G Movies MORE Profitable Than R

GotZoom said:
But be prepared to have us respond to what you write. I, for one, would love to hear why teens hate and openly disrespect my generation.

If you ever find out let me know. I can't figure it out. Heck i still cant figure out that im not a teenager still. And i havent been a teenager for a few years.

Wait, you mean guys arent usually fixated on breasts?

Some of us are leg and face guys...I thought we were talking in context of "R"rated movies...I like action movies for the action not the boobies...one on one with a fox...of course I would take notice of the obvious...but on film it is akin to going to a candy store without a dime...Ya can't do the action as portrayed in action films so it is like a roller coaster ride... " the the thats all folks!" :firing:

archangel said:
Some of us are leg and face guys...I thought we were talking in context of "R"rated movies...I like action movies for the action not the boobies...one on one with a fox...of course I would take notice of the obvious...but on film it is akin to going to a candy store without a dime...Ya can't do the action as portrayed in action films so it is like a roller coaster ride... " the the thats all folks!" :firing:

totally agree. but that doesnt mean we dont like breasts:p but deffinately dont want to see them in a movie.

I have no problems with boobies in R rated movies

Actually a mix of European erotica
and Us violence makes good mindless
cinema.

What I really need is a good storyline.

I am sick of all that movies that work for 13 year olds
but makes me snore after 10 minutes.

JohnGalt said:
I see where you are coming from... but in the back of my mind I have the nagging knowledge that Hitler was an adult, and Castro is old as dirt... they haven't earned my respect.

Okay, first off let me admit I was screwing with you in the other thread. I'm not saying you were right, I'm just saying I was in the mood to pick a fight, you were a likely target, and I knew that would get you wound up (I really should go to Yahoo when I'm in those moods). But this is getting a little silly. You can take this logic and turn it the other way.

Billy the Kid killed his first man at roughly 17 years old.

Ted Bundy killed his first victim at 14.

Charles Manson was in prison at 17.

And, yes, Hitler refused to do manual labor and was homeless by the age of 19.

I'm sure you wouldn't want to be compared to any of these people, and I certainly hope you don't automatically compare every person older than you to Hitler and Castro.

You have flashes of wisdom, just try to do that more, we'll try to do the same. Remember, you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar.

Yeah, I know. Who wants flies?

nosarcasm said:
What I really need is a good storyline.

When we read the reviews of new movies, this is what we look for as well--a good story. For several years Hollywood (in my opinion) became obsesses with sex and violence and forgot to tell a good story. We got to the point where we enjoyed the movies made for TV better than what we saw in the theatre.

Jimmyeatworld said:
Okay, first off let me admit I was screwing with you in the other thread. I'm not saying you were right, I'm just saying I was in the mood to pick a fight, you were a likely target, and I knew that would get you wound up (I really should go to Yahoo when I'm in those moods). But this is getting a little silly. You can take this logic and turn it the other way.

Billy the Kid killed his first man at roughly 17 years old.

Ted Bundy killed his first victim at 14.

Charles Manson was in prison at 17.

And, yes, Hitler refused to do manual labor and was homeless by the age of 19.

I'm sure you wouldn't want to be compared to any of these people, and I certainly hope you don't automatically compare every person older than you to Hitler and Castro.

You have flashes of wisdom, just try to do that more, we'll try to do the same. Remember, you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar.

Yeah, I know. Who wants flies?

Kinda reminds me. Alexander the Great Conquored the known world by the age of 25. I think im underachieving a bit.

Kinda reminds me. Alexander the Great Conquored the known world by the age of 25. I think im underachieving a bit.

Wasn't the "known world" at that time about the size of Texas? :tng: J/K

Well, at least you can be the Master of your Domain.

Side note - did we lose our young friend? I sure hope we didn't scare him off.

GotZoom said:
....- did we lose our young friend? I sure hope we didn't scare him off.
I think he's displaying great wisdom here. He's learned how to keep his mouth shut.

Heheh. That reminds me of a joke.

Father to son: When Abe Lincoln was your age, he walked five miles to return a book.

Son to father: When Abe Lincoln was your age, he was President. What happened there?

The ratings system is extremely screwed up in America. The reason kids seem to be seeing more violent movies is that when the PG-13 rating was first created, it was for movies that were a little too racy to be PG. These days, though, pretty much every PG-13 you see was filmed as an R-rated movie, then trimmed ever-so-slightly in order to pass as a PG-13.

Compared to other countries, our movies are very, VERY tame. European films are very liberal with nudity and sexual situations, the difference being that these subjects are usually handled with respect, whereas in America it's mainly "hey, look, boobs!!!!!" The vast majority of Asian action films are far gorier and more violent than anything coming out of America.

Lately, ratings have gotten out of control. I am shocked that movies like School of Rock and Pirates of the Carribean recieved PG-13 ratings, considering both would be great fun for little kids.

I have nothing against the R-rating. When I watch certain movies, I want a realistic story, and in today's society, people often use words that are considered "bad".

But, I think the issue is that for a while there, movies were just plain crappy. It comes and goes, the late 70s/early 80's had great movies, the late 80s was mostly crap. Around 94, movies got better for a while, but then got crappy again. I think they've started getting better in the past few years again.

As for JohnGalt, I think when you're younger, it's easier to voice your opinion on a message board than in real life. He would not feel like an equal among you guys (just like I probably wouldn't), so it's easier for him to voice his opinions in something like this, where he feels equal. That can come across as arrogant at times, trust me I know, I've been there.

But, I've got to say, I disagree with the notion that people older than you should be respected just because they're older than you. Maybe it's just my/our generation, but I'm a firm believer in the Golden Rule. Everyone starts out even in my book, and they can either earn my respect by respecting me or doing something respectable, or they can lose my respect by disrespecting me or just being generally disrespectable. I don't know, like I said, maybe it's just my generation. I'm certainly polite to people that I don't know, no matter what their age is, but if someone crosses me or someone I respect or something like that, then I'm not going to respect you, and I'm not going to have any problems letting you know that.

Dan said:
But, I've got to say, I disagree with the notion that people older than you should be respected just because they're older than you. Maybe it's just my/our generation, but I'm a firm believer in the Golden Rule. Everyone starts out even in my book, and they can either earn my respect by respecting me or doing something respectable, or they can lose my respect by disrespecting me or just being generally disrespectable. I don't know, like I said, maybe it's just my generation. I'm certainly polite to people that I don't know, no matter what their age is, but if someone crosses me or someone I respect or something like that, then I'm not going to respect you, and I'm not going to have any problems letting you know that.

You have made my point exactly. You state that everyone starts out equal: Then they have to respect you to gain your respect, or disrespect you to lose your respect.

So everyone basically starts out as a zero. No opinion either way from you.

That is the difference in your generation and those older than you.

Your starting point is that everyone doesn't deserve anything either way. They have to earn it or make it worse.

With us, they already have our respect. They simply have to lose it.

So everyone basically starts out as a zero. No opinion either way from you.

Well, that's me, I don't want to talk for my entire generation because I could be wrong. It's just.... I know just as many people my age or even younger than me who I think deserve my respect as people who are older than me that I think deserve it. This isn't directed toward you or anyone on this board, because I respect all of you, but I don't see the importance in respecting someone just because they've been alive longer than I have.

Dan said:
Well, that's me, I don't want to talk for my entire generation because I could be wrong. It's just.... I know just as many people my age or even younger than me who I think deserve my respect as people who are older than me that I think deserve it. This isn't directed toward you or anyone on this board, because I respect all of you, but I don't see the importance in respecting someone just because they've been alive longer than I have.

Understand completely. You have the right, of course, to feel how you do.

It's just a shame.

Well, maybe our ideas of 'respect' are different. As I said, I'm polite to most all people older than me, but it's not necessarily because they're older, it's just because that's how I am. Obviously, I'll treat people my age differently when I first meet them, I talk to them differently, etc. If I saw a stranger that needed help, I'd help him regardless of his age. Really, the issue with me isn't with respecting people older than me, it's with showing those people more respect than anybody else. I think anyone here who's met me personally can avow for the fact that I'm not some young punk with no respect for anyone, in fact I have respect for most everyone (save for a very small group of people who have done me wrong). Which isn't to say that that's what anyone is saying here, I'm just scared that I'm coming across the way JohnGalt did at the beginning of this thread.

Dan said:

I don't think anybody is saying a person deserves respect because of their age. The point is, give a person the benefit of the doubt, no matter their age, and let them lose your respect through their actions. When it coems to someone older, at least give what they say some consideration. They've been there and done that. That's not to say there aren't people older than you that don't have a clue or are just jerks. I know a guy from work that is about 30 or 31, but has the attitude of the average (key word here is average) 14 year old, wanna-be jock. I've also known a couple of 13 year olds that are more mature than the average college student. Ultimately, you have to judge someone based on their actions, not their age.

• Thanks
Reactions: Dan
Jimmy, this is exactly what I was trying to say in my post, I guess I came across the wrong way.

The point is, give a person the benefit of the doubt, no matter their age, and let them lose your respect through their actions.

I agree with you, as far as I'm concerned, everyone starts at zero and they either go up or down based on their actions.

When it coems to someone older, at least give what they say some consideration. They've been there and done that.

I should've noted this earlier, as far as something that I realize someone would need to be older to understand, then I respect them on that. Like, I'm not going to try to pretend like I know more about working a job than my parents, or really anyone who's worked a hard job for years.

That's not to say there aren't people older than you that don't have a clue or are just jerks. I know a guy from work that is about 30 or 31, but has the attitude of the average (key word here is average) 14 year old, wanna-be jock. I've also known a couple of 13 year olds that are more mature than the average college student. Ultimately, you have to judge someone based on their actions, not their age.

This is what I was trying to say, just more well-worded. Thanks.

Now about that "golden rule" you mentioned. I heard that for the younger generation, the "golden rule" is this: he who has the gold rules. Is that what you had in mind? :)

Forum List

Back