourself with the shards. These bulbs do not last as long as advertised and their light is (IMO) weaker. They will cost more. If you add all of those negatives together you can see why a POS like Obama's would jump at the chance of forcing it on us. That fake president is a wannabe dictator.

The disposal is actually quite simple: bring them to Home Depot, Lowe's, or Staples.

Note: I have had to replace TWO in ten years, and one of those was killed by a power surge.

Last edited:
Incandescents are simply no longer going to be sold in this country.

You wish!

They'll be sold.

And at immense profit to the sellers who'll hire "mules" to carry them in backpacks as they sneak past what should be America's borders. Mexico is now the world's largest producer of incandescent lamps. Producing enough for every man, woman and child in Mexico to get 127 of them each year. You really think they piss through them that quickly?

Are you really expecting a significant amount of black market lightbulbs becoming available?

If you have ever read the hazmat laws defining the way to throw away these 'obamabulbs' you will see that it is intricate and costly and time consuming. These bulbs have a mercury based gas that they claim will do harm if inhaled or if you drop the bulb and it breaks you can get extremely sick from cutting yourself with the shards. These bulbs do not last as long as advertised and their light is (IMO) weaker. They will cost more. If you add all of those negatives together you can see why a POS like Obama's would jump at the chance of forcing it on us. That fake president is a wannabe dictator.

The disposal is actually quite simple: brine them to Home Depot, Lowe's, or Staples.

Note: I have had to replace TWO in ten years, and one of those was killed by a power surge.

Brining also improves the flavor of chicken and pork. :thup:

The disposal is actually quite simple: brine them to Home Depot, Lowe's, or Staples.

Brining also improves the flavor of chicken and pork. :thup:

Turkey, too.

Then buy the right CFL's. There are daylight-spectrum CFL's...much better than the sickly yellow light of a typical incandescent. (Personally, I prefer the slightly bluish light of a cool white CFL.)

Then obviously, where I work, where I shop and where I visit all use crappy CFL bulbs.

Most commercial bulbs (and many CFL's) are cool-white, not daylight spectrum.

The 40 watt and 60 watt incandescent light bulb will be illegal as of Jan. 1st.

Cree Ushers In The End Of The Incandescent Lightbulb - Forbes

Say goodbye to the 60-watt incandescent bulb. This year manufacturers started phasing out 100w and 75w bulbs. On January 1 it will become illegal to import or manufacture traditional 60w and 40w bulbs too. Time to stock up? Not so fast. First, check out Cree’s energy-sipping new 75-watt replacement bulb.

I used to be outraged over the federal government’s draconian moves to outlaw traditional lightbulbs. For 100 years we’ve lived and thrived under the warm glow of incandescent lightbulbs. Aside from the fact that 90% of the electricity used by the bulbs is radiated in the form of heat rather than light, these glass orbs are a perfect invention. So perfect that a lightbulb symbolizes a good idea. How dare Big Brother force manufacturers to stop making these bulbs!

For years the alternatives to incandescent bulbs were terrible. Compact fluorescents flicker, give me headaches and make everyone look like zombies. When they break you practically need to call in a haz-mat team to clean them up because of the mercury inside. Never had to do that an old Edison bulb. I have a bucket full of CFLs that work perfectly well, but that I refuse to use. I would toss them in the trash if not for the toxic chemicals inside.

Early LED bulbs weren’t a good replacement either. LED’s are directional light sources (kind of like weak lasers), so LED bulbs didn’t give off the same omnidirectional glow that incandescents do. And early attempts to replicate Edison bulbs with LEDs were crazy expensive and looked like Doctor Who’s robot arch enemies the Daleks.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to stock up on 40s and 60s, for all my stain glassed lamps. The new ones won't work on some of my lamps. They are so large they touch the stained glass. :(

There are plenty of CFL's that use the exact same space as an incandescent bulb. Wal-Mart & Target sell them.

Forum List

Back