Found this 1930's Perfection kerosene heater yesterday

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
I went to an annual sale at a Catholic church yesterday and picked up this Perfection Model 1710 kerosene heater for $15. It's in really nice shape for its age and has a new wick in it. I disassembled it, cleaned the soot from the inside of the Pyrex globe and the flame spreader, and fired it up. The heater works great. These things put out about 10,000 BTU's of heat and has a 0.8 gallon tank that burns for about 10 hours. I get 1-k kerosene out of a pump at a gas station over in the next county for a little under $6 per gallon, which is cheaper than the $10 per gallon Walmart and Ace Hardware charges.

perf1.jpg

perf2.jpg

perf3.jpg

perf4.jpg

perf5.jpg

perf6.jpg

perf7.jpg

I went to an annual sale at a Catholic church yesterday and picked up this Perfection Model 1710 kerosene heater for $15. It's in really nice shape for its age and has a new wick in it. I disassembled it, cleaned the soot from the inside of the Pyrex globe and the flame spreader, and fired it up. The heater works great. These things put out about 10,000 BTU's of heat and has a 0.8 gallon tank that burns for about 10 hours. I get 1-k kerosene out of a pump at a gas station over in the next county for a little under $6 per gallon, which is cheaper than the $10 per gallon Walmart and Ace Hardware charges.

View attachment 845835

View attachment 845836

View attachment 845837

View attachment 845839

View attachment 845841

View attachment 845843

View attachment 845844
wow ! nearly 100 yrs old !

Damn, that thing is in great shape.

They used to have all kinds of accessories for them you could use for cooking and such.

I haven't been long sold off a Perfection 525 like this one.....I got $125.00 out of it.....I'm a sucker for oil lanterns and such things.

s-l1600.jpg

Damn, that thing is in great shape.

They used to have all kinds of accessories for them you could use for cooking and such.

I haven't been long sold off a Perfection 525 like this one.....I got $125.00 out of it.....I'm a sucker for oil lanterns and such things.

s-l1600.jpg

That's in pretty good shape! Most of the time I see those they're either all rusty and the fount is missing, or they've been painted and turned into planters.

Here's a website I found about these heaters...

PERFECTION OIL KEROSENE HEATER MODELS - 430

I went to an annual sale at a Catholic church yesterday and picked up this Perfection Model 1710 kerosene heater for $15. It's in really nice shape for its age and has a new wick in it. I disassembled it, cleaned the soot from the inside of the Pyrex globe and the flame spreader, and fired it up. The heater works great. These things put out about 10,000 BTU's of heat and has a 0.8 gallon tank that burns for about 10 hours.

Very nice. Taken care of, there is nothing to go bad but the wick itself and you got a new one. They are great, I have an old Kerosun heater that puts out an amazing 19,000 BTU I think made for heating a lodge or a cabin and you can actually cook on the top of it. I think this is a picture of the model.

https://photos.offerup.com/siOcZGAE2oRGUbZ5qtq2j2Av55w=/600x800/882d/882d23a0151e4a93a72bec75682af894.jpg

Does it have a compartment in the bottom where the three D cell batteries for the starter go?

I've had many thru the years, kept the barn animals comfy when the power went down, kept my job sites livable ....~S~

Very nice. Taken care of, there is nothing to go bad but the wick itself and you got a new one. They are great, I have an old Kerosun heater that puts out an amazing 19,000 BTU I think made for heating a lodge or a cabin and you can actually cook on the top of it. I think this is a picture of the model.

https://photos.offerup.com/siOcZGAE2oRGUbZ5qtq2j2Av55w=/600x800/882d/882d23a0151e4a93a72bec75682af894.jpg

Those are good heaters too. I have a Dyna-Glo that's similar to that one. It has an electric starter but I've been too lazy to order a new element for it. So I just use a lighter to fire it up.

Forum List

Back