Better watch out, better not cry....

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
The 40 watt and 60 watt incandescent light bulb will be illegal as of Jan. 1st.

Cree Ushers In The End Of The Incandescent Lightbulb - Forbes

Say goodbye to the 60-watt incandescent bulb. This year manufacturers started phasing out 100w and 75w bulbs. On January 1 it will become illegal to import or manufacture traditional 60w and 40w bulbs too. Time to stock up? Not so fast. First, check out Cree’s energy-sipping new 75-watt replacement bulb.

I used to be outraged over the federal government’s draconian moves to outlaw traditional lightbulbs. For 100 years we’ve lived and thrived under the warm glow of incandescent lightbulbs. Aside from the fact that 90% of the electricity used by the bulbs is radiated in the form of heat rather than light, these glass orbs are a perfect invention. So perfect that a lightbulb symbolizes a good idea. How dare Big Brother force manufacturers to stop making these bulbs!

For years the alternatives to incandescent bulbs were terrible. Compact fluorescents flicker, give me headaches and make everyone look like zombies. When they break you practically need to call in a haz-mat team to clean them up because of the mercury inside. Never had to do that an old Edison bulb. I have a bucket full of CFLs that work perfectly well, but that I refuse to use. I would toss them in the trash if not for the toxic chemicals inside.

Early LED bulbs weren’t a good replacement either. LED’s are directional light sources (kind of like weak lasers), so LED bulbs didn’t give off the same omnidirectional glow that incandescents do. And early attempts to replicate Edison bulbs with LEDs were crazy expensive and looked like Doctor Who’s robot arch enemies the Daleks.

A Federal ban on the most common kinds of light bulbs, will take effect on Jan. 1, 2014.

It's not at all clear where the Fed govt gets the authority to ban certain light bulbs. But lack of constitutional authority has never stopped them on other regulation such as toilet sizes, health insurance, etc. Now they're doing it even more.

-------------------------------------------------------

Light bulb ban set to take effect - Dec. 13, 2013

Light bulb ban set to take effect

by Steve Hargreaves
December 13, 2013: 10:50 AM ET

New rules mean that traditional 40 and 60-watt incandescent bulbs won't be made after the start of the year, despite efforts by tea party types to thwart the law.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

Light bulb manufacturers will cease making traditional 40 and 60-watt light bulbs -- the most popular in the country -- at the start of 2014.

This comes after the controversial phasing out of incandescent 75 and 100-watt light bulbs at the beginning of 2013.

This became law under the Chimp President Bush. It was slid in under the cover of darkness (pun intended) without anyone outside of DC and the light bulb industry noticing.

My family has about fifteen to twenty years of incandescent bulbs stored and we hope that common sense prevails in the interim and someone in DC gets a set of balls and overturns this atrocity.

Good I will go out of my way to buy some of the illegal ones. I also took the damn water stopper thing out of my shower head to make it push water out harder. Feels so good getting a nice hot shower with the water beating your sore muscles.

I don't think I have a single incandescent bulb in the entire house.

I have five lamps with incandenscent bulbs. I have a big stockpile of incandescents.

The ceiling lights, wall sconces, and track lights are all CFLs. I leave a lot of the CFLs burning 24/7 because they take so long to reach full brightness. So I am not sure I am saving energy.

I know that it's required that you guys hate anything the government does, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is about incandescent bulbs that you guys care so much about.

What possible reason could you have to "stockpile" incandescent bulbs, other than petulance?

You might still be able to find them if you are willing to travel to South Carolina.
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess119_2011-2012/bills/3735.htm
snip,
TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING CHAPTER 12 TO TITLE 39 TO ENACT THE "SOUTH CAROLINA INCANDESCENT LIGHT BULB FREEDOM ACT" SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT INCANDESCENT LIGHT BULBS MANUFACTURED IN THIS STATE, WITHOUT SIGNIFICANT PARTS IMPORTED FROM ANOTHER STATE, AND OFFERED FOR SALE AND SOLD FOR USE ONLY IN THIS STATE ARE DEEMED ONLY TO BE IN THE STREAM OF INTRASTATE COMMERCE AND THEREFORE NOT SUBJECT TO FEDERAL REGULATION UNDER THE COMMERCE CLAUSE OF THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION.
Just make sure you tell them the use will only be in South Carolina.

If you have ever read the hazmat laws defining the way to throw away these 'obamabulbs' you will see that it is intricate and costly and time consuming. These bulbs have a mercury based gas that they claim will do harm if inhaled or if you drop the bulb and it breaks you can get extremely sick from cutting yourself with the shards. These bulbs do not last as long as advertised and their light is (IMO) weaker. They will cost more. If you add all of those negatives together you can see why a POS like Obama's would jump at the chance of forcing it on us. That fake president is a wannabe dictator.

I somehow got on my utility's mailing list for free CFL bulbs. One postcard comes to the office, the other to our house. Each year they mail me a dozen free CFL's or if I choose, 3 CFL's and 3 LED's.

For freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I know that it's required that you guys hate anything the government does, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is about incandescent bulbs that you guys care so much about.

What possible reason could you have to "stockpile" incandescent bulbs, other than petulance?

I can't for the life of me figure out whay you care so much about how other people feel about incandescent light bulbs.

Have you suffered from such obsessions before? Or is this the first time for you?

Because the compact CFL's are 1. very expensive 2. cannot be turned off then on immediately without damaging them. 3. do not last any longer than incandescent bulbs. 4. contain Mercury and according to EPA regs, if broken inside a home, a HAZMAT team from local authority must be called in to do the cleanup. 5. The federal government has again picked winners and losers. 6. has created in effect a "tax". Yes by mandating these more expensive bulbs, has created a "Lighting tax".

CFL's will not last. As the cost of LED's comes down and falls below that of CFL's, the federal pet lights will disappear..
LED's use far less energy than both CFL's and Incandescent, last FAR longer, are non toxic if broken and produce light far brighter and useful.
CFL's SUCK....And the federal government deserves to have these stupid things shove clear up their collective ass.

Question....Why would any reasonably intelligent person support a government that screws up 100% of what it gets its hands on?

Incandescent bulbs bring out the green color of my eyes almost as well as sunlight. Under fluorescent lighting, my eyes look like a washed out blueish color instead of the striking green that they actually are.
Trust me on this, women find my green eyes extremely attractive, when they actually get to notice them because I'm not in some crappy fluorescent lighting situation.

Forum List

Back