God and Free Will

It seems that the faithless are inevitably insecure about their faithlessness.

It's a twisting, meandering argument actually.

The bottom line is, if there is a GOD that is omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent, we will NEVER understand his ways, as, we are not those things.

It's a twisting, meandering argument actually.

The bottom line is, if there is a GOD that is omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent, we will NEVER understand his ways, as, we are not those things.
Very well put.

My teen was listening to this while he was getting ready for school, I wish I could have put it this way.

I told him it was sophistry, he was like, "huh?"

I said, it was a small minded guy pretending that he could think, act, and have the motivations of a universal cosmic consciousness.

You are right though, any universe spanning consciousness would be completely beyond our grasp to comprehend. To it, concepts of "good" and "evil" to the individual and collective growth of species, humans, civilizations would be tools for growth that we could not begin to understand because we do not have the benefit of living outside of all of space and time.

It would be as a microbe trying to describe the motivations of the NYC zoning board and whether it's actions are a benefit or a detriment upon it's perceived notions of "good and evil." It is folly, sheer folly.

Can any believer answer this question?

God put evil in the world because god is partly evil (and we are made in his image apparently), since god drowned most of humanity in his flood, making him a mass murderer, which in my book is a very evil thing to do.

Which question(s)? This reinforces why I usually skip over video OPs and posts. However, having made the exception, I selected these two questions to address.

1. Why couldn't God create a world where free will had only good consequences?

Choices that only result in good consequences limits possibilities, and people learn and grow from their mistakes.

2. If God cannot do evil, is God a robot?

The Bible teaches that it is not goodness that traps and enslaves, but evil. In that respect God has more freedom than any of us, and therefore far from being a robot.

Which question(s)? This reinforces why I usually skip over video OPs and posts. However, having made the exception, I selected these two questions to address.

Choices that only result in good consequences limits possibilities, and people learn and grow from their mistakes.

The Bible teaches that it is not goodness that traps and enslaves, but evil. In that respect God has more freedom than any of us, and therefore far from being a robot.
But god DID do evil by killing nearly everyone in his flood.

A point we have been discussing in another thread, so let's not bore everyone by rehashing it in this one. When push comes to shove, we can say that in one way or another God has "killed" everyone who was ever born. Death is part of life here on Earth.

A point we have been discussing in another thread, so let's not bore everyone by rehashing it in this one. When push comes to shove, we can say that in one way or another God has "killed" everyone who was ever born. Death is part of life here on Earth.
Death is a renewal of life, not the same thing as purposely drowning nearly everyone. That's Adolf territory.

And it IS relevant in this thread, the guy in the video asked how god could make evil if he is nothing but good. And I've shown that god is not just good, but evil as well.

Death is a renewal of life, not the same thing as purposely drowning nearly everyone. That's Adolf territory.

And it IS relevant in this thread, the guy in the video asked how god could make evil if he is nothing but good. And I've shown that god is not just good, but evil as well.

See you in the other thread. Not doing it again here.

Certainty if one has read the bible you know he hardened the heart of Pharaoh, and also destroyed the Egyptians due to using Hebrews as slave labor, and yet the Christians used blacks as slave labor. He also encouraged genocide on the Canaanites. God of the OT was evil. (according to scripture).

Also he allowed Lucifer to attack Job and bring him near death.

So like he said (God) he has created good as well as evil.

The notion of ‘free will’ is itself further proof that there is no ‘god’ as perceived by theists, a contrivance of man used as an excuse as to why evil exists.

Indeed, an omnipotent deity would not only have the capacity to foresee the future, but it would also have the capacity to control the actions of individuals, eliminating any ‘need’ for ‘free will.’

Absent the ability to foresee the future and control the actions of individuals, a ‘god’ wouldn’t be omnipotent, and consequently unworthy of worship.

And the bible doesn’t ‘teach’ anything – the bible was written by men, imbued with man’s fear, ignorance, and hate, as fallible as man himself.

The argument that the bible ‘teaches’ anything fails as an appeal to authority fallacy.

To it, concepts of "good" and "evil" to the individual and collective growth of species, humans, civilizations would be tools for growth that we could not begin to understand because we do not have the benefit of living outside of all of space and time.
Okay, but that's no excuse to expect us to ignore evil or immorality.

Forum List

Back