Guardians Of The Galaxy 3 Why Is It Breaking Box Office Records

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
Feature-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-review.jpg

Finally they (Disney) came out with a movie that has a heartbeat.

Guardians Of The Galaxy 3 is showing Hollywood what the public wants.
The CGI is pretty spectacular, but the script and the acting is what really makes this film the gem that it is.

The Independent found it was "the best Marvel movie in years"

It's funny and it's real and there's very little of it that's predictable.
I don't know.....maybe I'm just thinking this because of all of the rubbish that they've been releasing lately.

I've seen the film 5 times so far and I still keep picking up stuff that I missed when I last viewed it.

3 movies into the series we get an origin film about Rocket.
No spoilers here....but it ties a lot of the history of Rocket (the super smart Raccoon) together, and explains what made him into what he is today.

Reception​

Box office​

As of July 31, 2023, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 has grossed $359 million in the United States and Canada, and $486.3 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $845.3 million.[3][4]

In the US and Canada, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 was projected to gross around $110 million from 4,450 theaters in its opening weekend.[218] The film made $48.2 million on its first day,[219] including $17.5 million from Thursday night previews. It went on to debut with $118.4 million, topping the box office.[220] In its second weekend, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 retained the top spot at the box office with $62 million,[221][222][223] a 48% decline from its opening weekend and the best second-weekend hold of any sequel in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and a notably smaller second-weekend decline than those of the franchise's recent releases, including Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (70%), Thor: Love and Thunder (68%), and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (67%).[223][224] The film made $32 million in its third weekend, being dethroned by Fast X.[225]

Outside the US and Canada, the film grossed $168.1 million in its opening weekend.[226] In its second weekend, the film grossed $92 million for a drop of 40% from its opening weekend. As of May 27, 2023, the highest grossing territories were China ($77.4 million), the United Kingdom ($36 million), Mexico ($30.8 million), South Korea ($26.7 million), and France ($24.3 million).[227]

Critical response​

The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported an approval rating of 82% based on 384 reviews with an average rating of 7.2/10. The site's critics consensus reads: "A galactic group hug that might squeeze a little too tight on the heartstrings, the final Guardians of the Galaxy is a loving last hurrah for the MCU's most ragtag family."[228] On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 64 out of 100, based on 63 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".[229] Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A" on an A+ to F scale, the same as the previous two Guardians films, while PostTrak reported that moviegoers gave the film a 91% positive score, with 79% saying they would definitely recommend it.[220]

The Independent found it was "the best Marvel movie in years"[230] as did Vox[231] and the CBC.[232] In mixed reviews, Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian[233] and Nicholas Barber of the BBC agreed the film was overlong, Barber opining that "the film's saving grace is that, just as Gunn has been allowed to unleash his gonzo imagination, he has also been allowed to pour out his emotions."[234] Wendy Ide of The Observer lauded the films for its emotional weight and deemed it a satisfying conclusion, stating that "What elevates Vol 3 (supposedly the final film in the GOTG series) is the way it keeps that personality, nodding to the irreverent swagger that is a crucial component of the Guardians USP while delivering a series of devastating emotional sucker punches along the way."[235] Matt Singer from ScreenCrush praised the film for concluding Rocket's arc story stating that "a character tells Rocket that the events unfolding onscreen have been his story all along — and with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, it does feel like Marvel has spent $200 million on a movie about a melancholy space raccoon looking for love and acceptance."[236] Writing for The Verge, Charles Pulliam-Moore praised the film's action sequences and storyline and commented that "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 tells the action-packed, flashback-filled story of how Rocket Raccoon's (Bradley Cooper) life being gravely endangered gives the rest of the Guardians a reason to come together and really start working on some of the emotional issues that've been haunting them since Endgame."[237] The Hindustan Times praised Gunn's direction and writing, commenting that "As James Gunn concludes his journey with these characters he clearly cares so deeply about, you can't help but reflect on your own. Walking out, I had my own little flashback montage playing in my head of all the adventures we've been on and foes we've faced with this lovable group of galaxy-saving idiots."[238] Nathan Durr of CBS News praised the film's soundtrack and stated that "There's no exception here regarding the soundtrack as Gunn and company cleverly implement songs that add weight to the complexities and emotions of the characters."[239]

GuardiansOfTheGalaxy1683287606570.jpg

Last edited:
People want to escape reality so pictures like this are popular.

Pictures that are entertaining and not in your face with an agenda.
This one just happens to have a lot of heart to it.
Lot's of unforced emotional content. Kind of rare for a Disney product.
With everything being so political today it is refreshing to escape into a fantasy.

I think these movies are a gross misrepresentation of raccoons ... they're a A LOT sweeter in reality ... face it, the part was written for a jackal ... cheapskate producers brought in a scab ... only great acting saved that part ... non-union so no credit ...

The casting was terrible ... Chris Pratt was the wrong choice, but he makes it work ... and work well ... Zoe looks better in blue ... and Vin Diesel, what a waste of talent ... and where are the doughnuts, every great scifi movie has doughnuts ...

I think these movies are a gross misrepresentation of raccoons ... they're a A LOT sweeter in reality ... face it, the part was written for a jackal ... cheapskate producers brought in a scab ... only great acting saved that part ... non-union so no credit ...

The casting was terrible ... Chris Pratt was the wrong choice, but he makes it work ... and work well ... Zoe looks better in blue ... and Vin Diesel, what a waste of talent ... and where are the doughnuts, every great scifi movie has doughnuts ...
Vin Diesel makes "I AM GROOT" sound like Shakespeare. *sarcasm*

View attachment 810066

The CGI is pretty spectacular, but the script and the acting is what really makes this film the gem that it is.

I don't know.....maybe I'm just thinking this because of all of the rubbish that they've been releasing lately.

I've seen the film 5 times so far and I still keep picking up stuff that I missed when I last viewed it.

No spoilers here....but it ties a lot of the history of Rocket (the super smart Raccoon) together, and explains what made him into what he is today.

View attachment 810067
Have not seen it yet. So I don't know. I remember the first one. Was not jumping up and down to see it. At the time it came out I had experienced about 20 strait years of nothing but Disney and nickelodeon on the TV at home. Was ki da tired of nothing but kid shit. How ever I was pleasantly surprised and liked it. I fish all day spring summer and fall. Deer hunt in January. I will get around to seeing it in February.

Obviously, you have never had a bleading hunting dog come limping back from an encounter with a boar coon.

View attachment 810066

View attachment 810067
5x?......i aint seen that kind of shit since star wars.....

People want to escape reality so pictures like this are popular.
Science fiction has been popular entertainment in books and movies for over 100 years.

If you don't like it then don't watch it.

Escape reality? Yea. However, I would rather spend a couple of hours watching entertainment like this than listening to the reality of how fucked up Joe Potatohead screwed up the economy.

Obviously, you have never had a bleading hunting dog come limping back from an encounter with a boar coon.

Dogs and wolves aren't subject to Biblical dietary rules ... it's only humans who can't eat raccoons, and raccoons know it ...

It's cats who can't digest doughnut material:

Working out of town, and the entire crew stayed in the same motel. We grilled steaks and burgers every night out by the pool. A wild coon came and would take craps from our hands, until one day he wanted a hand more than scraps. Took 12 stitches to sew the guy's hand up.

Working out of town, and the entire crew stayed in the same motel. We grilled steaks and burgers every night out by the pool. A wild coon came and would take craps from our hands, until one day he wanted a hand more than scraps. Took 12 stitches to sew the guy's hand up.

Yeah ... so? ... an average house cat will do that ... but a raccoon with a proton blaster? ... c'mon, that's dog family all the way ...

Forum List

Back