"Governor signs bill mandating sex ed in schools across California"

Governor signs bill mandating sex ed in schools across California

"Individual parents can opt out, but schools cannot.

The law ensures not only that school districts offer sex education, but that they teach a comprehensive curriculum that includes abstinence, a range of contraceptives, issues related to sexuality and gender identity as well as “an objective discussion of all legally available pregnancy outcomes, including, but not limited to, parenting, adoption and abortion.”

The new law combines the previously required curriculum on HIV/AIDS prevention and sex education into one required set of knowledge and skills kids should be taught before the end of eighth grade, and one they should be taught before the end of high school.

Districts can start offering the curriculum in seventh grade.

“Our schools are a critical environment for providing young people with the knowledge and skills that they will need to protect their sexual health,” said the bill’s author, Assemblywoman Shirley Weber, D-San Diego, in a statement. “This is about empowering all young men and women — whatever their orientation or gender — to make the healthiest decisions possible.”

Weber’s measure also requires the curriculum to “affirmatively recognize that people have different sexual orientations and, when discussing or providing examples of relationships and couples, shall be inclusive of same-sex relationships.”

“This legislation ensures that all students have access to medically accurate and unbiased sexual health education,” said state Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson in a statement. “By affirmatively recognizing that people have different sexual orientations and teaching pupils about gender identity, LGBTQ youth will be safer in school.”"

Thank goodness the part about 'medically accurate' info. Some states don't require the sex-ed be medically accurate. Always imagine something like "the man inserts his penis into the woman's cloiaca..." :)

The children won't be able to read and write, but they'll be able to suck and fuck.

Yes. Just a few months ago they caught some seventh graders having oral sex at school in the classroom when the teacher had to leave for a few minutes.
Really, where was that? Link?

Sex education which teaches abstinence is the most successful type of sex education, which reduces STDs, teenage pregnancies etc.

Abstinence only programs are the least successful, they lead to the highest levels of STDs and teenage pregnancies.

Ya, the parents of Cali are too stupid to teach their own kids... Or I should say the lack of parental caring.

Let the schools indoctrinate a state full of a$$ hats... They deserve it.

They should offer this class to all US schools not just in California. What made you think this is not a problem in other states? Highest teen pregnancy is New Mexico..... followed by Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Oklahoma. California is ranked #25 I think. Educate kids about sex education so babies don't end up in welfare is a good idea.

It is the lack of personal responsibility and the government that has put not only kids but a lot of adults on welfare. I'm an adult. I was a teenager. I am a father and a grandfather. I have never been on any form of welfare. I'm not a "victim".

I understand being a grandfather myself like you but there are others that falls into different kind of standard.

The law ensures not only that school districts offer sex education, but that they teach a comprehensive curriculum that includes abstinence, a range of contraceptives, issues related to sexuality and gender identity as well as “an objective discussion of all legally available pregnancy outcomes, including, but not limited to, parenting, adoption and abortion.”

The new law combines the previously required curriculum on HIV/AIDS prevention and sex education into one required set of knowledge and skills kids should be taught before the end of eighth grade, and one they should be taught before the end of high school.

“Our schools are a critical environment for providing young people with the knowledge and skills that they will need to protect their sexual health,” said the bill’s author, Assemblywoman Shirley Weber, D-San Diego, in a statement. “This is about empowering all young men and women — whatever their orientation or gender — to make the healthiest decisions possible.”

Weber’s measure also requires the curriculum to “affirmatively recognize that people have different sexual orientations and, when discussing or providing examples of relationships and couples, shall be inclusive of same-sex relationships.”

“This legislation ensures that all students have access to medically accurate and unbiased sexual health education,” said state Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson in a statement. “By affirmatively recognizing that people have different sexual orientations and teaching pupils about gender identity, LGBTQ youth will be safer in school.”"

Thank goodness the part about 'medically accurate' info. Some states don't require the sex-ed be medically accurate. Always imagine something like "the man inserts his penis into the woman's cloiaca..." :)

The children won't be able to read and write, but they'll be able to suck and fuck.

Yes. Just a few months ago they caught some seventh graders having oral sex at school in the classroom when the teacher had to leave for a few minutes.

Another Liberal that can't use the search field? I didn't find that one because I didn't want to spend the time for you but here's one you can chew on:

3rd Graders Allegedly Have Oral Sex In Classroom

Sex education which teaches abstinence is the most successful type of sex education, which reduces STDs, teenage pregnancies etc.

Abstinence only programs are the least successful, they lead to the highest levels of STDs and teenage pregnancies.

Ya, the parents of Cali are too stupid to teach their own kids... Or I should say the lack of parental caring.

Let the schools indoctrinate a state full of a$$ hats... They deserve it.

They should offer this class to all US schools not just in California. What made you think this is not a problem in other states? Highest teen pregnancy is New Mexico..... followed by Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Oklahoma. California is ranked #25 I think. Educate kids about sex education so babies don't end up in welfare is a good idea.

It is the lack of personal responsibility and the government that has put not only kids but a lot of adults on welfare. I'm an adult. I was a teenager. I am a father and a grandfather. I have never been on any form of welfare. I'm not a "victim".

I understand being a grandfather myself like you but there are others that falls into different kind of standard.

You mean "NO STANDARD", correct?

There are people experiences will never have a link. It doesn't have link that doesn't mean it did not happen.

Just say no to sex worked so well for their parents, many of whom got pregnant before marriage.

Hormones can & will overwhelm even the most highly educated among us.
It's the wrong message to send our kids that they can't control their behavior. We should be encouraging self restraint and telling kids abstinence is possible and beneficial. Kids respond to positive adult leadership just like they do the cynicism of fated acquiescence.

Apparently kids are a lot more stupid now than they were 50 or more years ago. When I was in the eighth grade, we knew all about sex without any classes on the subject.
Yes, but you were not informed that you could choose your sexual orientation and they're all equally acceptable or that you could decide you're really a woman. You were also deprived of instructions on proper masturbation techniques and anal fisting. I don't know how you survived with such an incomplete syllabus.

That is true. Even my high school biology class failed in those regards. I had a hard, and I do emphasize the word "hard" enough time with the mini-skirts and the tight sweaters.
You surely must have been a late bloomer, or more likely, you didn't know what the hell to do with it. We pretty much had it figured out by halfway through the first six weeks of 7th grade.

Well, I learned quite a bit when I was twelve from a fourteen year old girl down the road from me.

That makes you a rapist! Are you proud to be one?

Apparently kids are a lot more stupid now than they were 50 or more years ago. When I was in the eighth grade, we knew all about sex without any classes on the subject.
Yes, but you were not informed that you could choose your sexual orientation and they're all equally acceptable or that you could decide you're really a woman. You were also deprived of instructions on proper masturbation techniques and anal fisting. I don't know how you survived with such an incomplete syllabus.

That is true. Even my high school biology class failed in those regards. I had a hard, and I do emphasize the word "hard" enough time with the mini-skirts and the tight sweaters.
You surely must have been a late bloomer, or more likely, you didn't know what the hell to do with it. We pretty much had it figured out by halfway through the first six weeks of 7th grade.

Well, I learned quite a bit when I was twelve from a fourteen year old girl down the road from me.

Of course it does. Two under-aged kids. You need to read the law.

Of course it does. Two under-aged kids. You need to read the law.

The law has changed. Once upon a time, when the moron I called a rapist was a teen, only the male child was charged with statutory rape. Today both children are charged.

Nice try, too bad your ignorance has been exposed to those of us informed. In fact when he committed that act he bragged about, he was a rapist.

So you get shitty parents, and you're screwed in life because no one else is going to teach you, right?

Or maybe the country is in a shitty shape because the right demands all parents be good parents and teach their kids everything there is, but this doesn't happen, so schools don't do it either, and then it all goes wrong.

You can't make parents do it, but you can make schools do it. So there's only ONE solution and you decide to tell everyone not to do this solution because it's better that parents do something, when clearly it isn't, because it doesn't work.

Great
Well make it a choice than... Indoctrination is second nature to any government.
The good parents can do their duty and enthusiastically will, the bad parents can let some stranger indoctrinate their kids.

But, make it a choice for gods sake.

So parents teach kids and it's okay, schools teach the same thing and it's indoctrination. Hmmm.

But then again even if it's indoctrination (it's not usually) they're less likely to get STDs and be teenage parents. I'd say that kind of indoctrination is worth it, wouldn't you?

If you read the OP it says parents do have the choice.

Firstly, they have the choice to not send their kids to school.
Secondly they have the choice to take them out of sex ed.

Is that not enough choice for you?
There again, it should be a choice. Mandatory and choice are two different words, is that hard for you?

If the parents what the school to do the parenting, fine.
But, good parents want that responsibility all their own and want just basics taught and leave it at that.
And don't want do gooder teachers, schools and politicians meddling in their duty.

Again, did I point out that there is choice. It is MANDATORY for schools, not for kids or parents.
There again you missed the point, it's a waste of money.

Teachers make for really sh!tty parents of other people's kids... Indoctrination is always second nature.

Thus, the waste of others money, leading unbearable taxes, leading to a failing country.

A waste of money? Stopping kids from getting STDs is a waste of money? Stopping kids getting pregnant is a waste of money?

I think you're totally wrong. The impact of teenage pregnancies can often cost more than simple sex ed classes.

Teachers might make shitty parents of other people's kids. But sometimes they make better parent than the parents these kids have. Also, we're not talking about them being parents. We're talking about them being educators. Teachers can compliment parents when it comes to teaching.

My parents would never have told me anything about sex ed. They're not that sort of people. So many others are the same.

You seem happy for people to walk through life in ignorance.

It doesn't matter what I was or wasn't. The point being that there are kids out there who aren't in the know about these things. There are those who appear younger than their age, who aren't in a hurry to be an adult, get a pension and die.

Your point was that ALL kids knew, I bet this isn't true. Probably that those who didn't know you just put a label of "weird" on them and ignore them.

Probably so. And they were weird.

Anything wrong with being weird? I find normal people spend their whole time thinking about how they can fit in, and they're never comfortable in their own skin. Weird people learn quicker how to live with themselves and relax. Most normal people turn to drink to get through their normalness.
Weird leads to confusion...
See: Bruce Jenner

Weird only leads to confusion in idiots. I'm sure Jenner doesn't have a problem, it's only idiots, bigots, etc who have a problem with Jenner.

Maybe if these people looked at themselves a little more, instead of criticising others, then they'd be comfortable in their own skins. As it is they try and put people down in an attempt at making themselves rise, feel more important, feel good about themselves.

Thank fuck I'm not someone who feels uncomfortable in their own skin, hey?
It's really hard say Bruce Jenner is any thing other than freak, he has changed his mind of what he is two or three times. Earth to Bruce you are what you were born... Look it's physically obvious dumb a$$.
Thus, the confusion...

So... people shouldn't change their mind?

Maybe you should look at yourself before judging others.

Abstinence only programs are fine, so long as said program includes sex education. Anything less is no education at all.

Abstinence only programs don't include sex education, that's the problem.

Well make it a choice than... Indoctrination is second nature to any government.
The good parents can do their duty and enthusiastically will, the bad parents can let some stranger indoctrinate their kids.

So parents teach kids and it's okay, schools teach the same thing and it's indoctrination. Hmmm.

But then again even if it's indoctrination (it's not usually) they're less likely to get STDs and be teenage parents. I'd say that kind of indoctrination is worth it, wouldn't you?

There again, it should be a choice. Mandatory and choice are two different words, is that hard for you?

But, good parents want that responsibility all their own and want just basics taught and leave it at that.
And don't want do gooder teachers, schools and politicians meddling in their duty.

Again, did I point out that there is choice. It is MANDATORY for schools, not for kids or parents.
There again you missed the point, it's a waste of money.

Teachers make for really sh!tty parents of other people's kids... Indoctrination is always second nature.

Thus, the waste of others money, leading unbearable taxes, leading to a failing country.

A waste of money? Stopping kids from getting STDs is a waste of money? Stopping kids getting pregnant is a waste of money?

I think you're totally wrong. The impact of teenage pregnancies can often cost more than simple sex ed classes.

Teachers might make shitty parents of other people's kids. But sometimes they make better parent than the parents these kids have. Also, we're not talking about them being parents. We're talking about them being educators. Teachers can compliment parents when it comes to teaching.

My parents would never have told me anything about sex ed. They're not that sort of people. So many others are the same.

You seem happy for people to walk through life in ignorance.
Even if you believe it's a good idea, it becomes something very ugly when everyone is forced to do it. It seems you Leftists never let ideas sink or swim on their own merits; you have to make everyone do what you think is best. That's evil.

Probably so. And they were weird.

Anything wrong with being weird? I find normal people spend their whole time thinking about how they can fit in, and they're never comfortable in their own skin. Weird people learn quicker how to live with themselves and relax. Most normal people turn to drink to get through their normalness.

Weird only leads to confusion in idiots. I'm sure Jenner doesn't have a problem, it's only idiots, bigots, etc who have a problem with Jenner.

Maybe if these people looked at themselves a little more, instead of criticising others, then they'd be comfortable in their own skins. As it is they try and put people down in an attempt at making themselves rise, feel more important, feel good about themselves.

It's really hard say Bruce Jenner is any thing other than freak, he has changed his mind of what he is two or three times. Earth to Bruce you are what you were born... Look it's physically obvious dumb a$$.
Thus, the confusion...

You keep covering for wacky trannys... Because it looks so good on you.

Too stupid to breath

Sh!tty parents are a dime a dozen... It's called too lazy to care.

That is the root of why the country is in such sh!tty shape.

So you get shitty parents, and you're screwed in life because no one else is going to teach you, right?

Or maybe the country is in a shitty shape because the right demands all parents be good parents and teach their kids everything there is, but this doesn't happen, so schools don't do it either, and then it all goes wrong.

You can't make parents do it, but you can make schools do it. So there's only ONE solution and you decide to tell everyone not to do this solution because it's better that parents do something, when clearly it isn't, because it doesn't work.

Great

I agree. It appears to me that all these folks want is the government to everything for them and assume all their personal responsibilities for them.

Rubbish. All people want is a decent education for all. Not a "you won't get STDs if you're lucky and your parents are one of the few parents who actually teach their kids about sex".

You seem to think that all education should be carried out by the parents. You're going back to the 1800s here. We're way beyond that in terms of development, well, I should say MANY people are way beyond that, some people need to move to Amish country.

Abstinence only programs are fine, so long as said program includes sex education. Anything less is no education at all.

Really? Abstinence advocates don't teach kids about the plumbing down there?

Or did you just tell a lie?

Thus, the confusion...

Too stupid to breath

You're just one of those people who need to insult and bully people in order to make yourself feel better about yourself.

It's not your fault. Really it isn't. But I do feel sorry for yourself that you feel so uncomfortable in yourself that you have to resort to being a complete and utter asshole in order to make yourself feel better about yourself.

Thus, the confusion...

Too stupid to breath

You're just one of those people who need to insult and bully people in order to make yourself feel better about yourself.

It's not your fault. Really it isn't. But I do feel sorry for yourself that you feel so uncomfortable in yourself that you have to resort to being a complete and utter asshole in order to make yourself feel better about yourself.

Stop bleeding all over the thread.

Great

I agree. It appears to me that all these folks want is the government to everything for them and assume all their personal responsibilities for them.

Rubbish. All people want is a decent education for all. Not a "you won't get STDs if you're lucky and your parents are one of the few parents who actually teach their kids about sex".

You seem to think that all education should be carried out by the parents. You're going back to the 1800s here. We're way beyond that in terms of development, well, I should say MANY people are way beyond that, some people need to move to Amish country.
The fact remains, teachers make for really sh!tty parents of other people's kids.

Lazy parents = misbehaved kids

Really? Abstinence advocates don't teach kids about the plumbing down there?

Or did you just tell a lie?

We're talking about the difference between Abstinence only programs verses programs with abstinence and sex education. Can you understand that? It's not abstinence only, if you're teaching other stuff.

Effective Sex Education

"No abstinence-only-until-marriage program has been shown to help teens delay the initiation of sex or to protect themselves when they do initiate sex."

"
Abstinence-Only Programs Are Dangerous, Ineffective, and Inaccurate."

"Pledge-takers were less likely to seek STI testing and less likely to use contraception when they did have sex."

"Evaluations of the effectiveness of state-funded abstinence-only-until-marriage programs found no delay in first sex. In fact, of six evaluations that assessed short-term changes in behavior, three found no changes, two found increased sexual activity from pre- to post-test, and one showed mixed results. Five evaluations looked for but found no long-term impact in reducing teens’ sexual activity."

"Analysis of data from Youth Risk Behavior surveys found that sexual activity among high school youth declined significantly from 1991 to 1997, prior to large-scale funding of abstinence-only-until-marriage programs, but changed little from 1999 to 2003 with federal funding of such programs."

Abstinence vs. Sex Ed.

"Assembled in the auditorium of Mackenzie Junior High School in Lubbock, Texas, 15-year-old John Karras -- and the other students who returned a parental permission slip -- sat quietly while a guest speaker discussed S-E-X. "The speaker talked about some things that your parents and teachers wouldn't be comfortable talking about,""

This is part of the issue, many parents simply aren't comfortable talking about sex with their kids.

"This take on sex education is known among educators as the "abstinence-only approach," in which totally refraining from sex outside of marriage (includingmasturbation) is generally the only option presented to students."

Abstinence only is ABSTINENCE ONLY, funnily enough.

The weird thing here is, those who are unwilling to look at the statistics, to inform themselves of the debate, are the ones who are willing to see teenagers get STDs and become teenage parents.

Lack of education breeds lack of education. Hence why schools, which is about education, need to take on this task to stop the cycle of ignorance.

Forum List

Back