G Movies MORE Profitable Than R

onedomino said:
There are only two movies in the top 25 for total US box office that have been rated G. There are nine PG and twelve PG13 films in the top 25. The only R rated films on this list are the Passion of the Christ and The Matrix Reloaded.

Top 25 total US box office movies, followed by the amount of the box office in millions, and the rating. Total $8.9 billion in ticket sales.

1. Titanic $601 PG13
2. Star Wars $461 PG
3. Shrek 2 $436 PG
4. ET $435 PG
5. The Phantom Menace $431 PG
6. Spiderman $404 PG13
7. The Return of the King $377 PG13
8. Spiderman 2 $373 PG13
9. The Passion of the Christ $370 R
10. Jurassic Park $357 PG13
11. The Two Towers $340 PG13
12. Finding Nemo $340 G
13. Forrest Gump $330 PG13
14. The Lion King $328 G
15. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone $318 PG
16. The Fellowship of the Ring $314 PG13
17. Attack of the Clones $311 PG
18. Revenge of the Sith $310 PG13
19. Return of the Jedi $309 PG
20. Independence Day $306 PG13
21. Pirates of the Caribbean $305 PG13
22. The Sixth Sense 2EStrikes Back $290 PG
24. Home Alone $285 PG
25. Matrix Reloaded $281 R

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross

Profitable doesn't have to mean box office totals. If you make a movie that brings in $200 million at the box office, but cost $120 million to make, it's still profitable, but not nearly as much as it seems. If you make a movie that brings in $100 million, but made it for $3 million, the profit is higher.

I think the main reason G rated movies are making more money lately is because they are making better G rated movies. It used to be kiddie stuff, but now there are movies that are safe for the kids, but adults can enjoy them too. The Rookie is a good example.

Joz said:
I stated that in no way was your opinion devalued. I merely mentioned that because of your age & lack of experience you may not have quite the same view as those of us who have spent a few more years here. It was not meant to be insulting. Just fact. And you continue to prove my point.

Yes, respect is earned. And even tho' you do not know me or anything about me, I HAVE earned the right to be addressed respectfully. You're trying to run with the big dogs. Be careful.

What, you parented a kid? Whoopdy fucking doo. And news flash... no one respects condesending people or people that think they are ENTITLED to be respected.

JohnGalt said:
What, you parented a kid? Whoopdy fucking doo. And news flash... no one respects condesending people or people that think they are ENTITLED to be respected.

Actually I think one should start with the presumption of respect, until the person proves unworthy. Joz would never prove unworthy, nor most of the posters here, which you should well enough know.

JohnGalt said:

Back it off RIGHT NOW, son.

Jimmyeatworld said:
Profitable doesn't have to mean box office totals. If you make a movie that brings in $200 million at the box office, but cost $120 million to make, it's still profitable, but not nearly as much as it seems. If you make a movie that brings in $100 million, but made it for $3 million, the profit is higher.

I think the main reason G rated movies are making more money lately is because they are making better G rated movies. It used to be kiddie stuff, but now there are movies that are safe for the kids, but adults can enjoy them too. The Rookie is a good example.

This idea I like... I subscribe to WIRED magazine and they had an article showing how cheap animation movies are, and how quickly they get pumped out with a large payoff at the end. They are like an instant reward that doesn't cost much. Then you look at movies like Pirates of the Carribean... not a bad flick morally or entertainment wise, but it costs more to make than Shrek 2.

JohnGalt said:
This idea I like... I subscribe to WIRED magazine and they had an article showing how cheap animation movies are, and how quickly they get pumped out with a large payoff at the end. They are like an instant reward that doesn't cost much. Then you look at movies like Pirates of the Carribean... not a bad flick morally or entertainment wise, but it costs more to make than Shrek 2.

It's a no lose situation for the movie maker, as long as the movie is decent. The can get big name actors for the voices at a tenth of the price they make for a regular movie, but still use the name for advertising. They could get Joe Schmoe for the voice of a charecter, but people are going to notice if they hear the name Tom Hanks. As long as it's entertaining and worth the price of admission, it's all good.

Joz said:
..... And you continue to prove my point.
You're not here to learn. You're here to prove you have all the answers. So, now that you have the attention you wanted...dazzle us with your brillance.

Kathianne said:
Actually I think one should start with the presumption of respect, until the person proves unworthy. Joz would never prove unworthy, nor most of the posters here, which you should well enough know.

Well said.

And I still maintain that this is one of the major problems in today's society with "children."

They don't start with the presumption of respect and then wait for that respect to be loss. They are living in a "give me" world - stuff, money, grades, things, and respect.

"You prove to me you deserve respect - until then you are a piece of ......"

Galt - if you are going to graduate this year - and then venture out into the real world with this attitude, you are going to have a real problem with many people.

GotZoom said:
Well said.

And I still maintain that this is one of the major problems in today's society with "children."

They don't start with the presumption of respect and then wait for that respect to be loss. They are living in a "give me" world - stuff, money, grades, things, and respect.

"You prove to me you deserve respect - until then you are a piece of ......"

Galt - if you are going to graduate this year - and then venture out into the real world with this attitude, you are going to have a real problem with many people.

Yup, school is like life or vice versa. We all start with A's. It's ours to keep or lower.

GotZoom said:
Sad isn't it? I see such potential here. He's going to wonder why things keep going awry in his life.
Maybe we should direct him to the 'mental health' or 'relationship' threads.

JohnGalt said:
That's what I'm saying. When I go to R movies with friends I don't see kids in there with their parents. Anyway, to each his own... I like boobs, you like morals.

Me? I like the R Rated movies far more than the G movies. It's not all about teats either, I like explosions and violence too.

JohnGalt said:
I see where you are coming from... but in the back of my mind I have the nagging knowledge that Hitler was an adult, and Castro is old as dirt... they haven't earned my respect.

Just you speaking civil to me though makes ALOT of difference, that is a respect-worthy trait.

I re-read her post, there was nothing directly disrespectful in her post at all. Where do you feel you have been disrespected?

GotZoom said:
We disagreed with him.

How dare we.
Just now, on the way home, I realized this wasn't it. He's right about respect, it is earned. And it goes both ways. He doesn't know how to give respect because he doesn't know how to get respect.

no1tovote4 said:
Me? I like the R Rated movies far more than the G movies. It's not all about teats either, I like explosions and violence too.

Hey I like "R"rated for the action too..give the "Galt" a break though...his momma probably cut him off the breast feeding way to early...thus breast fixation! :blowup: much mo better than >>>>> :boobies: In movies anyway...but maybe not in real life!

• Thanks
Reactions: Joz
Joz said:
Just now, on the way home, I realized this wasn't it. He's right about respect, it is earned. And it goes both ways. He doesn't know how to give respect because he doesn't know how to get respect.

Agree with you on the second part but not the first.

My parents taught me to respect my elders. When I was in the grocery store goofing off and an adult (any adult) told me to stop, I ran with my tail between my legs.

My parents taught me that how I acted was a reflection on their ability to be a parent. I was embarrassing them when I acted up in public.

I respected my parents. If they told me no..that was the answer. Sure, I might complain a little but bottom line, they said no...that was it.

Today it is totally different - unfortunately. You tell some kid to stop goofing off and he flips you the bird or worse.

Some people have no respect for their "elders."

Joz - you have earned respect by virtue of the fact that you are older and "have been there."

We all start with A's. They are ours to keep or lower.

We all should start with respect for each other. Then take it from there.

GotZoom said:
Agree with you on the second part but not the first.

My parents taught me to respect my elders. When I was in the grocery store goofing off and an adult (any adult) told me to stop, I ran with my tail between my legs.

My parents taught me that how I acted was a reflection on their ability to be a parent. I was embarrassing them when I acted up in public.

I respected my parents. If they told me no..that was the answer. Sure, I might complain a little but bottom line, they said no...that was it.

Today it is totally different - unfortunately. You tell some kid to stop goofing off and he flips you the bird or worse.

Some people have no respect for their "elders."

Joz - you have earned respect by virtue of the fact that you are older and "have been there."

We all start with A's. They are ours to keep or lower.

We all should start with respect for each other. Then take it from there.
You are so right. If I'd gotten in trouble at school I'd have been in trouble when I got home. And how many times did a neighbor take you to your parents telling them of your unruly behavior?
But unless Galt is 13, he is old enough to understand the giving & getting of respect.

Forum List

Back