GOP: Should we throw some big money to education to fix our public schools?

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Many public schools in America, particularly in the South and poor parts of the rest of the country. Some say they need more money in the schools to attract and retain the best teachers, and to have better facilities to create a good learning environment. But many don't think so. Many in the right wing say "throwing money at the problem doesn't fix it".

And seeing as it's the last few days of August, it got me thinking about something.

The government run University of Alabama and University of South Carolina. Both have football programs that are ranked in the top 10. Both have head coaches- Nick Saban (Bama) and Steve Spurrier (USC) who are paid MILLIONS in tax payer money. Both have huge stadiums, shining facilities and offices. USC spent $20,000,000 on a scoreboard. YES, a scoreboard. This in a state that has some of the worst public schools and roads in America.

In the early 2000's, Alabama football was bad. Struggling. Losing seasons. South Carolina has traditionally been bad. 0-22 over 2 years at one point.

COACHING is just teaching. That's all these two men do: Teach young men a skill. Just like school teachers do.

So why is it that in the state of South Carolina- run by Tea Party Republicans for a long time now- they say our crumbling roads, awful schools, high crime rate.......are problems that "throwing money at it" wont fix.

But, the states college football team? Millions upon millions go to that, and guess what? They are a top 10 program now, with elite facilities. I mean, a 20M dollar scoreboard?

So, my question for Tea Party Republicans:

Why is it that when it comes to teaching poor black kids math and English, you guys wont "throw money at it", but when it came to teaching poor black kids in the USC football program how to play football, your SC reps were willing to drop tens of millions on it. And guess what....it worked!!! Wonder if the same commitment to the public schools would yield the same results:eusa_eh:

Derailed into an NEA bashing thread in 3... 2... 1...

As for South Carolina... worst stretches of highway you'll ever drive on.

IMO you can't pay a good teacher enough for the job that they do. As for the bad ones, and there are a lot, I'm all for figuring out what to do with them.

Not that I of course believe this is actually meant to be a thought provoking conversation as opposed to your your daily partisan pissing and moaning tantrum, but what makes you think the answer to fixing the public education system is more money considering we already spend more money per student on public education than any other country in the world. In fact, public education funding in this country has tripled since the 1970s, yet the quality has the declined. Washington D.C. spends more $25,000 per student (all those poor black kids you mentioned )and is the most expensive school district in the country as well as the worst performing.

Or maybe you didn't actually bother to find any of that out before you went on your typical childish anti-Tea Party rant where government employees are on the same level as God and everyone else is dirt.

Derailed into an NEA bashing thread in 3... 2... 1...

As for South Carolina... worst stretches of highway you'll ever drive on.

IMO you can't pay a good teacher enough for the job that they do. As for the bad ones, and there are a lot, I'm all for figuring out what to do with them.

Yep.

Just makes me go "hmmmm" here in Tea Party fantasy land SC.

We wont pay our teachers or cops shit. And as a result, our schools and crime rate are amongst the worst in America. Our roads are falling apart, and are jammed at max capacity in our mid-size cities- no major sized ones.

We wont throw money at that.

But our mediocre SEC football team, after that 0-22 streak, they threw the bank at legendary coaches (aka, TEACHERS) Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier, and the expensive cast of assistants they brought along with them.

And while many of our schools are old and crumbling, we added a $20,000,000 SCOREBOARD. Not stadium. Not weight room or locker room. S C O R E B O A R D !!!!!

But that shows Tea Party and GOP priorities here. Schools? Crime? Roads? HELL NO!!! We aren't throwing money at that. But the college football team? HELL YES!!!

And that's because politicians know they'll get support from voters for it. The SC tea party voters love football, and will support throwing money for football teachers- but not for schools, road or crime.

And the GOP wants us to vote that mentality into the White House?

Not that I of course believe this is actually meant to be a thought provoking conversation as opposed to your your daily partisan pissing and moaning tantrum, but what makes you think the answer to fixing the public education system is more money considering we already spend more money per student on public education than any other country in the world. In fact, public education funding in this country has tripled since the 1970s, yet the quality has the declined. Washington D.C. spends more $25,000 per student (all those poor black kids you mentioned )and is the most expensive school district in the country as well as the worst performing.

Or maybe you didn't actually bother to find any of that out before you went on your typical childish anti-Tea Party rant where government employees are on the same level as God and everyone else is dirt.

So you oppose these red state football programs getting all this money thrown at them? I'm waiting to see the Tea Party protests in Columbia and Tuscaloosa in front of their massive taxpayer funded stadiums and millionaire government employee football teachers.

Somehow....I think the TP wont be doing that protest.

Yep.

Just makes me go "hmmmm" here in Tea Party fantasy land SC.

We wont pay our teachers or cops shit. And as a result, our schools and crime rate are amongst the worst in America. Our roads are falling apart, and are jammed at max capacity in our mid-size cities- no major sized ones.

And yet you still live there, because it's so awful.

Have you guys heard of Michelle Rhee and her work in D.C.?

She was berated for what she did here until she was thrown out as superintendent. And a couple of years later, students in the capital are scoring and performing higher than in over a decade. She didn't "throw money" at the problem.

But education needs more money in this country.

She was on Time magazine a few years back. I think you'd be interested in her work.

Spend more money is the liberal answer to every problem never mind that over the years we have spent millions and in some cases billions on various problems with no major improvement instead of just spending more money maybe we should try spending it wisely instead.

So you oppose these red state football programs getting all this money thrown at them? I'm waiting to see the Tea Party protests in Columbia and Tuscaloosa in front of their massive taxpayer funded stadiums and millionaire government employee football teachers.

Somehow....I think the TP wont be doing that protest.

Changing the subject is confirmation of my suspicions that you don't know shit about what you're ranting about.

College football teams bring in millions of dollars in private money to the universities and fund a great deal of those programs. Public universities in South Carolina have been getting less and less money from the taxpayers over the years and I know that for a fact because I went to graduate school in South Carolina from 2008 through 2010 and the president of the university gave a speech in one of my finance classes where he discussed that our school only received around 13% of its funding from the state, way down from what it was years ago, and getting less each year.

So where is all of this taxpayer money funding these million dollar football programs at the expense of our public school system at, hmmm?? Tell us little Bitchie Cuntingham, can you answer that? No, of course you can't, because you didn't know. You're just a retired government drone with the critical thinking skills of an eight year old who thinks you're entitled to raid the public coffers of every single penny it has just because you were a public employee.

You can shut up now. It's past your bedtime.

She was berated for what she did here until she was thrown out as superintendent. And a couple of years later, students in the capital are scoring and performing higher than in over a decade. She didn't "throw money" at the problem.

She was on Time magazine a few years back. I think you'd be interested in her work.

She believes in getting rid of the deadwood out of the system and holding teachers accountable. That's why the libs got rid of her.

She believes in getting rid of the deadwood out of the system and holding teachers accountable. That's why the libs got rid of her.

Yeah D.C. is an example of why being too liberal is a terrible thing

Just read this article mentioning her the other day.

The public school system doesn't give a shit about the kids. The public school system today exists to benefit the employees of the public school system.

SOWELL: Are we serious about education? - Odessa American: Opinion Columnist

No, it doesn't. It has more than enough funding. It's how the money is spent that's the problem.

Fair enough. My sister did "Teach for America" though, and I've seen what completely neglected schools look like. I live in northern Virginia where the schools are ranked top in the nation. And trust me they have tons of money flowing in. And that's what separates them.

California has thrown LOTS of money at its system and over the last 3-4 decades and it has gone from top 5 to bottom ten....

We don't throw alot of money into public education as it is right now?

Money doesn't fix everything and we're already dumping huge amounts of money into the current education system.

Many public schools in America, particularly in the South and poor parts of the rest of the country. Some say they need more money in the schools to attract and retain the best teachers, and to have better facilities to create a good learning environment. But many don't think so. Many in the right wing say "throwing money at the problem doesn't fix it".

And seeing as it's the last few days of August, it got me thinking about something.

The government run University of Alabama and University of South Carolina. Both have football programs that are ranked in the top 10. Both have head coaches- Nick Saban (Bama) and Steve Spurrier (USC) who are paid MILLIONS in tax payer money. Both have huge stadiums, shining facilities and offices. USC spent $20,000,000 on a scoreboard. YES, a scoreboard. This in a state that has some of the worst public schools and roads in America.

In the early 2000's, Alabama football was bad. Struggling. Losing seasons. South Carolina has traditionally been bad. 0-22 over 2 years at one point.

COACHING is just teaching. That's all these two men do: Teach young men a skill. Just like school teachers do.

So why is it that in the state of South Carolina- run by Tea Party Republicans for a long time now- they say our crumbling roads, awful schools, high crime rate.......are problems that "throwing money at it" wont fix.

But, the states college football team? Millions upon millions go to that, and guess what? They are a top 10 program now, with elite facilities. I mean, a 20M dollar scoreboard?

So, my question for Tea Party Republicans:

Why is it that when it comes to teaching poor black kids math and English, you guys wont "throw money at it", but when it came to teaching poor black kids in the USC football program how to play football, your SC reps were willing to drop tens of millions on it. And guess what....it worked!!! Wonder if the same commitment to the public schools would yield the same results:eusa_eh:

My counter-question: when are you dimwits going to learn how to create a relevant and sensible analogy?

Just read this article mentioning her the other day.

The public school system doesn't give a shit about the kids. The public school system today exists to benefit the employees of the public school system.

SOWELL: Are we serious about education? - Odessa American: Opinion Columnist

Yep, today's bureaucrats primary job is to insure the security and expansion of the bureaucracy, everything else is secondary.

Throwing money at failing schools has the effect of paying them to fail. If they fail with the extra money they have they will get more. There is no amount of money that will make a student want to learn. If a student wants to learn there is no lack of money that will stop them. It is that simple.

If there could be one thing that would improve failing schools it would be to teach children to read at the earliest possible age and insist that they read until they love it.

Forum List

Back