Gay Marriage moving towards federal law

What government meddling do you fear?

They are meddling further in a different direction with legalization around this gay marriage stuff.. more investigations into discrimination.. more legalities in the system to accommodate... more public awareness stuff put out by the government... the list goes on.... and it's all horseshit.... drop it entirely from federal government as I described... period... no licenses... no courtroom ceremonies... no nothing in government about marriage at all
So you are saying that business will be forced to accommodate spouses in some way that they do not have to know? I'm not getting what you are saying...if possible, an example would be nice.

A business should not be required to accommodate anything with a spouse... if a home owner don't want to rent to a straight couple, or a gay couple, or whatever, it should not be discrimination... if an employer don't want to offer family coverage for medical, all well and good. You have choices to work elsewhere...

The amount of things that government is involved in with marriages is ridiculous... and it should all go away

What a waste of time and money.

Read the Constititution. No where in there does it give the Fed gov the right to regulate this.

This would fall under "The pursuit of happiness", thus, it's already legal on the federal level.

that' being said, States can so no. It's called states rights. Get the majority and it passes, don't, move and get married where it's legal.

think it's bs for me to think and say this? then demand your state drop all gun laws.
:cuckoo: A state cannot take away a constitutionally protected right.

It can however regulate it to the point the everyday person just gives up with all the red tape.

Don't try to tell me it doesn't happen.

They are meddling further in a different direction with legalization around this gay marriage stuff.. more investigations into discrimination.. more legalities in the system to accommodate... more public awareness stuff put out by the government... the list goes on.... and it's all horseshit.... drop it entirely from federal government as I described... period... no licenses... no courtroom ceremonies... no nothing in government about marriage at all
So you are saying that business will be forced to accommodate spouses in some way that they do not have to know? I'm not getting what you are saying...if possible, an example would be nice.

A business should not be required to accommodate anything with a spouse... if a home owner don't want to rent to a straight couple, or a gay couple, or whatever, it should not be discrimination... if an employer don't want to offer family coverage for medical, all well and good. You have choices to work elsewhere...

The amount of things that government is involved in with marriages is ridiculous... and it should all go away
Then you should be fighting against those things. You can't deny people rights because other things might happen if you do. Rights are rights.

Legal, civil marriage is a government institution that is denied gay and lesbian couples. That is a FACT, a reality. Denying gays and lesbians equal access to that legal, civil marriage is discrimination.
No one can marry someone of the same gender.
Everyone can marry someone of the opposite gender.
Everyone has the same capacity, everyone has the same restriction.
Everyone is treated equally.
Thus, there is no discrimination.

That means we DO NOT have the same legal right...
Marriage is a privilige granted by the state, not a right.

This is not the first time President Obama has said something like this.
Doesn't matter. The federal government has no power to pass any such law - this is wholly and fully within the purview of the states.

Apparently you've never heard of Full Faith and Credit? Let's say we have two couples that get married in Massachusetts, one couple is gay and the other straight. The straight couple's marriage is recognized in all 50 states, the gay couple's marriage only in a small handful. Why is this? Is it because of a state law or an unconstitutional Federal law?

And the courts certainly have the power to do away with all these unconstitutional state laws banning same sex marriage...and they will.

Legal, civil marriage is a government institution that is denied gay and lesbian couples. That is a FACT, a reality. Denying gays and lesbians equal access to that legal, civil marriage is discrimination.
No one can marry someone of the same gender.
Everyone can marry someone of the opposite gender.
Everyone has the same capacity, everyone has the same restriction.
Everyone is treated equally.
Thus, there is no discrimination.

That means we DO NOT have the same legal right...
Marriage is a privilige granted by the state, not a right.

The Supreme Court of the United States of America disagrees with you (and in more than one instance too I might add). They have declared that marriage is a fundamental right. Why do you think that interracial marriage laws (that varied state to state) were struck down?

Don't ya'll have even a basic understanding of what you are arguing?

And speaking of interracial marriage, your "argument" (for lack of a better word) was used when bigots were trying to keep blacks from marrying whites. The "argument" then was that the laws prohibiting blacks from marrying whites wasn't discrimination because it applied equally to men and women. Are you comforted knowing that your justification for bigotry is not new? You are in sad, pathetic company.

You know...if ya'll really want to fight for Polygamy or to marry your sister, go right ahead. If you get these things changed from being illegal to being legal, I'll even support your fight to marry the consenting adult(s) of your choice. Until ya'll get these relationships legalized, your tilting at windmills.

It is not illegal to be gay, just to be married to the consenting adult partner of your choice in most states. How stupid is that?

You know...if ya'll really want to fight for Polygamy or to marry your sister, go right ahead. If you get these things changed from being illegal to being legal, I'll even support your fight to marry the consenting adult(s) of your choice. Until ya'll get these relationships legalized, your tilting at windmills.

It is not illegal to be gay, just to be married to the consenting adult partner of your choice in most states. How stupid is that?

It's not illegal to live with three women, just illegal to marry all of them in all 50 states. How stupid is that? Again, where will it end?

This is not the first time President Obama has said something like this.
Doesn't matter. The federal government has no power to pass any such law - this is wholly and fully within the purview of the states.

Ultimately, it will become a federal issue as some states allow it and others do not. Federal law and tax codes will have to recognize gay marriages, so will the military.

Once gays marry in one state and move or visit another their status will have to be recognized.

It is only a matter of time

It's not illegal to live with three women, just illegal to marry all of them in all 50 states. How stupid is that? Again, where will it end?

Then FIGHT for it if it is what you want. I am a HUGE fan of Big Love. I'm right there with you dude...let's fight the fight. See, now someone must present a compelling state reason to deny you having multiple consenting adult spouses. Can anyone think of any? I can't.

Now, can you think of a compelling state reason for denying gays and lesbians legal marriage equality? What is the overriding harm in allowing these marriages?

Now that the thread has been dungeonized, I don't expect I'll get an answer...{sigh}

Then FIGHT for it if it is what you want. I am a HUGE fan of Big Love. I'm right there with you dude...let's fight the fight. See, now someone must present a compelling state reason to deny you having multiple consenting adult spouses. Can anyone think of any? I can't.

Now, can you think of a compelling state reason for denying gays and lesbians legal marriage equality? What is the overriding harm in allowing these marriages?

Now that the thread has been dungeonized, I don't expect I'll get an answer...{sigh}

You know the answer, you simply refuse to accept it as real or truth. The majority of the people have determined both practices to be immoral. Thus illegal.

You know the answer, you simply refuse to accept it as real or truth. The majority of the people have determined both practices to be immoral. Thus illegal.

Morality isn't determined by a vote

Homosexuality isn't illegal. Hell, the majority of Americans don't even believe it is immoral anymore.

2cqlvqnybuikm7dz4jllsg.gif

Let's pretend you have to argue this issue on a legal basis. Where is the overriding harm in allowing same sex couples legal marriage? What is the compelling state reason to deny them?

Homosexuality isn't illegal. Hell, the majority of Americans don't even believe it is immoral anymore.

Let's pretend you have to argue this issue on a legal basis. Where is the overriding harm in allowing same sex couples legal marriage? What is the compelling state reason to deny them?

Nope, I am no lawyer or legal expert by any means. Cannot go there because I would only sound like a fool. One needs to talk about what they know not what they could only guess. And if the majority were so in favor why do SSM issues fail so much? Sorry I can't buy it.

Nope, I am no lawyer or legal expert by any means. Cannot go there because I would only sound like a fool. One needs to talk about what they know not what they could only guess. And if the majority were so in favor why do SSM issues fail so much? Sorry I can't buy it.

That wasn't a poll on same sex marriage, but on American's feelings about the morality of same sex relationships. Polls vary on same-sex marriage with a recent one even showing slim minority support for gay marriage equality...Except when it comes to age. In all 50 states, those under 30 support gay marriage by an overwhelming majority.

marriagebyage.png

It's just a matter of time, but the courts are going to get there first. Just like you, even legal experts cannot come up with an overriding harm or compelling state reason.

Morality is in the eye of the beholder. Legality is not.

Forum List

Back