"Governor signs bill mandating sex ed in schools across California"

Well, I don't know where you're from but you're certainly not like any of the guys I grew up with.

Well, maybe you didn't talk to people like me.

Sounds like that may have been your problem. The guys didn't associate with you. You were "strange".

It doesn't matter what I was or wasn't. The point being that there are kids out there who aren't in the know about these things. There are those who appear younger than their age, who aren't in a hurry to be an adult, get a pension and die.

Your point was that ALL kids knew, I bet this isn't true. Probably that those who didn't know you just put a label of "weird" on them and ignore them.

Probably so. And they were weird.

Anything wrong with being weird? I find normal people spend their whole time thinking about how they can fit in, and they're never comfortable in their own skin. Weird people learn quicker how to live with themselves and relax. Most normal people turn to drink to get through their normalness.

Well, you admitted you were an oddity. Apparently you still are if you actually believe your own definition of normalcy.

Governor signs bill mandating sex ed in schools across California

"Individual parents can opt out, but schools cannot.

The law ensures not only that school districts offer sex education, but that they teach a comprehensive curriculum that includes abstinence, a range of contraceptives, issues related to sexuality and gender identity as well as “an objective discussion of all legally available pregnancy outcomes, including, but not limited to, parenting, adoption and abortion.”

The new law combines the previously required curriculum on HIV/AIDS prevention and sex education into one required set of knowledge and skills kids should be taught before the end of eighth grade, and one they should be taught before the end of high school.

Districts can start offering the curriculum in seventh grade.

“Our schools are a critical environment for providing young people with the knowledge and skills that they will need to protect their sexual health,” said the bill’s author, Assemblywoman Shirley Weber, D-San Diego, in a statement. “This is about empowering all young men and women — whatever their orientation or gender — to make the healthiest decisions possible.”

Weber’s measure also requires the curriculum to “affirmatively recognize that people have different sexual orientations and, when discussing or providing examples of relationships and couples, shall be inclusive of same-sex relationships.”

“This legislation ensures that all students have access to medically accurate and unbiased sexual health education,” said state Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson in a statement. “By affirmatively recognizing that people have different sexual orientations and teaching pupils about gender identity, LGBTQ youth will be safer in school.”"

Thank goodness the part about 'medically accurate' info. Some states don't require the sex-ed be medically accurate. Always imagine something like "the man inserts his penis into the woman's cloiaca..." :)

Apparently kids are a lot more stupid now than they were 50 or more years ago. When I was in the eighth grade, we knew all about sex without any classes on the subject.

LOL. I figured the OP would attract kooks, this one ^^^ maybe the most ridiculous.

Why? Because YOU are backward?

No, because I am educated, experienced and thoughtful.

So am I. Also a very successful business owner and employer.

The law ensures not only that school districts offer sex education, but that they teach a comprehensive curriculum that includes abstinence, a range of contraceptives, issues related to sexuality and gender identity as well as “an objective discussion of all legally available pregnancy outcomes, including, but not limited to, parenting, adoption and abortion.”

The new law combines the previously required curriculum on HIV/AIDS prevention and sex education into one required set of knowledge and skills kids should be taught before the end of eighth grade, and one they should be taught before the end of high school.

“Our schools are a critical environment for providing young people with the knowledge and skills that they will need to protect their sexual health,” said the bill’s author, Assemblywoman Shirley Weber, D-San Diego, in a statement. “This is about empowering all young men and women — whatever their orientation or gender — to make the healthiest decisions possible.”

Weber’s measure also requires the curriculum to “affirmatively recognize that people have different sexual orientations and, when discussing or providing examples of relationships and couples, shall be inclusive of same-sex relationships.”

“This legislation ensures that all students have access to medically accurate and unbiased sexual health education,” said state Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson in a statement. “By affirmatively recognizing that people have different sexual orientations and teaching pupils about gender identity, LGBTQ youth will be safer in school.”"

Thank goodness the part about 'medically accurate' info. Some states don't require the sex-ed be medically accurate. Always imagine something like "the man inserts his penis into the woman's cloiaca..." :)

Apparently kids are a lot more stupid now than they were 50 or more years ago. When I was in the eighth grade, we knew all about sex without any classes on the subject.
Yes, but you were not informed that you could choose your sexual orientation and they're all equally acceptable or that you could decide you're really a woman. You were also deprived of instructions on proper masturbation techniques and anal fisting. I don't know how you survived with such an incomplete syllabus.

That is true. Even my high school biology class failed in those regards. I had a hard, and I do emphasize the word "hard" enough time with the mini-skirts and the tight sweaters.
You surely must have been a late bloomer, or more likely, you didn't know what the hell to do with it. We pretty much had it figured out by halfway through the first six weeks of 7th grade.

Well, I learned quite a bit when I was twelve from a fourteen year old girl down the road from me.

Really? Because 50 years ago there were a lot more teen pregnancies than there are today.

Why is the teen birth rate falling?

Probably in the inner cities. Most young ladies 50 years ago were more selective and "hard to get" than they are today. 50 years ago there was a concept of "saving myself for my husband".

The data would seem to indicate otherwise. Television has derived a fantasy that life in the 50s and 60s was nothing but the Cleavers and Donna Reed.

Prove it from your data. The data will not show it. One reason for the decrease is that the women can now simply drop by their friendly Planned Parenthood butcher shop and have their problem dealt with and totally unreported. Kids should be far more educated about sex now because your television has it in front of their faces 24/7.

Sex education which teaches abstinence is the most successful type of sex education, which reduces STDs, teenage pregnancies etc.

Abstinence only programs are the least successful, they lead to the highest levels of STDs and teenage pregnancies.

Ya, the parents of Cali are too stupid to teach their own kids... Or I should say the lack of parental caring.

Let the schools indoctrinate a state full of a$$ hats... They deserve it.

They should offer this class to all US schools not just in California. What made you think this is not a problem in other states? Highest teen pregnancy is New Mexico..... followed by Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Oklahoma. California is ranked #25 I think. Educate kids about sex education so babies don't end up in welfare is a good idea.

Sounds to me like it's the parents who need the education.

Well it is California so I'm sure they'll be teaching safe fudge packing. And likely outlaw assault fudge packing.

Yes, but you were not informed that you could choose your sexual orientation and they're all equally acceptable or that you could decide you're really a woman. You were also deprived of instructions on proper masturbation techniques and anal fisting. I don't know how you survived with such an incomplete syllabus.

That is true. Even my high school biology class failed in those regards. I had a hard, and I do emphasize the word "hard" enough time with the mini-skirts and the tight sweaters.
You surely must have been a late bloomer, or more likely, you didn't know what the hell to do with it. We pretty much had it figured out by halfway through the first six weeks of 7th grade.

Well, I learned quite a bit when I was twelve from a fourteen year old girl down the road from me.

First off, I hope you'll accept my apology for using such harsh language in my reply to your comment.

We were very fortunate to have a pe coach in the 7th grade that recognized our need for an education that we weren't getting. He was very direct in the way he preached abstinence-all the while opening up a bunch of condoms & handing them out.

Last edited:

But not all kids in California have farm animals around like you did.

Sex education which teaches abstinence is the most successful type of sex education, which reduces STDs, teenage pregnancies etc.

Abstinence only programs are the least successful, they lead to the highest levels of STDs and teenage pregnancies.

Ya, the parents of Cali are too stupid to teach their own kids... Or I should say the lack of parental caring.

Let the schools indoctrinate a state full of a$$ hats... They deserve it.

They should offer this class to all US schools not just in California. What made you think this is not a problem in other states? Highest teen pregnancy is New Mexico..... followed by Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Oklahoma. California is ranked #25 I think. Educate kids about sex education so babies don't end up in welfare is a good idea.
That this is even considered is proof that huge parts of the country are far too incompetent, lazy and don't care enough to raise their own kids...
I guess, whatever let your kids be raised by their teachers no skin of my back.... Again teachers make for really sh!tty parents of other people's.

Embrace the suck

The children won't be able to read and write, but they'll be able to suck and fuck.

The children won't be able to read and write, but they'll be able to suck and fuck.
its just 1 class.....geezus talk about exaggeration...

Well, the whole responsibility thing has shifted. Back in my day it was the male's responsibility to take care of things. All boys back then carried a condom in their wallets. If one failed in his responsibility, marriage was the alternative. There were few marriages because condoms cost from twenty-five cents each to fifty cents each. Today, it appears to be the female's responsibility and even with free condoms and contraceptives, the female is not enforcing the male to use a condom.

Well, it's about education. Back in the day people were worried about having a kid. In the modern world less so because that social stigma isn't so great as it was.

Education before was about fear. With that gone you have to make education about knowledge.

No. There was little education. The emphasis was on responsibility. That's where the emphasis should still be placed.

What I mean by education is how people learned. People learned to be responsible because the impact would have been much higher than now. Now people are able to be more free because life is more free than it used to be. Therefore responsibility means less than it did back then.

This is a problem. But it doesn't just go away by saying "young people need to be more responsible", the right often just use these sorts of things as reasons to do nothing.

Sex ed in schools is now an extremely important thing to learn, in order to be decent functioning adults.

Even then..... I know a guy who's doing a PhD in some biological thing, and he managed to get himself an STD even after having had sex ed.

You can teach whatever you want but I'll still bet you that your kids knew about sex at an even earlier age than you did. It is broadcast before their eyes 24/7, they listen to older kids, etc. Almost any kid has seen a kitten or puppy being born or some other animal.

Yes. Just a few months ago they caught some seventh graders having oral sex at school in the classroom when the teacher had to leave for a few minutes.

But not all kids in California have farm animals around like you did.

A farm animal is a puppy or a kitten? LOL!!

Forum List

Back