Gay Marriage moving towards federal law

shintao

Take Down ~ Tap Out
Aug 27, 2010
Seems states are in chaos on the issue, some say marry gays, while other say stick a fork in it, it is done. Next session look for gay marriage to be taken away from the states and made federal law.

Is Same Sex Marriage Next?
In an interview with The Advocate, President Obama sounds like he might soon publicly support same sex marriage.

Said Obama: "I'm wrestling with this. My attitudes are evolving on this. I have always firmly believed in having a robust civil union that provides the rights and benefits under the law that marriage does. I've wrestled with the fact that marriage traditionally has had a different connotation. But I also have a lot of very close friends who are married gay or lesbian couples."

"And squaring that circle is something that I have not done yet, but I'm continually asking myself this question and I do think that -- I will make this observation -- that I notice there is a big generational difference. When you talk to people who are in their 20s, they don't understand what the holdup is on this, regardless of their own sexual orientation. And obviously when you talk to older folks, then there's greater resistance."

Is Same Sex Marriage Next?

This is not the first time President Obama has said something like this. He is seeing which way the political wind blows and polls are showing less and less resistance to gay marriage each year. Support for same sex marriage now has a slim majority in some polls and an overwhelming majority in all 50 states by those under 30.

Personally, I think the Presidents previous statements about same sex marriage were more political than these. He was just saying what he thought the majority were thinking. They aren't anymore.

I think many Catholics/Christians and other religious people are tired of this fight. Personally, I think all people should have equal rights in this regard. Whether that comes in the form of a civil union, civil marriage, or whatever else they want to call it, it's fine by me. It's simply a legal status, nothing more. Same thing with heterosexual civil marriages.

Seems states are in chaos on the issue, some say marry gays, while other say stick a fork in it, it is done. Next session look for gay marriage to be taken away from the states and made federal law.

Not with a Republican controlled House.

Gay marriage shouldn't be federal or state law or any kind of law at all because the government shouldn't be deciding who can or can't get married. If a church wants to marry gays then let them marry gays. If a church of another faith doesn't want to, then they don't. Why is this the government's decision at all?

When I got married to my now ex-wife you know what fumed me? The fact we had to pay the government to get married through a marriage license. We have to have permission from the government to get married and pay them for that permission? What a crock of shit.

The government needs to step aside altogether. No more deciding who can get married and no more special tax breaks and credits for married people. The union should be recognized strictly for legal purposes and nothing more.

I think many Catholics/Christians and other religious people are tired of this fight.

Because people are realizing it's not a big deal. When the Massachusetts Supreme Court ruled gay marriage was legal close to 70% of people in the state were opposed to the decision. Today, the majority support it. Why? In my opinion because they've seen that it hasn't harmed a soul. The only state where there has really been a backlash is in Iowa where all the Supreme Court judges who were up for reelection this year got voted out and well, that's Iowa.

The government should get out of anything to do with marriage and simply ensure equal treatment of family couplings in terms of taxation, inheritance, power of attorney in times of emergency, etc....

Fucking government extending tendrils once again... and Shit-tao thinks it's a GOOD thing :rolleyes:

This country has outgrown this stupid issue.

Of course gay people should have every right any other person has.

Its really stupid this country is so behind on this issue.

I think the public opinion on gay marriage is changing. The repeal of DADT is a major first step. But the Republicans would never concede this issue on the national level. We will be decades away before we get a formal national level gay marriage legislation

I believe the issue will be settled by the courts and an increasing number of states that allow it. Once gays marry in one state and move to a state where the marriage is not recognized the courts will be forced to step in

They already do, idiot

This is just another 'screaming from the (gay) pulpit' attention getting... used as a means to expand the tendrils of government even more

how would you like the law to say you could not marry who you choose to marry?

I would like the law to stay out of marriage for everyone.... but only ensuring equal treatment of citizens under the law... AS IT SHOULD BE... not some nitpicky legislation expanding the influence and tendrils of government even more, hidden behind "good intentions"

I don't care if you choose to be with a guy, a girl, or your goddamn 3rd cousin with 2 penises

You have the right to be with anyone you wish...

When marriage and the institution of it is left with the religious organizations, there is no FORCED acceptance of a lifestyle mandated by government.. you can agree, disagree, like, hate, or whatever else... all on your own...
When it is in the hands of government, you are forced to tolerate or accept or whatever else... this goes against the concepts of freedom... something I will not stand for

Keep the government in this only on matters of government... recognizing a domiciled family unit in terms of taxation, inheritance, etc... and keep the FUCK out of all the rest

Not with a Republican controlled House.

Gay marriage shouldn't be federal or state law or any kind of law at all because the government shouldn't be deciding who can or can't get married. If a church wants to marry gays then let them marry gays. If a church of another faith doesn't want to, then they don't. Why is this the government's decision at all?

When I got married to my now ex-wife you know what fumed me? The fact we had to pay the government to get married through a marriage license. We have to have permission from the government to get married and pay them for that permission? What a crock of shit.

The government needs to step aside altogether. No more deciding who can get married and no more special tax breaks and credits for married people. The union should be recognized strictly for legal purposes and nothing more.

But the government IS involved. We have legal, civil marriage across this country and you are better off tilting at windmills than trying to get those rights, benefits and privileges taken away from legally married couples.

It is unlikely that DOMA will get repealed in the next two years with the GnOP controlled house, but the courts won't be stopping doing their business in that time. That is where same sex marriage is going to be won anyway so it doesn't really matter what the obstructionists do.

They already do, idiot

This is just another 'screaming from the (gay) pulpit' attention getting... used as a means to expand the tendrils of government even more

No they don't and it is ridiculous to contend they do. When my legal, civil marriage is recognized in all 50 states we will, but not until then.

I would like the law to stay out of marriage for everyone.... but only ensuring equal treatment of citizens under the law... AS IT SHOULD BE... not some nitpicky legislation expanding the influence and tendrils of government even more, hidden behind "good intentions"

I don't care if you choose to be with a guy, a girl, or your goddamn 3rd cousin with 2 penises

When marriage and the institution of it is left with the religious organizations, there is no FORCED acceptance of a lifestyle mandated by government.. you can agree, disagree, like, hate, or whatever else... all on your own...
When it is in the hands of government, you are forced to tolerate or accept or whatever else... this goes against the concepts of freedom... something I will not stand for

Keep the government in this only on matters of government... recognizing a domiciled family unit in terms of taxation, inheritance, etc... and keep the FUCK out of all the rest

Glad to hear you are pro gay marriage

They already do, idiot

No they don't and it is ridiculous to contend they do. When my legal, civil marriage is recognized in all 50 states we will, but not until then.

Right on

I agree, I also really don't see how having a federal law that makes gay 'marriage' legal is any different than the federal law that would have stated that the definition of 'marriage' was between a man and a woman. Two sides of the same coin, yet I can guarantee that those who were against the 'definition' law will be all for the pro gay marriage law.

They already do, idiot

You have the right to be with whomever you want in whatever type of kooky relationship you want.... just as anyone else does

Government has no business in the realm of marriage... and should only be interested in the equal treatment of persons and legally recognized domiciles.... not forcing acceptance or liking or whatever else....

Glad to hear you are pro gay marriage

No.. I am not... but nice try... try a little reading comprehension

I am pro equal treatment by government in matters that government should be truly involved in... taxation, inheritance, power of attorney, etc....

They already do, idiot

You have the right to be with whomever you want in whatever type of kooky relationship you want.... just as anyone else does

Government has no business in the realm of marriage... and should only be interested in the equal treatment of persons and legally recognized domiciles.... not forcing acceptance or liking or whatever else....

Great, thanks for the Libertarian stance, but how about we deal in realities? Legal, civil marriage is a government institution that is denied gay and lesbian couples. That is a FACT, a reality. Denying gays and lesbians equal access to that legal, civil marriage is discrimination. That means we DO NOT have the same legal right to that civil marriage that you do. That isn't equal rights.

Great, thanks for the Libertarian stance, but how about we deal in realities? Legal, civil marriage is a government institution that is denied gay and lesbian couples. That is a FACT, a reality. Denying gays and lesbians equal access to that legal, civil marriage is discrimination. That means we DO NOT have the same legal right to that civil marriage that you do. That isn't equal rights.

No... it is not and should not be any government institution...

Having it in the hands of government forces acceptance or liking or whatever else you wish to call it... which is in opposition of freedom... something I will not stand for

It is not discrimination when you can freely be with or not be with whomever you choose... you just wish to advance an agenda by legislation and expansion of government... you just want to feel justified for your choice... sorry... government is not there for your feelings and neither is the rest of the citizenry...

Forum List

Back