George, the giant Great Dane, has died

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
George, Tucson's giant Great Dane, dies
Tucson lost one of its big dogs Thursday. Its biggest, in fact. George, a Tucson Great Dane who was once crowned the Guinness World Records World’s Tallest Dog, died at age 7, a month before his eighth birthday. George, who measured 43 inches from foot to shoulder, reigned as the record holder from February 2010 to September 2012, when he was overtaken by Zeus, a 44-inch-tall Great Dane from Otsego, Mich.

This article has several photos of him.
Is 'Giant George' the world's tallest dog? The 7ft-long blue great dane could claim title | Mail Online

I got to meet him about 5 years ago. He was just as he's described - a big sweet gentle giant.

Slideshow -

George, Tucson's giant Great Dane, dies

52619c25685a9.preview-620.jpg

He looks like a big Lab. I've seen these pictures before, big doggie. How sweet.

Great Danes are very sweet dogs - despite their size, they think they are lap dogs.

Sadly, there lifespans aren't very long....

He looks impossible. Like he's been photo shopped.

article-0-07ADFE3B000005DC-984_634x579_popup.jpg

A gazillion years ago, I was at a party, drank wine, smoked some weed and was siting on the floor when the family great dane came in. I thought he couldn't be real. Very funny. And very nice people who also did a lot of rescue. Their house was as full of critters as mine has always been.

article-0-07ADFD50000005DC-863_634x361_popup.jpg

WOW what a monster.

The larger the breed the shorter the life span. Seven is considered old for a Dane. George, at his size, was lucky to make it to almost eight.

RIP George and sympathies to the family George held dear.

What a doll. I've known about him for years. Thanks for letting us know he's passed. One of my best friends from years ago was a mastiff breeder.

Talk about gentle. Tatiana and Herk were the two I met when I was breeding catahoulas. My guys were nuts.

Mr. C's kids were so lovely and sedate comparatively. I love these gentle giants. I just don't think I could take such a short lifespan.

WOW what a monster.

The larger the breed the shorter the life span. Seven is considered old for a Dane. George, at his size, was lucky to make it to almost eight.

RIP George and sympathies to the family George held dear.

Only thing ever for not getting a Mastiff or a Dane. On the other hand I've also thought 6 years of wonderful. Maybe its short but so awesomely sweet.

Ridgeback, Catahoulas and now a Black and Tan in my life.

The wheel keeps spinning.

Forum List

Back