God and Free Will

The choice was made in your brain before you were aware it was made.
Yes, I understood that part. I am asking you how the choice is made.
A series of electrochemical reactions in your brain. Just like many bodily functions. Your brain is a supercomputer, and it does most of its work in the background, unbeknownst to you. The brain will process incoming information and react to it. You are not conscious of this process, until you are.

So, while you may ponder which restaurant to eat at, the choice is made in your subconscious before you are aware you have made your choice.

A series of electrochemical reactions in your brain. Just like many bodily functions. Your brain is a supercomputer, and it does most of its work in the background, unbeknownst to you. The brain will process incoming information and react to it. You are not conscious of this process, until you are.

So, while you may ponder which restaurant to eat at, the choice is made in your subconscious before you are aware you have made your choice.

Again, how? Why, for example, don't all brains make the same choice? Second, are you saying the brain has already determined what I will like and what I won't? Did it decide this arbitrarily?

Why, for example, don't all brains make the same choice?
Because not only are all brains not identical to begin with, they are subject to a different set of experiences.
Second, are you saying the brain has already determined what I will like and what I won't?
In many cases, yes, from the start. In others, yes, but this is affected by the experiences of the brain over the course of your life.

So, yes.

"Arbitrarily"

Of course not. Your brain is a physical system subject to deterministic physical laws. "Arbitrary" is a word tied precisely to the sort of choice that we actually do not have and is actually an illusion.

In many cases, yes, from the start. In others, yes, but this is affected by the experiences of the brain over the course of your life.

So, yes.

"Arbitrarily"

Of course not. Your brain is a physical system subject to deterministic physical laws. "Arbitrary" is a word tied precisely to the sort of choice that we actually do not have and is actually an illusion.

I see it a bit differently. I see the brain brain collecting and presenting information and actually offering choices. I see it as our essential spirits making the choice. Why would a brain care whether someone chooses soup or a salad for lunch? If it cared that much, there would be no choice to make.

I see it as our essential spirits making the choice.
Then you believe in magic. Period. Good for you. That is a discussion ender, as entering magic into the equation removes any ability to analyze it via reason or evidence.

So, this is where you exit the highway, while the rest of us continue on the path to knowledge. Goodbye.

So it's not evil to drown nearly everyone in a flood?
So you know what the world was like in the day of Noah?

Do you know cultures burned their babies alive to their gods? People can so destroy their minds that they cannot be redeemed.

Is it "evil" to you to raise animals just so they can be beheaded and eaten?

Man can and has become so corrupt and evil that destroying them is the good thing. God's choice, not yours. Bet then you call these myths anyway so it really doesn't matter.

Man can and has become so corrupt and evil that destroying them is the good thing.
This is an excellent example of how faith canwarp the mind into accepting and even condoning evil, immoral acts. I hope your vile belief is confined tonyour internet squawking, and you never take it upon yourself to "do god's will". Therevare straightjackets made for peolle exactly like you, and there is one waiting for you somewhere, if you stumble.

L
Then you believe in magic. Period. Good for you. That is a discussion ender, as entering magic into the equation removes any ability to analyze it via reason or evidence.

So, this is where you exit the highway, while the rest of us continue on the path to knowledge. Goodbye.
That statement ends rational conversation. To ignore you go.

Bye. (Do keep in mind, however, that I see it as you not being able to keep up with me.)
Of course you do. You always see people who don't buy your bullshit this way. You have to soothe yourself in this manner, as you do not have reason amd evidence on your side. Rinse, repeat.

Meanwhile, scientists continue to explore and gain empirical knowledge about the seeming fact that free will, as we have come to think of it, is an illusion. And the results are the same, every single time. Thank goodness they havent just thrown up their hands and cried, "it's magic!"!

L

That statement ends rational conversation. To ignore you go.
Good, I hope you ignore me. I hope you ignore everyone, if the disgusting statement you just made is any indicator of your actual behavior.

Do you know cultures burned their babies alive to their gods? People can so destroy their minds that they cannot be redeemed.

Man can and has become so corrupt and evil that destroying them is the good thing. God's choice, not yours. Bet then you call these myths anyway so it really doesn't matter.
I'm a vegetarian, please try again. :biggrin:

God's choice to be evil and drown everyone. Agreed.

To it, concepts of "good" and "evil" to the individual and collective growth of species, humans, civilizations would be tools for growth that we could not begin to understand because we do not have the benefit of living outside of all of space and time.
Okay, but that's no excuse to expect us to ignore evil or immorality.
Very good. I think you have taken baby steps. Such is the reason for the existence of such things. There is no positive pole without a negative pole, no light without dark, no creation with out destruction, no growth without death, and thus, no good or morality without "evil or immorality."

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

This is another of those "questions" and "problems" that, because they are put into words, are taken for serious when they are the merest wisps of smoke from burning brain cells. The question has no 'provable' answer (similar to the 'God' thing and what was there before the big bang), yet we chase our tails around the semantics tree.
When a question such as this has been around for as long as it has and no satisfying answer has been found, the answer becomes that we are asking the wrong question.

To it, concepts of "good" and "evil" to the individual and collective growth of species, humans, civilizations would be tools for growth that we could not begin to understand because we do not have the benefit of living outside of all of space and time.
Okay, but that's no excuse to expect us to ignore evil or immorality.
Very good. I think you have taken baby steps. Such is the reason for the existence of such things. There is no positive pole without a negative pole, no light without dark, no creation with out destruction, no growth without death, and thus, no good or morality without "evil or immorality."

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
I have no idea what any of that nonsense means. But you are wrong to say there is no good without evil. I reject that bit of embroidered pillow nonsense.

This is another of those "questions" and "problems" that, because they are put into words, are taken for serious when they are the merest wisps of smoke from burning brain cells. The question has no 'provable' answer (similar to the 'God' thing and what was there before the big bang), yet we chase our tails around the semantics tree.
When a question such as this has been around for as long as it has and no satisfying answer has been found, the answer becomes that we are asking the wrong question.

There most certainly is an objectively right or wrong answer to whether or not the garbage in the Christian dogma is immoral or evil, once one accepts that there is an objective measure of well being of people. I.E., humanism.

The answer is that, no matter what plan or authority anyone claims gods to have, killing innocents intentionally is objectively evil and immoral. Eveyone here would agree 100%. The only people who are atruggling with this simple truth are those tryong to equivocate themselves into little lretzela to defend nasty Christian dogma and nasty bible content.

The Creator can do with his creation whatever he wants.

And at times god chooses to be evil.

And at times god chooses to be evil.
Nope. God is love. Destroying sin isn't any more evil than a doctor destroying a disease.

Forum List

Back