Godspeed to the Iraqis This Weekend

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Found this, thought it to the point:

http://hurryupharry.bloghouse.net/archives/2005/01/27/all_you_fascists_are_bound_to_lose.php

All you fascists are bound to lose

A few years ago Billy Bragg recorded a song called "All You Fascists," with words written by Woody Gurthrie during World War II. I don't know if Mr. Bragg or the late Mr. Guthrie would approve of my borrowing that song's refrain for this post, but it's what leapt to mind when I saw this Washington Post report focusing on the efforts of the National Democratic Institute (affiliated with the US Democratic Party) to help prepare Iraqis for democratic elections:

[F]or all the fears that the elections will be defined by violence, the democracy instructors speak ardently of the keen appetite for the vote expressed by ordinary Iraqis. About 80 percent of Iraqis say they intend to turn out Sunday, a polling figure the instructors call credible given the quiet determination they have seen among rank and file citizens.

Substantial evidence of that resolve accumulated in recent months, as thousands of Iraqis defied continued threats to do the mundane work of the elections, training as monitors and election officials.

But the instructors said an episode last October first brought the matter into high relief. The institute had scheduled a workshop on coalition-building at the Palestine Hotel. About 180 Iraqis sent word they would attend.

Moments before the appointed hour, a vehicle bomb exploded in the street outside. U.S. troops cordoned off the hotel as there were reports that a second suicide bomber was cruising the area. The workshop organizers were talking about rescheduling when their cell phones started ringing.

"People were calling to apologize about being late," the country director said. "The troops were blocking the hotel, but they were waiting outside in the smoke and the wreckage and the body parts."

In the end, after the cordon was lifted, about 165 people showed up. "At that point," he said, "I kind of figured there's something going on here."

Update: On one side are people distributing leaflets that read, "This is a final warning to all of those who plan to participate in the election. We vow to wash the streets of Baghdad with the voters' blood... To those of you who think you can vote and then run away, we will shadow you and catch you, and we will cut off your heads and the heads of your children."

On the other side are ordinary Iraqis who will defy these disgusting threats and go the the polls next Sunday to vote for a new future.

As Orwell wrote in a slightly different context, "I do not have to ask myself whose side I am on."

Posted by Gene at January 27, 2005 12:02 AM

Wow, thank Kathianne. :dance:

The upcoming elections will serve notice not only on the terrorists in Iraq but on the tyrannical regimes which remain on the Earth.

And the anti-American left can go on, and keep moving the goalposts.

We've already seen them on the wrong side of history in Afganistan.

I have really gotten high on freedom and democracy just watching the coverage from Iraq this week as the Iraqis prepare themselves to vote in Sunday's election. They are a gutsy people! Their courage and determination to vote in spite of the terrorists' threats should guarantee that self-government in Iraq will triumph. It's really exciting to me to watch the birth of a free nation.

I liked this:

http://www.lileks.com/bleats/archive/05/0105/012805.html

...So there’s an election in Iraq soon, I understand. I haven’t been writing about this here because I’m just taking the long, long view, and haven’t the time or inclination to argue with people who think “No WMD!” is the argument equivalent of a spreading a full house on the green felt table. It may seem so, but unfortunately we’re playing chess. However the election goes will be one thing; how it’s reported is another. The thing to watch is the position of the Damning But, the old DB. The DB will probably bob up in the first or second paragraphs of most dispatches. “The election went as planned in 95 percent of the country, but violence marred polling in the disputed Sunny D Triangle, where insurgents opposed to Tropicana Juice fired automatic weapons into an juice concentrate factory.” That’s one spin. “The election, long anticipated as a flashpoint for insurgent activity, went off with few delays. Despite sporadic gunfire marred the overall mood of success in several provinces, observers said that the process was ‘smooth as a Sade groove,’ adding that they were annoyed Sade had simply faded away instead of letting her career end with a tasteful layout in Playboy.” See? No DB there. We’ll see...

Amen---it IS truly amazing to watch the courage of these people and history in the making. They will succeed and be proud of what they have created!

tho obviously the Dubya Gang will call it such. I still wanna know what happens if the Shiia politely request we get out of their countrY? Do we leave and watch them turn to Iran, or do we drop all pretense of being 'Liberators' and stay on anyway? I can also understand why Dubya lovers would rather not talk about WMDs.

kewlhand said:
I can also understand why Dubya lovers would rather not talk about WMDs.

WHy do you say that?

37744_sport-smiley-002.gif

i love coming here for a good laugh! it's the only place i can find such comical behavior when things are so depressing everywhere i look.

this 'election' is nothing but yet another propaganda tactic that only half of america is buying.

britain wants out. they hope this election will give them the ticket the need to say they've put their time in, and it's your mess now.

meanwhile, here at home the dollar is falling, we spend 2 bil a day to float our debt, and countries like india and china are making large strides in educating their people, while our goverment does little for our education.... this makes sense, because educated people would figure out the ride they have been taken on.

this joke of a poll is second only to the american 'election'. my only question is, is there a paper trail of the vote in iraq?

when this too goes down in flames, and we are bankrupt after four years of trying to float this MISTAKE BASED ON LIES AND PROPAGANDA, you won't need me or anybody to tell you we told you so.

it's plain and simple common sense.

say guys, how does it feel being the only people ON THE PLANET who still think democracy is going to take hold in iraq?! :laugh:

spillmind said:
i love coming here for a good laugh! it's the only place i can find such comical behavior when things are so depressing everywhere i look.
Look in the mirror, that should be good for a laugh too.
this 'election' is nothing but yet another propaganda tactic that only half of america is buying.
Bullcrap. Iraqis want to vote. They want freedom.
britain wants out. they hope this election will give them the ticket the need to say they've put their time in, and it's your mess now.

meanwhile, here at home the dollar is falling, we spend 2 bil a day to float our debt, and countries like india and china are making large strides in educating their people, while our goverment does little for our education.... this makes sense, because educated people would figure out the ride they have been taken on.

this joke of a poll is second only to the american 'election'. my only question is, is there a paper trail of the vote in iraq?

when this too goes down in flames, and we are bankrupt after four years of trying to float this MISTAKE BASED ON LIES AND PROPAGANDA, you won't need me or anybody to tell you we told you so.

This is just unnecessary fear, uncertaintly and doubt. Our cause there is Noble. This is the merely the beginning of a longterm investment in global security, the type of security which guarantees lasting and real peace.

spillmind said:

say guys, how does it feel being the only people ON THE PLANET who still think democracy is going to take hold in iraq?! :laugh:

The very FACT that Iraqi people are willing to face threats of decapitation of their loved ones and more blood in the streets in order to go to the polls "just to vote" states very LOUD & CLEAR that they would rather have a new form of government than the old bloody tyranny they've been suffering under. They want a voice, they want freedom, and they are willing to face chilling threats to get it.

Why you liberals don't support them in this endeavor says more about YOU than the tenuous Iraqi situation. You libs are going to choke on your own bile someday.

ScreamingEagle said:
The very FACT that Iraqi people are willing to face threats of decapitation of their loved ones and more blood in the streets in order to go to the polls "just to vote" states very LOUD & CLEAR that they would rather have a new form of government than the old bloody tyranny they've been suffering under. They want a voice, they want freedom, and they are willing to face chilling threats to get it.

Why you liberals don't support them in this endeavor says more about YOU than the tenuous Iraqi situation. You libs are going to choke on your own bile someday.

:trolls:

spillmind said:

Showed up to have fun with the people who know whats going on huh?
grab some champagne oh negative one--loosen up !

keep up the manufactured optimism, guys! it's HILARIOUS!
:rotflmao:

let's make one thing clear:

a true liberal wants the people of THE WORLD to all live free.

no one is free when ANYBODY lives at gunpoint with mass murder all around them.

the case of iraq is one based on a false premise, and it has been horribly mismanaged.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4431601/ for example.

how many of you cheerleaders even talk to iraqis? some people have nothing else to hold onto, and what would you do in their situation?!

they are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

i still don't see what this 'election' (more like a meaningless sporadic poll) is supposed to do for this country?

dilloduck said:
Showed up to have fun with the people who know whats going on huh?
grab some champagne oh negative one--loosen up !

LOL!!!! that is F***ING HILARIOUS!!!!! *SNORT*

I AM SERIOUSLY LAUGHING MY ASS OFF AT THAT ONE!!!

Why do you think optimism is manufactured? What great things has pessimism ever accomplished? How do you overcome adversity if you have no hope to?

The Iraqis are going to have a historic event take place this weekend. A chance to choose a future of peace. You underestimate the spirit of the human heart. You dont understand the natural yearnings mankind has to be free. If you did you would have optimism too.

I think you seem to think optimism is blindly seeing everything as great. Thats not it at all. Optimism is the ability to see darkness, evil and other vile things in the world and see it overcome through hard work and dedication. Its believing that through small and simple things great things can be overcome.

One of the keys to success in life is attitude. If you have the attitude that you can do anything, you will. If you have the attitude that there is no hope and everything is horrible in the world, it is.

The elections in Iraq will succeed because they must. Things will work out because they do. In the end those who have no hope will be miserable while though who do will take joy in the freedom of our brothers on the other side of the world.

what up sir e? :smoke:

surf has been good! just got a new full suspension mountain bike, so that's been taking a lot of my time... along with music lessons...

i guess it is giving them something... what that is up for scrutiny.

i'll agree optimism is the path forward. but i do not share your vision of that path. tell me what gives you hope that these elections will change anything or even pave the way for whatever form of democracy you have in mind?

i'm not underestimating spirit of the human heart and spirit. many of these people's lives are totally destroyed. their world around them is in many cases litterally reduced to rubble. i see it more as a desperate people willing to do anything to survive. i think they will do almost anything we line them up for at this point. in all seriousness.

ack attitude? i won't go there.

not sure how you can condone the job done that commissioned carpet bombings and prison torture and then call them your brothers. that takes a set coupled with a serious sense of subconscious detachment.

i'd love for you to define 'succeed' in 'The elections in Iraq will succeed because they must.'

i'd love for you to answer if and why they have a paper trail for voting when we didn't.

sometimes i really wonder where you people are coming from.

spillmind said:
keep up the manufactured optimism, guys! it's HILARIOUS!
:rotflmao:

let's make one thing clear:

a true liberal wants the people of THE WORLD to all live free.

no one is free when ANYBODY lives at gunpoint with mass murder all around them.

You must be a supporter of Bush then. :eek2:

Forum List

Back